The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyone still watch this? I caught an episode out of curiosity and it was pretty good. Standout was this cracking little match.

CW: Natalya.

Sol Ruca and Blair Davenport had a good one as well. I wouldn't stick it on every week, like, but I'm going to add it to my Bleacher Report results list.

How do you feel about the promo work, Dev? As someone who watches and judges a lot of movies, how do you feel when you watch "acting" in wrestling promos. It looks absolutely horrible to me even with the caveat that I don't expect much from modern wrestlers in the acting department anyway. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

How do you feel about the promo work, Dev? As someone who watches and judges a lot of movies, how do you feel when you watch "acting" in wrestling promos. It looks absolutely horrible to me even with the caveat that I don't expect much from modern wrestlers in the acting department anyway. 

I think it's a problem across all of wrestling right now. Almost all the best promos are the older stars. It's why when someone like MJF comes along he stands out more because he's genuinely good.

I just don't know if they're working enough on them across the business. Maybe they need to do more pre-recorded stuff rather than in-show interviews because you can paper over cracks more easily there. The standard is pretty bad in WWE and AEW, and NXT doesn't suggest the next generation are going to improve that.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think it's a problem across all of wrestling right now. Almost all the best promos are the older stars. It's why when someone like MJF comes along he stands out more because he's genuinely good.

I just don't know if they're working enough on them across the business. Maybe they need to do more pre-recorded stuff rather than in-show interviews because you can paper over cracks more easily there. The standard is pretty bad in WWE and AEW, and NXT doesn't suggest the next generation are going to improve that.

Would completely agree. I specified modern wrestlers because I think old wrestlers used to live the gimmick to such an extent that it rarely seemed like "acting" at all. They had all their mannerisms and reactions down.

I'm surprised given their obsession with hiring TV writers because they're in the entertainment business, pal, that they've not strayed into having proper directors. People who'd look at the awkwardness of their high-school drama club acting in backstage promos and over-selling in the ring and work to improve it. 

It does seem to get a pass because it's just wrestling though. I saw a video a year or two ago of times that Sami Zayn caused the Bloodline to corpse in the ring. It was funny stuff and Sami was great in it but it strikes me as odd that the obsessed weirdos who consume everything will give it loads about telling stories and ring work, but accept a wrestler being completely unable to stay in character during a major storyline. It's a strange dichotomy.

6 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I watch NXT on the weekly but don't thknk show reviews from me would add any viewers from the forum to the show the way other much more articulate posters could. 

I think you’re very much over estimating the appeal of those who choose to leave detailed reviews of every single thing they watch 🙃

I for one would certainly read a brief precis of NXT from you every week if you’re passing.  I’ll definitely watch if there’s a particularly good episode, and you point it out!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I watch NXT on the weekly but don't thknk show reviews from me would add any viewers from the forum to the show the way other much more articulate posters could. 

I’d love to see you post about it. Could do a facesitter-style thumbs up thumbs down if you don’t want to do the big wall-o-text review. Doesn’t even need to be a show review, just  a short post with anything that stood out or that you’d recommend for people who don’t follow NXT full time would be great. 

I do (mistakenly it seems!) assume that if nobody posts anything at all about a product or show it’s because no one here is following it. I’d be happy to hear from anyone watching any wrestling from anywhere, even more so if it’s stuff I don’t get a chance to watch regularly. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

I'll get started on that from the PLE onwards then. NXT is a favourite of mine just because its that rise and shine of newer, future talent so it'll be fun to actually chat about it as none of my friend group really are into their wrestling anymore. 

• Paid Members

Yeah when I was watching NXT black and gold regularly I got very invested in the performers. Felt weirdly proud of them when they went to the main roster and succeeded because I’d followed their whole story. Rhea Ripley in particular finding her persona and morphing into a bad ass after starting as a fresh faced happy to be here generic smiley person was a joy to watch. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Who is it?

Some Japanese wrestler called Giulia. They cut to her in the crowd at NXT but unfortunately because they didn’t introduce her with a vignette and expected everyone to know who she was the WWE crowd all soiled themselves, burst into tears and left the show in complete hysterics.