The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

My ex neighbour wore an Aston Villa shirt every now and again. The first time I spotted the fella he was wearing the shirt, out the front of the house, working away. Peculiar says I. Whatever. Chatting to him a couple of days later I was bloody stunned to learn that he was a Villa fan, and not just wearing it to dig up his spuds in the garden.

"Villa? Really Patrick? How'd that happen? You're the only one I've ever seen in the wild."

Naturally, I'm surprised whenever anyone here isn't a Liverpool or Manchester United follower. Villa Patrick took the biscuit though. Well, some could be Rangers or Celtic too, but when faced with that can of worms, best pretend 'football' is Aussie Rules or something and that you've never even heard of Scotland. 

Edited by WeeAl

15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Since football began.

There is zero wrong with having a playful jab (like when it comes to the Emirates and their "attendances") at your rivals (that's very much part of the fun of football) but when it goes into poverty shaming, it's pretty rank. 

Anyway, no big stadium is ever an actual sell out so I dont know what the fuck those types of fans are crowing about.

Is it even a real football rivalry if fans are having a "playful jab" though? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, David said:

No. There's nothing more cringe worthy than when fans of rival teams do it as well. 

Edited by PowerButchi

11 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Not just a former team, a founding member

Luton Town came close, they were one of the clubs that voted to form the Premier League but were relegated at the end of the 91/92 season and never got to play in it, they were subsequently relegated from the league but have since come back and are now in the Championship.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Luton Town came close, they were one of the clubs that voted to form the Premier League but were relegated at the end of the 91/92 season and never got to play in it, they were subsequently relegated from the league but have since come back and are now in the Championship.

Notts County were relegated in 91/92 too. They're still non-league. That Oldham vs. Notts County was a top flight game in 1992 and could be a non-league fixture next year seems insane to me but then I have a hard time believing the gap is is 30 years.

2 hours ago, David said:

I have time for fans of most teams to be honest, even Arsenal.

But when it comes to West Ham, I go "full tribal football fan" as they are, without fail, cunts. Each and every one of them.

Circling back to the discussion earlier, this is a long and brilliant read about the origins of Man Utd’s core working class support and how it contrasts with the globalisation of the game centred around Ronaldos return. Take some time out and give it a read if you can. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/insider/story/_/id/32218044/super-league-rage-ronaldo-mania-fight-soul-manchester-united

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Well, some could be Rangers or Celtic too, but when faced with that can of worms, best pretend 'football' is Aussie Rules or something and that you've never even heard of Scotland. 

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I got talking to some Irish lads who initially thought I was one of the acts in a pub and one of them asked me if I was "Celtic or Rangers". My response of "I don't really follow football" was met with some confusion before I was asked again as his mate returned from the bar and cuffed him around the back of the head. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I got talking to some Irish lads who initially thought I was one of the acts in a pub and one of them asked me if I was "Celtic or Rangers". My response of "I don't really follow football" was met with some confusion before I was asked again as his mate returned from the bar and cuffed him around the back of the head. 

Sounds about right Tommy. Those that ask that type of question over here, tend to get easily confused.