Hall of Fame 2020/21

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I’d have “the Bellas are in” now instead. They were crap. They were just as crap as all the rubbish women prior to the “Revolution!!11” if not worse, just pushed harder. They definitely were never innovators or pioneers of any kind despite the company rhetoric and neither of them had a single decent match.

Brie in particular was awful in the ring. However, I wonder whether their induction has more to do with their involvement with Total Divas and Total Bellas that have both done relatively well and made the E! audience more aware of WWE.

Surely Torrie Wilson is a better shout than the Bellas for worst inductee? Never had a match ever that went above atrocious. Was inducted simply because they need a woman a year and they’re running out of people that you could feasibly accept as plausible.

Kane describing Knox County as the greatest place in the world was a good one.   It's probably not even the greatest place in Tennessee.  A mayor who loves his town though is probably a good mayor.

Some of the speeches were cut to be way too short.   I don't think people's complaints is speeches being too long, it's that there's too many long speeches.  If they inducted 4 people a year and let them talk for 25 minutes each I don't think anyone would have any complaints.

Also depends on the inductee. I could happily listen to Kane go into detail on his storied career for 40 minutes. Hillbilly Jim probably deserved about as long as JBL went this year. And I could have listened to JBL for a good half hour. He's a prick, but an entertaining prick.

I understand that this year was a weird circumstance though. Had to be strange for the inductees too, giving a speech in an empty room to really obviously, badly canned noise. Kevin Nash, in particular, seemed to be bemused by the whole thing.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Surely Torrie Wilson is a better shout than the Bellas for worst inductee? Never had a match ever that went above atrocious. Was inducted simply because they need a woman a year and they’re running out of people that you could feasibly accept as plausible.

I’d genuinely forgotten she’d gone in. Can’t really judge her as a wrestler as that wasn’t why either of the big 2 gave her a job, she’s in as a “personality” like any other valet or manager. Maybe she did become a huge star and was lucrative for the company in ways they won’t mention today (send noods) although not as big a deal as others, she probably would have more of a case as one of the only two bankable women WCW ever created - if WCW had had brains and actually marketed anything with her likeness on

• Awards Moderator
35 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I’d genuinely forgotten she’d gone in. Can’t really judge her as a wrestler as that wasn’t why either of the big 2 gave her a job, she’s in as a “personality” like any other valet or manager. Maybe she did become a huge star and was lucrative for the company in ways they won’t mention today (send noods) although not as big a deal as others, she probably would have more of a case as one of the only two bankable women WCW ever created - if WCW had had brains and actually marketed anything with her likeness on

For a few years from 2001, Torrie was one of the faces of the women's division. They used her for PPV posters and magazine covers pretty regularly, and for a while after the first brand split, she and Stacy were virtually the only women on SmackDown so she was featured most of the time. She was never high on the card in the traditional sense, and I know it was probably only for her looks that they made her prominent, but they did, and she had quite a key role to play.

• Paid Members

If you're judging Sunny, Sable, Torrie and Stacey like Sasha, Charlotte, Becky and Bayley then you're missing the point. Aside from the obvious fact that it doesn't really matter because everyone goes in, they were great at what the were there to do at the time. And that wasn't wrestle.

2 hours ago, Perry said:

Not so sure Torrie was rolling in it after her career in WWE, otherwise she wouldn't have went straight into the US version of I'm A Celebrity

I'd put that down more to her trying to crack mainstream. WWE must have given her a semi decent living. With all the side ventures (playboy etc), the fact those divas videos were some of the best selling dvds they had (as always a percentage of merch sold goes to performers, featured at least).

I'd put that personal decision down to still wanting the fame without the slog of being away from home for 300 days a year.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Perry said:

Remember a while back when they were planning on inducting Stacy Keibler into the HoF just because she was dating George Clooney at the time. 

Remember that time Fan Axxess had a stature that was just her legs and bum so you could put your hands on it and take photos with it? They knew their audience in those days.

Given the amount of work, sacrifice and effort it probably takes to look the way the WWE wanted her to look back then, Torrie Wilson deserves some recognition (which is all the Hall of Fame really is). Plus she gave as good as she could to shit like the storyline with her father and Dawn Marie. 

Even if you want to be flippant and disregard her own credentials, Billy Kidman is probably going in one day and Torrie Wilson is the most interesting person/story/thing he's ever been involved with. 

The Bellas more than deserve to be in for their work in Total Divas and Total Bellas.