The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

17 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Kevin Owens now turning up. 

That was a fake account on the wind up.

In other news, TK has gone mad…

I sort of don’t have any real sympathy with him. I would if NXT had wandered over to Wednesdays, but it’s ‘their’ night - they have every right to defend it.

• Paid Members

Decent show. It was fun seeing the big stars in that environment. However, whether it was supposed to be a kill shot against AEW or some huge statement for TV execs, I don’t think it achieved much either way. It was just the same Raw Reunion or Anniversary special they always do, only with main roster cameos rather than guys from the past.

Very little to make you want to tune in next week. Just some people you don’t normally see. Look at them. They’re here. Look. They’re better than the people that are usually here. Look.

Undertaker beating up Bron Breakker. DX beating up FTR. It’s all the same. Rinse and repeat. 

They’ll probably beat AEW in the ratings, but what was patently clear is that competing with Dynamite full-time would be their worst nightmare. There’s just no spark. Zero original ideas. They’re running on empty. The same stuff as always. They’d be back doing weekly ladder matches in no time at all.

Brian Pillman not even being Brian Pillman though. Hilarious. Literally the only thing he’s ever had going for him. Useless lump, just now with Turkey Teeth.

Edited by Supremo

Zero spark and running on empty? Sure, if you want to judge on this week alone then maybe you can try and argue that.

But it's an isolated mad week. They're currently on the best run they've had in ages. Certainly the best top to bottom roster they've had in a long time. So much potential. So many different characters. Week on week it's actually a pretty decent show overall.

Is it as good as Dynamite? No. Should it be? Arguably not. I'd much rather NXT was them trying things out and looking at characters and what works etc. Which is mostly what it is now with a few main roster visits now and again which isn't unusual.

But to suggest they haven't got anything going on at all is way OTT. Yeah they threw all the names out there this week in a petty fight with TK. I'm assuming that'll be a one off. Hopefully no one will make a crazy decision that they should do it every week.

NXT is in a good place.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Brian Pillman not even being Brian Pillman though. Hilarious. Literally the only thing he’s ever had going for him. Useless lump, just now with Turkey Teeth.

Come on, to be fair that promo was the most interesting thing Brian Pillman Jr has done in his career and at least for once they gave an actual, logical reason for his name change.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Zero spark and running on empty? Sure, if you want to judge on this week alone then maybe you can try and argue that.

That’s exactly what I judged it on. I haven’t watched regular NXT in ages. This show did nothing to change that. They had a chance amongst the buzz to convert what will likely be their biggest audience in forever, but instead their top guy got smashed up by an old biker with a rat tail who could barely get up the steps.

As someone who doesn't usually watch NXT it felt like a bit of a throwback to Vince TV which I guess is somewhat ironic. I know a lot of people don't discern a huge change from when Vince was micromanaging all the creative to Triple H's current reign but this felt like a lot of the Vince-isms condensed into one show. Not just all the big stars popping up in a real cynical, shoehorn-is-the-context way, but the more obvious staged pace to a lot of the segments and promos. It's a finishing school for how to carry yourself as a superstar after all. 

Not a bad show by any stretch but it just felt like it was happening totally in a vacuum. Like those intricately created YouTube videos you see where people have re-created the 99 Rumble in the latest 2K game, only they've put in Cena, Bam Bam Bigelow and Nick Gage into it. 

It's what I expected and clearly what they expected too, so they pulled it off, but I prefer the ebb and flow of normal weekly TVs even if they're not as spectacular on the surface.