Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

KA-KAWW!!

He's so good at this. Also, I loved the anti-climax with Cutler terrified they'll find out for the last week, and it just turns out Nick watched BTE "for the first time ever".

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

More Eddie and David fucking Crockett! Amazing that David's calling a Yuka match in 2021.

I've never watched Elevation before but decided to put it on purely based on David Crockett as I'm watching him and Tony on the World Championship Wrestling show on the network and always enjoy Crockett enthusiasm. He didn't disappoint, sounded like he was having a blast!! I love that AEW has given legends that vince would never touch a chance to get involved and get a nostalgia pop from the crowd. 

Actually really enjoyed the episode and if they keep it at 45 mins I'll watch it weekly. Crowd were a lot louder than on Dynamite so don't know whether that's because this was earlier in the night or whether they managed to sort the audio mix out in post production..... Hope it was the latter

• Paid Members

I think the beauty of something like bringing out David Crockett in North Carolina isn't just that it's letting him get involved again, or that it's allowing old-timers overlooked by WWE a chance to show their face, or that it's recognising a history of wrestling outside of WWE, or that it's creating continuity with earlier wrestling programming on Turner networks - though all of those things are great - but that it's establishing that wrestling is something anchored in geography, and that differs from place to place. We've had years of WWE treating any one town like another, and having a homogenised product no matter where they go, whereas recognising that North Carolina has a set of recognisable faces that New York doesn't, and that New York has names that Florida doesn't, and they have names that Chicago don't, and so on and so on, it means that each show has the potential to offer something a little different, a little more tailored to the locale. That makes it feel like a much more real, vibrant touring show, rather than something filmed live in WWE's pocket dimension.

• Paid Members

Elevation is such a fun show. It takes me back to the likes of Velocity and Metal. Not shows you have to watch, you're not missing much if you don't, but when you do it's a fun, easy watch, you'll see your favourites wrestling and winning, you'll see some new people or the same "jobbers" sometimes, you hear from different voices on commentary in a relaxed amosphere and it's just a bit of fun. I think Elevation is a level up on those shows because it's intertwined a bit more with Dynamite, storylines continue through people actually appearing rather than just being highlights off the main shows, and the wins are given importance that they never really had on WWE's C shows back then.

• Paid Members

I think that's one of the real victories of their ranking system. An Essa Rios type (who I became a fan of as a kid by only being able to watch Metal) that's a staple of these shows that has some fan support could easily go on a brief run of wins and get themselves onto Dynamite for a short program, rewarding the fans who watch and got behind someone who excited them on the show. I love anything that provides a sense of progression and a way to reward fans for getting invested even in your lesser shows so they feel impactful without feeling necessary.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Elevation is such a fun show. It takes me back to the likes of Velocity and Metal. Not shows you have to watch, you're not missing much if you don't, but when you do it's a fun, easy watch, you'll see your favourites wrestling and winning, you'll see some new people or the same "jobbers" sometimes, you hear from different voices on commentary in a relaxed amosphere and it's just a bit of fun. I think Elevation is a level up on those shows because it's intertwined a bit more with Dynamite, storylines continue through people actually appearing rather than just being highlights off the main shows, and the wins are given importance that they never really had on WWE's C shows back then.

You've sold me. I think I'll be watching some Elevation tonight.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Max Caster's rap was completely scrubbed from Dark this week, he made jokes about both Simone Biles and an old lacrosse team rape case.. fucking idiot.

I did wonder why I hadn't seen either of them on Dynamite for a while, and I doubt that'll change soon.