The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

So doesn't seem a good start to NXT being available on the network 

I can't see it anywhere

Surely it's not just on live at 1am and then still on a weeks delay to actually be uploaded to be available on demand?

That would be absolutely ridiculous 

• Paid Members

I know we've complained about how drawn out the devil was in AEW but this Melo/Trick who's going to turn on who, who attacked who, let's keep putting Trick's chance at the title in peril because of Hayes and then not really confront him about it has dragged for what feels like months.

The women's division remains interesting and it's good that most seem to have some character basis to them, Stratton instantly tweeting a photo of Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie in overalls for The Simple Life was a nice touch on social media after and the vignettes next week should be funny.

LWO hopefully get a good showing in the Dusty classic and get to pull a few more highlight reel spots out.

The ceiling is high on Oba Femi, absolute unit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah very fun show, and the Melo turn, while hugely telegraphed over the last few weeks, was well executed. The temptation will be there to do the match between Melo and Trick on the Roadblock special in 4 weeks but I think it’s better kept for Stand and Deliver and have it as Melo’s blowoff before going to the main roster properly after Mania

There are some really exciting wrestlers in NXT right now. I’m not sure about the names or, in some cases, the gimmicks, but they’ve recruited well.

Oba Femi, Trick Williams, Lyra Valkyria, Carmelo Hayes, Ilja Dragunov, Roxanne Perez and, of course, Bron Breakker are all great prospects; and there are several others too who you could see fit in well on the main roster somewhere down the line. 

Lexis King is still honking though.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone still watch this? I caught an episode out of curiosity and it was pretty good. Standout was this cracking little match.

CW: Natalya.

Sol Ruca and Blair Davenport had a good one as well. I wouldn't stick it on every week, like, but I'm going to add it to my Bleacher Report results list.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

CW: Natalya.

Is that like a trigger warning? Crap Warning perhaps? It's funny that "Lola Vice" is the name out of all three that sounds like she should be an OnlyFans.

Petrovic carrying a sword to the ring... is that no longer a Xia Li thing? Like Xia needs to lose anything interesting, the apathy when she turns up at the Rumble year in and year out is a bit sad. There's a few in that boat though. Tegan Nox for instance, who'd be a big deal by now if her knees weren't made of shortbread.

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sol Ruca and Blair Davenport had a good one as well. I wouldn't stick it on every week, like, but I'm going to add it to my Bleacher Report results list.

I hoped that Sol is decent purely because I happened upon a clip of her performing the Sol Snatcher and 2003 me woke up and went "Ooooh!"

Sadly it's one of those moves that I think when nailed perfectly is an incredible spectacle but it the co-ordination is slightly off she'll be taking people down via the hair, or the opponent bumps for no contact. Plus, the opponent being conveniently in the right spot and apparently blind to her setting it up is probably going to feel convoluted after seeing it a few times.

But at first sight, it was a definite "Holy fuck!"

I definitely watch when I've got time. Always watch the bigger events. I think they've got a good bunch down there. Will be interesting to see who gets the post Mania call ups. There's a few that haven't got much left to do in NXT like Melo that you'd assume would be pretty set.

• Paid Members

I came into post last week after Ridge Holland's "retirement" to see where people thought the angle was going but saw there had hardly been any chat for time, took me a while to even find the thread. 

I watch NXT on the weekly but don't thknk show reviews from me would add any viewers from the forum to the show the way other much more articulate posters could. 

The North American title match at the next PLE has all the makings of three huge lads leathering each other though so I'd recommend checking that out if you've a spare 20 or so after the event happens. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Is that like a trigger warning? Crap Warning perhaps? It's funny that "Lola Vice" is the name out of all three that sounds like she should be an OnlyFans.

Petrovic carrying a sword to the ring... is that no longer a Xia Li thing? Like Xia needs to lose anything interesting, the apathy when she turns up at the Rumble year in and year out is a bit sad. There's a few in that boat though. Tegan Nox for instance, who'd be a big deal by now if her knees weren't made of shortbread.

I hoped that Sol is decent purely because I happened upon a clip of her performing the Sol Snatcher and 2003 me woke up and went "Ooooh!"

Sadly it's one of those moves that I think when nailed perfectly is an incredible spectacle but it the co-ordination is slightly off she'll be taking people down via the hair, or the opponent bumps for no contact. Plus, the opponent being conveniently in the right spot and apparently blind to her setting it up is probably going to feel convoluted after seeing it a few times.

But at first sight, it was a definite "Holy fuck!"

CW is content warning. I'm assuming she's with Petrovic (who looks *really* good) because they're both Canadian, otherwise what the fuck is the point.

Ruca did another spot in the match, a handspring across the top rope into a DDT that's also excellent. She's a great athlete and hits the ropes and her moves well but I'd say she's a couple of years off being sharp enough for the main roster. Apparently she's only been wrestling 2 years and she missed almost half of that with an injury so she's doing alright, considering. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ruca did another spot in the match, a handspring across the top rope into a DDT that's also excellent.

Having now seen it, that was very creative and well executed. Reminded me of Rey's seldom-used springboard backflip DDT - he may in fact have only done it on Eddy at Halloween Havoc 97 (much like the tope con rana and probably other spots) - except easier to not go wrong. Ruca also made me wonder in this match why more people don't do a mini-springboard off the bottom rope just to add a little extra to a basic strike attack, as it seems something you might do.

They also did the old "both spill over the top to the floor off a suplex" spot that I always consider unnecessarily dangerous, but it went OK. Some decent sensible wrestling and an OK finish, decent work all round. Also Davenport's expressions look more like a wrestler's than the last time I saw her, where from bell to bell she looked more like Sharon having just been told by the manager at Tesco that her coupon's not working because it expired in February, but she still thinks she's entitled to money off her Oreos.

Edited by air_raid
Dental plan!