Hall of Fame 2020/21

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members

WWE had their opportunity to do a banquet like the old days. Just wrestlers and select fans in the crowd. Instead, they went for this fucking space aged shit, with the awkward speeches and the dodgy crowd noise. Rotten.

"Davey was a huge guy, but what was even bigger was his heart ... at least that's what the coroner said."

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

WWE had their opportunity to do a banquet like the old days. Just wrestlers and select fans in the crowd. Instead, they went for this fucking space aged shit, with the awkward speeches and the dodgy crowd noise. Rotten.

Yeah this bothered me as well. I liked that the inductees could actually give speeches without bullshit fan interjections like other years, but it sounded like it was happening in a warehouse. They should have done it like they did the Grammy's this year.

6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Kane's induction video is up there with one of the best videos they've ever done. 

https://streamable.com/sva04c

Shit. That video gave me chills; nothing has ever come close to a debut as when Kane ripped that door off and laid waste to the Undertaker. JR screaming about hell fire and brimstone takes me back to being a huge Kane mark who genuinely believed he should have got a decent run with the title (although they would struggle with promos etc I guess...)

As fun as Kane has been, he never truly recovered from losing the mask as he lost some of the aura and mystique. One of the most versatile big men and his 2002 run was superb - returning to save the American flag from being burned is still a fond memory.

One of the best highlight reels they've done. A tasteful tribute to one of the best wrestlers of the last 25 years.

That Kane video was something lovely wasn't it. His debut is still a brilliant piece of business from everyone involved. Always loved Cornette's description of him being Michael Myers like, and in his debut it's so good. The crowds slow realisation around the same time as Vince does the line and there were off.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

"Davey was a huge guy, but what was even bigger was his heart ... at least that's what the coroner said."

First thing that went through my mind too. Amazing.

Haven't seen it all but have to agree, it did seem odd not to have the wrestlers as some sort of crowd. When Harry made the crack about Slick and Jimmy Hart, his delivery was terrible but it was a moment just enhanced by Georgia laughing. Just a real reaction to something for the first time in what feels like forever.

Thought the speeches were pretty good considering there was no one to play off at all.

Hogan looked great. Talked utter bollocks as per but fair play, he was the one who looked like it was still 1996. Well, 1999.

• Paid Members

Kane suffered more than anyone from WWE's need to be 365 days a year with no off-season, but at the same time, it gave him ridiculous longevity, and I don't know if he'd have had that otherwise.

As a character, there were really only two or three logical arcs - introducing him as the brother of The Undertaker, and paying off that feud, and then the formation of a tag team, with possibly the break-up and a repeat of the initial feud coming out the other end of that. It could have been littered with "humanising" stories like his tag team/feud with X-Pac, but in principle, that was all his character was good for. If he were a villain in a TV series or comic book, he'd have been killed off or otherwise written out once The Undertaker was done with him. If it were an old-school wrestling territory, he'd have left after the first feud and gone to work elsewhere for a year, then maybe come back when The Undertaker needed something to do again.

That he kept up his WWE run for as long as he did, even though a fair chunk of it was spent in middling, boring feuds and dead-end stories, or faffing about as Corporate Kane and The Demon Kane, is pretty remarkable for what by rights should have been a real one-and-done of a gimmick.

In terms of losing the mask, when they decided to commit to him being mentally scarred, it could have been a superb reinvention and new lease of life. It wouldn't have made him a full-time main event prospect, because there wasn't a spot for a monster heel when Triple H was on top, but it could have been something more than it was. But he fell prey to WWE booking that made him never really one thing or the other, that killed him dead with a Shane McMahon feud right at what should have been his peak as an unstoppable monster, and then just became a matter of debating when they'd finally concede and give him his mask back. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Hogan looked great. Talked utter bollocks as per but fair play

The one advantage of looking 90 in your 20s and sounding mental your whole life. When you become an bald, wrinkly hot dog who talks nothing but shite, its like business as usual for him.

47 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The one advantage of looking 90 in your 20s and sounding mental your whole life. When you become an bald, wrinkly hot dog who talks nothing but shite, its like business as usual for him.

Let him work it, brother

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

It's the great advantage of building your look out of gimmicks. I'm sure it was you who said in the past that Hogan's just like Mr Potato Head, you just stick the sunglasses on, stick the bandana on, add the big tache, the stubble, the feather boa and the tan and you've got a Hulk Hogan. 

• Paid Members

Watching that Kane video back I was going to say that I wish more guys came in with fantastical gimmicks rather than, “hottest free agent from the indies.” But then I remember Bray Wyatt. I wonder, if I’d been a grumpy thirty something in 1997 would I have thought Kane’s hocus pocus was as shit as The Fiend’s is now? Are there thirteen year olds who think The Fiend is great? Are they going to be able to make a video montage of Bray Wyatt’s career in fifteen years that makes me all nostalgic and wistful?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

A tasteful tribute to one of the best wrestlers of the last 25 years.

You're having a laugh.

It's a testment to how good the video package is that everyone is forgetting Kane has been fucking terrible, fast-forward material for 95% of his career.

39 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hogan's just like Mr Potato Head, you just stick the sunglasses on, stick the bandana on, add the big tache, the stubble, the feather boa and the tan and you've got a Hulk Hogan. 

Senor Spudface:

WWE Photo

Kaptain Kartoffelnkopf:

ventura.jpg?w=825

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Watching that Kane video back I was going to say that I wish more guys came in with fantastical gimmicks rather than, “hottest free agent from the indies.” But then I remember Bray Wyatt. I wonder, if I’d been a grumpy thirty something in 1997 would I have thought Kane’s hocus pocus was as shit as The Fiend’s is now? Are there thirteen year olds who think The Fiend is great? Are they going to be able to make a video montage of Bray Wyatt’s career in fifteen years that makes me all nostalgic and wistful?

I was going to do a longer reply to this, but halfway through it dawned on me that it mostly boils down to one thing. Kane spent 2 years doing shit gimmicks as Isaac Yankem, Unabomb and Fake Deisel and then they masked him and slapped him right into a red hot feud. You could make an argument for Kane having a HoF career purely during the 5 or 6 years he spent with a mask, everything after that is just gravy.
The Fiend has spent 9 years as Husky Harris and Bray Wyatt, never once hitting the potential so many people say he has, nearly always being in crap feuds, nearly always being out of shape. He's only been The Fiend for 2 years and it's already stale and long jumped the shark. Fiend was doomed before he started because he has 9 years of failure to get over. Kane had 2. 

That's not even taking into account Kane was a 7 foot monster, built like a brick shithouse and slugging it out with the likes of Undertaker, Vader and Mankind during the product's hottest period. The Fiend is a dumpster fire in a vest, pissing around with Randy Orton and Seth Rollins during the product's deadest period.

All this being said you know he's going into the Hall of Fame.

Edited by FelatioLips