The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

“Should Michail Antonio score against Leicester this evening, he will surpass Paolo Di Canio's 47-goal haul and become the club's record Premier League goalscorer.”

Which still puts him over 250 goals behind their record for league goals scored, and less than a third of the way towards the 180 top flight goals Geoff Hurst scored for West Ham. I don’t mean to be all “old man yells at cloud” but I really don’t get the fascination with records since 1992. I know TV does it a lot but do any fans actually care about players’ Premier League records?

• Paid Members

This is a club that celebrates Mark Noble as a club legend, and not in an ironic way like Everton fans do with Tony Hibbert.

Last time somebody scored 20+ league goals for West Ham in the top flight? Tony Cottee in 1987. 34 years ago. That's really poor.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, PunkStep said:

This is a club that celebrates Mark Noble as a club legend, and not in an ironic way like Everton fans do with Tony Hibbert.

I was talking to our @IANdrewDiceClay about Noble on Twitter the other day, I couldn't believe he'd scored that many goals and I couldn't remember a single one of them. I'd have guessed he'd have scored about 14 at most.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was talking to our @IANdrewDiceClay about Noble on Twitter the other day, I couldn't believe he'd scored that many goals and I couldn't remember a single one of them. I'd have guessed he'd have scored about 14 at most.

Funny you bring this up, because a feed of "greatest football comebacks" came up on the youtube feed today, and Noble scored twice against United in that game Rooney told the camera to "fuck off." He's a phantom scorer. One of those blokes who scores a penalty and you're so pissed off West Ham are 1-0 up you dont recognise its him.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How many of them were pens? Most of them surely.

I've been chatting with friends tonight about this, one of them is a Hammer. We've been making it clear to him that West Ham are bloody awful at signing/developing/scouting decent strikers. Other than Defoe, Tevez (who wasn't great for them during his short stint) and Di Canio (if he counts as a striker?), no other strikers have either been brilliant for West Ham or were poached from them and went on to be excellent for that club.

Can't count Kanoute, as they sold him to Spurs and he was shit there before he was brilliant at Sevilla. There's Haller, but they got shot of him rather than losing him to another club (he's doing well at Ajax).

They're really shit when it comes to strikers. 

• Paid Members

I know he wasn’t consistent or even that good but fond memories of a Monday night where a Marlon Harewood hat trick in a 4-0 against Villa was probably the most awful smackdown of a centre back (Liam Ridgewell) that I’ve ever seen a forward bestow.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Apology accepted. 

You're a mick originally aren't you? 

Born within 200 yards of the Racecourse. So I'm best at football. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

West Ham’s biggest problem isn’t scouting or developing talent. Remember, this is the club which produced Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Defoe, Rio and Anton Ferdinand and more recently Declan Rice. But our club is run on a shoe string. Always has, which is why those players go off to success elsewhere. Also, we struggle to attract players as we have bigger local rivals with deeper pockets. The biggest issue with the club is our physio and rehabilitation. When a player gets injured their gone for ages, and when you don’t have a big squad, it makes all the difference. It’s why last season after a big run, we scraped a European place, barely, because Antonio when out injured and we had no one to step up. 

That said, I think we’ve been playing well, especially after Lingard went back after his loan spell, but we’re only an injury away from becoming the same old West Ham again.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

West Ham’s biggest problem isn’t scouting or developing talent. Remember, this is the club which produced Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Defoe, Rio and Anton Ferdinand and more recently Declan Rice.

8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

We've been making it clear to him that West Ham are bloody awful at signing/developing/scouting decent strikers. Other than Defoe, Tevez (who wasn't great for them during his short stint) and Di Canio (if he counts as a striker?), no other strikers have either been brilliant for West Ham or were poached from them and went on to be excellent for that club.

Can't count Kanoute, as they sold him to Spurs and he was shit there before he was brilliant at Sevilla. There's Haller, but they got shot of him rather than losing him to another club (he's doing well at Ajax).

They're really shit when it comes to strikers. 

Meltzered!

Of course, always remember Defoe. Charlton sure will, after all.

• Paid Members

You're never going to get many modern day West Ham strikers go on to get anywhere near 50 goals for the club, because of both their place in the football world, and the clubs ownership. They could have signed Ronaldo, Messi and Micheal Ricketts all in their prime, and the minute they approached the 20 goal mark in a season, half the Premier League would be bidding the lower end of their market value, and Brady and her mates would bite their hands off. 

I totally feel the fan's pain too. We get it all the time as Barnsley fans...

I don't think they've had strikers that were in high demand from other clubs, have they? Tevez obviously. Demba Ba, Bellamy. Mostly though, they've had a striker that'll get them about 10 in the league supplemented by some back ups that are dross, injured, or haven't clicked. They've not had ones approaching 20 goals a season for a long time anyway.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I don't think they've had strikers that were in high demand from other clubs, have they? Tevez obviously. Demba Ba, Bellamy. Mostly though, they've had a striker that'll get them about 10 in the league supplemented by some back ups that are dross, injured, or haven't clicked. They've not had ones approaching 20 goals a season for a long time anyway.

No, it was just a(poorly worded) example of why I still don't think they will they would have had a striker scoring boatloads year in year out for an extended period of time even if they could identify and develop them. 

But as it is, unless there is a buyout they will continue to be run like paupers, despite betting in excess of £100m a season in TV money and a full 50 odd thousand seater stadium that they pay a pittance in rent for. 

I wouldn't say they're run like paupers. They spent ÂŁ45m on Haller a few seasons back. In the past they've spent a fair whack on wages for players that haven't produced too. I think Andy Carroll was on about ÂŁ100k a week. Kieron Dyer was on close to that going back, and obviously that was a higher rate back then.

They've made some smart signings for less money recently which is bringing them more success.