The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Can anyone explain how they can look at the video of the Vestergaard handball and not notice that Maupay has hold of his arm? Some proper shite VAR calls this weekend but that one is one of the worst I've ever seen. To some extent I get why they're not interfering with the Tsimikas trip on Benteke, the Wan Bissaka one on Soucek, the Coufal on Ronaldo and the Harvey Barnes offside. They're trying to go with the ruling on the pitch is right unless it's catastrophically wrong but it's still a horrible mess. And the one they really did overrule, the Kyle Walker penalty was an absolute joke. Probably wasn't a red, but it's a clear penalty. VAR is still shite.

• Paid Members

How can anyone look at the Ronaldo one and *not* think that was catastrophically wrong? It's one of the easiest penalty decisions you could ask for as a ref.

VAR could be a genuine aid to making the game better if they just left it alone and stopped putting directives and guides in place as to how it should be used. But no. It's football so they have to fuck about with it to get on everyone's tits.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How can anyone look at the Ronaldo one and *not* think that was catastrophically wrong? It's one of the easiest penalty decisions you could ask for as a ref.

VAR could be a genuine aid to making the game better if they just left it alone and stopped putting directives and guides in place as to how it should be used. But no. It's football so they have to fuck about with it to get on everyone's tits.

I am surprised the Ronaldo one wasn't called, but if you slow it down, before he makes contact, his back leg is already being dragged ready for contact/going down. I think his reputation is going to effect decisions. The Wan Bissaka one, I have no idea what happened there.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

he kicks the ball to his left but instead of running to the ball, runs into Coufal to get a foul. Not a penalty Clive.

His movement is completely natural there. Slowing it down exaggerates it, as it always does, but he's done nothing wrong. He knows the foul is coming because he's that clever, but he's done him and he's fouled him. It's a penalty.

The Zouma one isn't, he threw himself down before any contact, though again, the contact was coming anyway because he'd done him, he just needed to wait for it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

His movement is completely natural there. Slowing it down exaggerates it, as it always does, but he's done nothing wrong. He knows the foul is coming because he's that clever, but he's done him and he's fouled him. It's a penalty.

The Zouma one isn't, he threw himself down before any contact, though again, the contact was coming anyway because he'd done him, he just needed to wait for it.

It's not a hill I am willing to die on, so except your reasons as to why. However if he is going to intentionally do things to cause a foul, I don't think it is going to be a successful season for him winning penalties. He's a good enough to not need to do that kind of thing.

• Paid Members
Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's not a hill I am willing to die on, so except your reasons as to why. However if he is going to intentionally do things to cause a foul, I don't think it is going to be a successful season for him winning penalties. He's a good enough to not need to do that kind of thing.

That's part of the reason I'm sure it's a penalty, he wanted to get past Coufal and get a shot away. And he'd probably score. There's no reason for him to cheat there. The Zouma one, I don't think he's particularly cheating. Zouma jumped in like the clumsy fucker he is and stopped him getting to the ball. If he just takes the contact, it's a pen too.

Successful teams attract fans. I’m sure that sustained success from city will attract out of towners in the coming years. Utd and Liverpool have the generational glory hunter thing going as well, my dad supported them so I do too. City don’t have that, yet. 

But ultimately, mocking fans for empty seats is poverty shaming and can fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Successful teams attract fans. I’m sure that sustained success from city will attract out of towners in the coming years. Utd and Liverpool have the generational glory hunter thing going as well, my dad supported them so I do too. City don’t have that, yet. 

But ultimately, mocking fans for empty seats is poverty shaming and can fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

Got to agree with this. I've known plenty of Man City fans and the vast majority are long term fans who've been through the ups and downs of the last 30 odd years plus.

The fans are almost always generational and as far as I am aware there hasn't been an influx of new fans outside of the traditional supporting routes brought on by successes they've had. 

Many  now cant afford or cannot be arsed or are not wanting to return as regularly following the Pandemic. Generally the fan base demographic is also older and have less spends because of the Pandemic. 

One guy I know is a season ticket holder mid to late 50s and puts himself in all kinds of difficulties just to get vfm on his season ticket and keep his seat. I'm sure there's plenty of others and no idea why this has blown up into such a big deal. 

Following football is massively expensive these days. I couldn't follow teams home and away each week. I'd be utterly broke even attempting to try, so gawd knows how everyone else coprs 

• Paid Members

Remarkable how all these poor, destitute City fans from Ardwick, Cheetham Hill and Moss Side (?) were suddenly able to scrape together enough pennies for Saturday's match after Guardiola did a Delia, but ok, lads.