• Paid Members

I am hoping that we've been especially drab in the openers because Southgate didn't want to show his hand before the knockouts. That said, I am probably giving the waist coat wearing dweeb too much credit and England's chances will rely on what Germany team we face today. I am not expecting to see more then 3 goals to be scored though regardless. I don't see a clear winner right now though. Spain may have scored 6 goals yesterday, but they only just got through. I think it's going to be an exciting conclusion if nothing else.

I think it’s incredibly generous to think that Southgate has been holding his boys back in some sort of tactical master plan and now they’re going to unleash their true might like Yoda in Attack of the Clones. He’s just a dull unimaginative safe manager.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

the waist coat wearing dweeb

I thought this sort of nonsense was just Twitter.

Before this tournament, everyone thought England's biggest weakness was in defence, especially once Harry Maguire was injured. We got done in the World Cup Semi and we got done in the Nations League Semi being wide open. Southgate isn't stupid, he knows the game and he knows he has to build a team to protect the back three or four. He's also watched as a pragmatic Portugal side and a pragmatic French side won the last two trophies. He's got fantastic options up front and he can pick most combinations of them and let them get on with it, like France did. It seems like everyone thinks we should be building a team featuring Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Mount, Bellingham, Rashford, Kane and Calvert-Lewin that doesn't have to defend but that's fantasy stuff. Southgate has looked at what works in major tournaments, knows how crucial set pieces are and has built his team to win games against the best sides - which is something England are constantly accused of not doing.

I've made peace with the fact that he can't win, I'm sure he has. He just has to do what he thinks will win games. Will it work? We'll find out but it has to be well thought out and something we commit to which it is. Dev mentioned Keegan earlier, hopefully in jest. He was a populist manager trying to appease everyone. He has bundles of talented attacking players at his disposal and tried to please with his selections. It didn't nearly work. Let's be honest, fuck all has worked. When Fabio Capello fails, accept it's a job no one is making a go off.

Keegan was, by his own admission, well out of his depth as well. The job was too big for him at the time.

For all his faults (and I sit here as someone who is not an international football manager), I think Southgate has done an great job as England manager. 

Could he have been more adventurous? Sure. If it was up to me, I'd eradicate the DM position altogether from football and play 5 up front, but then like @tiger_ricksays that is pure fantasy. 

And gain, I'm not an international manager, trying to win a tournament with players I have for a few weeks a year.

I like Southgate. I'm not massively arsed if England do well, but I'd like him to achieve something. And Kane I suppose. Get him to shut the fuck up about winning trophies at least.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I thought this sort of nonsense was just Twitter.

Nah, on Twitter it’s “waistcoat nonce.”

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Yeah no complaints on Saka, he was outstanding against the Czechs. Leaving both Foden and Grealish out is sending my timelines spastic. 

Can't please everyone. People think Sterling shouldn't play despite scoring two winning goals.

8 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

With Ireland not qualifying and my adopted Portugal out I have lost a bit of interest in the Euros. Hopefully Germany give England a spanking, will keep the flag shaggers quiet at least. 

Denmark or Sweden for me to win I hope. 

Put your dummy back in soft cock