• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I wonder how long it'll take the Daily Mail to publish an article about how despicable Prince George not singing the national anthem was.

Is George one of William's or Harry & Megan's? 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Being woke Marxists is working out pretty well so far.

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Kane reads Das Kapital.

7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Grealish seizes the means of production.

All part of Southgate's Glorious Five-Year Plan

18 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I keep reminding myself Southgate was the PR-safe emergency option following Big Sam that few wanted to even give a chance. He’s done remarkably well and I can see him remaining manager for quite a while.

This was lovely. He needn't feel bad for something that happened 25 years ago (Paul fucking Ince should though!!! Guvnor? Bottler more like), but he clearly still does and I hope today was a bit of closure for him.

• Paid Members

England haven't travelled anywhere near as much as Ukraine have, which will have an effect. A quick jag to Italy for the quarters is nothing compared to how much travelling the Ukraine side have had to do. I wonder how differently this tournament would be going if there wasn't as much travel involved. If Wales hadn't had to travel from Cardiff to Azerbaijan and back twice would they have fared a little better against Denmark? 

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

England haven't travelled anywhere near as much as Ukraine have, which will have an effect. A quick jag to Italy for the quarters is nothing compared to how much travelling the Ukraine side have had to do. I wonder how differently this tournament would be going if there wasn't as much travel involved. If Wales hadn't had to travel from Cardiff to Azerbaijan and back twice would they have fared a little better against Denmark? 

It's only sitting. 

They don't travel like we do, all couped up with a carry on bag tucked under their seat and fighting for an armrest. I imagine they won't be dragging a 20kg suitcase behind them as they wait for their airport transfer either. 

• Paid Members

I think the travel thing is a valid comment, but when players like Gunter come out and slag off the tournament format when Wales got played off the park, I think that's a bit rum. That was sod all to do with travel and everything to do with Denmark being the better team. 

Thank god it goes back to one country for the next one though (Germany 24) - for a country with all the stadiums built already must lap up the financial benefits of a tournament like this. Whereas this format only seems to benefit UEFA.

On a different note, looked at semi-final and final tickets - EUR595 being the most expensive, going down to EUR195. (Incidentally, the semi that England could be in is sold out anyway).  Thats just craziness.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, marc2j said:

I think the travel thing is a valid comment, but when players like Gunter come out and slag off the tournament format when Wales got played off the park, I think that's a bit rum. That was sod all to do with travel and everything to do with Denmark being the better team. 

If you read his statement in full he never said it was an excuse for losing against Denmark (just a harsh scoreline), but its still a bullshit format and a valid comment to make.

The fact that the second goal should never have stood and Harry Wilson's red card was ridiculously harsh was just further frustration on top of a difficult fortnight.

You hold a tournament that's supposedly designed to share games across Europe, but resulting in a baffling scenario when you're allowing teams like Russia (who hosted the last WC) and Germany (hosting the next Euros) to play at home throughout? England could feasibly end up winning while only leaving Wembley once.

So in essence, a load of bigger countries that could and probably will end up hosting a full tournament on their own have benefitted here at the expense of others.

But worse of all, and massively exacerbated by Covid, Wales and Switzerland faced having to travel to Baku and then Italy away in Rome for their games. I've been to Azerbaijan before, its not an easy or cheap place to get to at the best of times, it borders Iran for fuck sakes.

For the round of 16 the Netherlands wasn't letting anyone in from Britain so the Danes filled the stadium (and were very twattish from all accounts). So Wales were basically playing at an away venue again, against a team who travelled 400 miles over their first four games after three ties in Copenhagen.

While Wales were voted the best fans of the tournament in 2016, no more than 300 fans travelled to any of the games this time out due to being shafted with where the games were held. Depending on the venue it was either impossible, very difficult or prohibitively expensive to travel, with the Welsh Gov urging supporters not to go at all.

To then see other countries playing in front of tens of thousands of their own just rubs salt into the wound. I almost threw my foot through the TV when Rio Ferdinand was waxing lyrical about how great it was to have an almost full Wembley yesterday.

I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that the Welsh team has as strong or a stronger bond with its fanbase than most nations, and there isn't a tendency to turn on the team no matter what's happening on the pitch. The players missed the red wall and there was massive frustration back home, with some having hardly missed a match in decades.

The whole competition leaves a bit of a sour taste in many people's mouths.

https://nation.cymru/news/chris-gunter-blasts-euro-2020-as-joke-set-up-of-a-tournament/?fbclid=IwAR0TwCJKgjprmuOPP7ectGCjJm3Q_pFF7yqIaeXRgkYqzLQdlhKxwX3OKSU

Edited by garynysmon