Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

I'm surprised some people want to "cancel" Cena. Sure it was a bit of a dick move but hardly that big that he should be thrown under a bus or whatever. We've all got opinions on who is a good wrestler and who is entertaining etc. I didn't really see much beyond that.

I guess you can argue if its actually his opinion or if he's just defending the company. But still it was pretty minor.

The most unfortunate thing would be that it's one of quite a few things that probably added up into a much bigger deal for Chris. You just never know what people are dealing with.

• Paid Members

I've seen a million more people complaining about people cancelling Cena than I've seen people wanting to cancel Cena. In fact, I've seen no one wanting to "cancel" Cena. Just people saying "Fuck John Cena" or "Cena is a prick". Which are perfectly valid responses to someone being a dick about someone else.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about this show last night. With the amount of smut, scandal and wrong 'uns wrestling has hd over the years, it could run forever. We might be looking at Simpsons level of longevity before we're done. 

I think Cena was being a very company line prick and a very uneducated guy with those statements. Has he changed, probably, his own brother came out and Cena was extremely supportive to others about that since, so maybe in the years he changed his tune on that. I don't know. Or he's a soulless ghoul doing Steph's 'We do PR' mantra to the scary levels. 

Sad as fuck though, Kanyon was absolutely one of my WCW favourites. I think his run as himself, as the one man taking out the Flock with every mad move he can make up out the air are ace. 

Back then I don’t remember many people complaining about Kanyon being released talent wise. He had moments in wcw, but back then many guys got cut without reason. They let the dudleys go who had done loads of business for them. Yeah he was innovative and a nice guy to many coming in, but twitter can be hella revisionist when people want to be on the right side of a pile on. He had a hell of a hard life, but I’d ignore who twitter wants cancelled as in cases like this with cena judging ability to be a wwe superstar, at the time many wouldn’t have argued. 

12 minutes ago, Louch said:

Back then I don’t remember many people complaining about Kanyon being released talent wise. He had moments in wcw, but back then many guys got cut without reason. They let the dudleys go who had done loads of business for them. Yeah he was innovative and a nice guy to many coming in, but twitter can be hella revisionist when people want to be on the right side of a pile on. He had a hell of a hard life, but I’d ignore who twitter wants cancelled as in cases like this with cena judging ability to be a wwe superstar, at the time many wouldn’t have argued. 

Nah bollocks. What happened was he got FUCK ALL post injury in 2001. He didn't come back till February 2003, had that angle they just had lying around for someone to play Boy George in one segment with a known gay basher. Then he was doing the old star teams with jobber on Velocity and losing literally every match. He pitched bringing back Mortis, has a house show run and they didn't do it. 

Basically I think he wasn't a great mate to himself in a lot of situations. Something anyone with MH issues can strongly relate to. It's even harder in a toxic 2003 boys club where having talent wasn't important. 

Cena probably didn't actually know shit, as stated earlier. Flair was being what he is when you ask him. A bitchy, gaslighting, demoralising shitbag, who because of his Babe Ruth status could tell Kanyon he was shit and because its him, its gospel. 

Kanyon was well good. He'd have been fine in a nice midcard spot if the company he worked for was more mature and he himself was dealing better. 

Edited by Chili

It’s weird, i liked Mortis and thought he was kinda cool, i never really cared for Kanyon in any guise sans his Mask and getup.

If the Blood Runs Cold thing was done at a different time and fleshed out a little more then it could have been a goer.

If they had landed a videogame deal out of it …..then jackpot…

Not to be though…. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Chili said:

that angle they just had lying around for someone to play Boy George in one segment with a known gay basher.

I know Taker has been revealed as a right wing "blue lives matter" bellend in recent years (and he might well hold anti-gay views) but I don't recall seeing anything he said publicly that would label him a "known gay basher"? Be interested to read it if he has said such things. 

12 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I know Taker has been revealed as a right wing "blue lives matter" bellend in recent years (and he might well hold anti-gay views) but I don't recall seeing anything he said publicly that would label him a "known gay basher"? Be interested to read it if he has said such things. 

Yeah it's not a public thing I guess. Tracy Smothers has one about Taker referring to someone in a drag gimmick as the f word (one of Chris Candido's mates I recall). So it's hearsay really, and not even the band. 

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Yeah it's not a public thing I guess. Tracy Smothers has one about Taker referring to someone in a drag gimmick as the f word (one of Chris Candido's mates I recall). So it's hearsay really, and not even the band. 

Is this the one where he was moaning about people pretending to be f words to get over so Smothers asked “How long have you been an undead zombie now, Mark?” Or words to that effect. 

Can’t say I ever liked Kanyon but I agree about revisionism lately. He was treated shite and appallingly but let’s not pretend this was a main eventer being held back for his sexuality. He was a solid mid card hand being abused because of his sexuality. 

• Paid Members

Just a very, very sad episode.  His issues with his sexuality were obviously compounded by severe mental health problems.  Now he would have probably got so much help with that, but then, nothing. 

2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

That Eps was utterly heart breaking. 

Who would have thought James Mitchell would have been the best friend a guy could ever have . All the beatings he took from him and he still stuck by him till the end. 

Did Kanyon become physical with Mitchell?

The shoot with Raven and James Mitchell where they had just returned from Kanyons funeral was very sad.

3 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

The shoot with Raven and James Mitchell where they had just returned from Kanyons funeral was very sad.

That was my first thought going into the episode was the shoot with raven and Mitchell. I do imagine though that James Mitchell has millions of positive stories with kanyon that hasn't seen the light of day and I would love to hear, but kanyon had so much more going on than I imagined, I do really feel bad for Mitchell but then also in owe of him, through thick and thing good times and the bad times he stayed with kanyon and always did right up until the end, it was awful hearing about him crying on the flight home.