Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 I think that handspring DDT move was Jake Atlas’ finish. 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: If @JLM doesn't then, no! Clearly not. Shawn Spears being back is not the draw they thought it might be. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Anyone still watch this? I caught an episode out of curiosity and it was pretty good. Standout was this cracking little match. CW: Natalya. Sol Ruca and Blair Davenport had a good one as well. I wouldn't stick it on every week, like, but I'm going to add it to my Bleacher Report results list. How do you feel about the promo work, Dev? As someone who watches and judges a lot of movies, how do you feel when you watch "acting" in wrestling promos. It looks absolutely horrible to me even with the caveat that I don't expect much from modern wrestlers in the acting department anyway. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: How do you feel about the promo work, Dev? As someone who watches and judges a lot of movies, how do you feel when you watch "acting" in wrestling promos. It looks absolutely horrible to me even with the caveat that I don't expect much from modern wrestlers in the acting department anyway. I think it's a problem across all of wrestling right now. Almost all the best promos are the older stars. It's why when someone like MJF comes along he stands out more because he's genuinely good. I just don't know if they're working enough on them across the business. Maybe they need to do more pre-recorded stuff rather than in-show interviews because you can paper over cracks more easily there. The standard is pretty bad in WWE and AEW, and NXT doesn't suggest the next generation are going to improve that. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: I think it's a problem across all of wrestling right now. Almost all the best promos are the older stars. It's why when someone like MJF comes along he stands out more because he's genuinely good. I just don't know if they're working enough on them across the business. Maybe they need to do more pre-recorded stuff rather than in-show interviews because you can paper over cracks more easily there. The standard is pretty bad in WWE and AEW, and NXT doesn't suggest the next generation are going to improve that. Would completely agree. I specified modern wrestlers because I think old wrestlers used to live the gimmick to such an extent that it rarely seemed like "acting" at all. They had all their mannerisms and reactions down. I'm surprised given their obsession with hiring TV writers because they're in the entertainment business, pal, that they've not strayed into having proper directors. People who'd look at the awkwardness of their high-school drama club acting in backstage promos and over-selling in the ring and work to improve it. It does seem to get a pass because it's just wrestling though. I saw a video a year or two ago of times that Sami Zayn caused the Bloodline to corpse in the ring. It was funny stuff and Sami was great in it but it strikes me as odd that the obsessed weirdos who consume everything will give it loads about telling stories and ring work, but accept a wrestler being completely unable to stay in character during a major storyline. It's a strange dichotomy. Quote
Loki Posted April 4, 2024 Posted April 4, 2024 6 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said: I watch NXT on the weekly but don't thknk show reviews from me would add any viewers from the forum to the show the way other much more articulate posters could. I think you’re very much over estimating the appeal of those who choose to leave detailed reviews of every single thing they watch ? I for one would certainly read a brief precis of NXT from you every week if you’re passing. I’ll definitely watch if there’s a particularly good episode, and you point it out! Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 (edited) 9 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said: I watch NXT on the weekly but don't thknk show reviews from me would add any viewers from the forum to the show the way other much more articulate posters could. I’d love to see you post about it. Could do a facesitter-style thumbs up thumbs down if you don’t want to do the big wall-o-text review. Doesn’t even need to be a show review, just a short post with anything that stood out or that you’d recommend for people who don’t follow NXT full time would be great. I do (mistakenly it seems!) assume that if nobody posts anything at all about a product or show it’s because no one here is following it. I’d be happy to hear from anyone watching any wrestling from anywhere, even more so if it’s stuff I don’t get a chance to watch regularly. Edited April 4, 2024 by JLM Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted April 4, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 4, 2024 I'll get started on that from the PLE onwards then. NXT is a favourite of mine just because its that rise and shine of newer, future talent so it'll be fun to actually chat about it as none of my friend group really are into their wrestling anymore. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted April 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 5, 2024 Yeah when I was watching NXT black and gold regularly I got very invested in the performers. Felt weirdly proud of them when they went to the main roster and succeeded because I’d followed their whole story. Rhea Ripley in particular finding her persona and morphing into a bad ass after starting as a fresh faced happy to be here generic smiley person was a joy to watch. Quote
TildeGuy~! Posted April 6, 2024 Posted April 6, 2024 Huge Signing. Absolute chuffed she chose the fed over AEW Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 6, 2024 Members Posted April 6, 2024 13 minutes ago, Weezenal said: Who is it? Triple H Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted April 6, 2024 Posted April 6, 2024 (edited) 15 minutes ago, Weezenal said: Who is it? Her name is Giulia. She wrestles in Japan. I've not seen her work but by all accounts she is highly regarded. Let's hope she's not another Sarray. Edited April 6, 2024 by Snitsky's back acne Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 6, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2024 27 minutes ago, Weezenal said: Who is it? Some Japanese wrestler called Giulia. They cut to her in the crowd at NXT but unfortunately because they didn’t introduce her with a vignette and expected everyone to know who she was the WWE crowd all soiled themselves, burst into tears and left the show in complete hysterics. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 6, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2024 1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said: Absolute chuffed she chose the fed Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.