Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

I’d just like to remind everyone that NXTs Aliyah is still signed despite being stuck in developmental for close to the past decade and having not improved one iota in that time 🤷‍♂️ 

How exactly do WWE decide who stays and who goes? It can’t be purely about talent...

EDIT: It’s actually closer to five years but fuck me if the last five haven’t felt like 10.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

13 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Video game publishers have been doing this for years, WWE are just behind the times as usual. 

Activision are particularly bad for it.

Someone might correct me on this but isn't it about impressing share holders? 

But surely that's a VERY different example? A game companies profits are always going to be highest when they release people. A) They've just released a game and B) There is less work for their employees. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

How exactly do WWE decide who stays and who goes? It can’t be purely about talent...

Some of it is presumably cost-benefit; when Mike Chioda was released, I'm pretty sure it's because his long tenure meant that he was getting paid a lot more than most referees, and they figured that they had people who could do his job for less. With Samoa Joe, if either he hadn't been cleared to return to the ring or else they decided that he was retired, they may have come to the conclusion that he was getting paid too much for a colour commentator role that could be filled by someone else with a different contract structure.

Where NXT talent are confirmed, their contracts are likely set up differently, and it's probably not costing the company all that much to keep them on the books, compared to someone on the main roster. And when it comes to justifying NXT expenses to shareholders, there's the "developing talent" angle that doesn't exist for the likes of Bo Dallas and Tucker being on the main roster but doing sod all. 

I also seem to remember from last year that NXT releases weren't necessarily announced in the same way that main roster releases are, so it may be that NXT (and NXT:UK?) talent have been released, but we won't know until they start confirming it themselves. Or maybe that's still to come in a few days. 

Always staggering that they never gave Joe the World Title at one point. Also his match with Lesnar which was heating up into a cracker was cut short by one F5. The line when he told Brock to look at him when he was talking to him got such a reaction only WWE could somehow not pull the trigger.

But this is incredibly exciting for Joe to walk into AEW/Japan. There's so much potential there

• Paid Members

one of the things that makes Joe showing up anywhere exciting is that he managed to keep his own name when going to WWE, and never really got involved in any storylines, angles or situations that undermined his credibility or make him seem like a clown. He always felt like a bit of an interloper in WWE, so it's not even like Jon Moxley leaving and having that sense of "what's this guy going to do without WWE holding him back?", just that Samoa Joe is going to walk right into any spot he wants, and be as good as he ever was. No adjustment period of getting used to a new name, no "WWE wouldn't let me be who I really am", just Samoa Joe being Samoa Joe, anywhere in the world. Only an older, wiser, better Samoa Joe with more to offer than ever before. 

Meltzer has said none of the releases will be able to sign anywhere until July 14th. Given that date falls on a Wednesday, I can only assume that episode of Dynamite is going to do a monster rating. 

9 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Mojo Rawley is gone now too.  Not that anyone would really give a shit...

Clearly I'm an outlier with this view, but I think he's a bit underrated. He's an excellent promo, and I think he'd be an excellent fit on NWA Powerrr. 

The one thing that shocks me throughout all of this, is that they saw fit to release people like Billie Kay and Samoa Joe, yet have clung on to people who have had grave allegations made against them, as if the company's life depended on it. It's pretty fucking shoddy. 

I never liked Mojo Rawley, but I'd give him points for trying. The lad seemed to throw himself into every idea he was pitched, and for three weeks before they'd give up on it, he'd at least try whatever weird shit they suggested. He just wasn't much. Won the Andre Battle Royal. Madness. 

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Racking my brain trying to remember what the hell The Social Outcasts was

Oh that I do because I did see that. It was him, Adam Rose, Heath Slater and whoever the fuck. This led to Slater doing the Free Agent 'I Got Kids' angle that rightly got him over and gave Rhyno a deserved over run too. 

Thanks @andrew "the ref" coyne, he and Axel won the gold. I'll be darned, looked it up, they beat Bray Wyatt and Matt Hardy. Fair enough, I'll leave that. 

Edited by Chili