The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Weird poignancy to Arsenal going over to clap the smattering of supporters left at the whistle, there. Looked like regulation day. I know thatsthejoke.gif but it did, beyond saying it to be funny. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The ones outside the ground or the Arsenal defenders? ROFL ROFL

20210828_144125.jpg

From Twitter, not my work for the record, but it feels appropriate. 

Edited by mim731
Establishing it's not my handywork

• Paid Members

Kolasinac has spent all week trying to get his contact terminated so he can move to Fenerbahce. Cedric is proper shit. Chambers and Holding are trying to give Phil Jones a run for the longest 'they might come good' award. We played two midfielders against a team that dominate the midfield. Xhaka did a Xhaka fresh from his shiny new contract. Biggest spenders in Europe so far this summer. 

What the fuck are we doing. 

Since the start of the season, we've had the following players missing from at least one of the 3 games:

Auba, Lacazette, Partey, Pepe, White, Saka, Gabriel and Odegard (who's just joined). 

That's almost a starting 11. Most of these have missed 2 of the 3 games, and couple have only just started training. 

I'm not defending Arteta as such as I do think that the experiment has failed. But I think any manager would struggle for results with that bad hand being dealt. 

That said, if we can buy a RB before Tuesday, and have a full strength team back, 4 of our next 5 PL games are all winnable. The Derby could go either way. 

I think Arteta has to win 4 of those games to keep his job. But of course, he could also be gone before the derby if he doesn't get results. 

43 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

The Derby could go either way. 

I think Arteta has to win 4 of those games to keep his job. But of course, he could also be gone before the derby if he doesn't get results. 

I think we all know what will happen if Arteta goes before the derby.

Arsenal will experience 'New manager bounce' and win. Having said that, he won't go as Arsenal are too good (stop laughing) for this to continue long term. That defence is absolutely terrible though.

I was genuinely surprised to read that 'highest spenders in Europe' stat though. 

Love some Spurs fans saying "Oh I hope they don't get relegated, I'd miss the derbies" Absolute sadists. Surely you'd want to see your rivals struggle and go down, as silly as that is? 

50 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think we all know what will happen if Arteta goes before the derby.

Arsenal will experience 'New manager bounce' and win. Having said that, he won't go as Arsenal are too good (stop laughing) for this to continue long term. That defence is absolutely terrible though.

I was genuinely surprised to read that 'highest spenders in Europe' stat though. 

Love some Spurs fans saying "Oh I hope they don't get relegated, I'd miss the derbies" Absolute sadists. Surely you'd want to see your rivals struggle and go down, as silly as that is? 

Absolutely. Maybe not fire them in to oblivion but a relegation or two for Everton would be hilarious. Would I miss the 4 points a season? Maybe. It certainly wouldn’t dampen the cries of “merrrrrrrrderrrrrrerrrrs” from the blue in work who used to fight his way around Europe (he hasn’t for a while) but it’d be ammunition for the rest of my days and would be funny as fuck.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

I think Arteta has to win 4 of those games to keep his job. But of course, he could also be gone before the derby if he doesn't get results

They've just given him £130m to spend on players HE wanted. I don't think they'll get rid of him even if we lose the next few games on the bounce. Remember, this is the club that were prepared to offer Emery a new contract after the dismal Europa League final (the one that he actually didn't win).