The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• 1 month later...

NXT GAB was a decent enough show I thought.

Loved this:

Hard to know whether people are hating on Gable Steveson because of his personal issues or just because they've been given absolutely no reason to care for him whatsoever. Either way they need to figure out what to do with him. I don't feel like they've found anything worth tapping into with him yet. Really hard to know if there's anything there or not at this point. He doesn't have the charisma of Angle, and it took them this long to really give Chad Gable some decent time so.. who knows.

I'd say go out of your way to watch theĀ Carmelo Hayes/Ilja Dragunov main event if you've got some spare time.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Pretty good show, nothing spectacular but a good use of a few hours of your time. Main event was good, Dragunov always delivers - only a matter of time until heā€™s on the main roster. Hell, put him in Imperium like many suggested a while back.

The 8 person tag match (Frazer, Dragon Lee, Feroz, Leon vs. Meta Four) on the pre-show was a cracker. Very enjoyable and everyone got a chance to shine. Nice to see Lash Legend finally starting to put it all together, big future for her if she continues this progress.

GAB was a nice easy watch this afternoon, echo the praise on Melo/Ilja, Iā€™d be down for a rematch between them at No Mercy. Thought both womenā€™s matches were pretty fun, giving a slight nod more to the submission match and the mixed tag on the pre show was a good sprint with a spectacular mid match sequenceĀ 

Corbin, despite another gimmick change, still utterly bores the life out of me and Steveson looked green as anything despite over a yearā€™s training

• 1 month later...

Wow. Ā Nobody watches NXT any more huh?
Ā 

So, it looks like Pillman Jr is going to debut soon on NXT. Ā I'm going to make a bold prediction that NXT will sort out his issues and he has the potential to do really well. Ā I know people thought he was shit in AEW, but... there's something there I think.

Edited by Loki

Saturdayā€™s No Mercy card looks really solid, helped by having 3 main roster talent on the card

Mello and Dragunov should be a show stealer based on their last meetingĀ 

Butch and Dar looks a good match on paper

Becky will make Tiffany Statton look a million bucks againĀ 

The four way tag title match could be a sleeper match and gives a spotlight to a relatively new and unknown team in Bronco Nima and Lucien Price

Loving the feud between Bron and Corbin, the most interested Iā€™ve been in in the latter since his main roster debut years ago

Domā€™s gone up another gear recently, especially with the match against Dragon Lee on Raw and Trick has been on a tear since splitting from Mello

The only weak point, and it may end up either on pre show or saved for Tuesday, is the other womenā€™s match, Davenport is pretty much twiddling thumbs jumping between Gigi and Roxanne and Kelani is still pretty green so not really expecting much thereĀ 

• Paid Members

Cody, Cena, Heyman and Asuka all announced for next weekā€™s NXT, which goes head-to-head with Dynamite. Currently AEW have Adam Copelandā€™s first match and Saraya defending against Shida. You assume theyā€™ll stack the card even more now. Exciting! Might actually make the time to watch a regular NXT show, which I havenā€™t done in months.

As funny as it was watching Hunter admit defeat and move NXT to Tuesdays, in retrospect it was probably better for both when they were going head-to-head. Itā€™s fun watching both companies bring their A game. Iā€™d argue both of them have rested on their laurels and relied far more on tropes ever since the Wednesday Night War ended.

Move Dynamite to Tuesdays full-time, Tony! Bring back the war!

I've actually felt that NXT has settled down a lot recently and delivered its best in quite some time away from having to worry about AEW.

Obviously it's fun to see them go a bit crazy on both sides once in a while but the show itself (and especially the specials/PPVs/whatever) has been stable and consistent which is always a good thing.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Cody, Cena, Heyman and Asuka all announced for next weekā€™s NXT, which goes head-to-head with Dynamite. Currently AEW have Adam Copelandā€™s first match and Saraya defending against Shida. You assume theyā€™ll stack the card even more now. Exciting! Might actually make the time to watch a regular NXT show, which I havenā€™t done in months.

Ā 

I wonder if they'll reconsider Copeland's opponent? Luchasaurus doesn't exactly scream blockbuster. Ordinarily I wouldn't be in favour of rushing something like this, but I wouldn't at all be against them going ahead with Christian vs. Copeland on this show instead.Ā 

An MJF title defence would be nice - and if there's any chance he's leaving in January, I hope they start cranking out the big opponents. Fuck it, run MJF vs. Omega next Tuesday even if he's sticking around.Ā 

• Paid Members

Rushing straight to Christian vs. Copeland on that show feels like a Hogan/Goldberg decision. That'sĀ theĀ match for him, you don't want to rush to that. If they can hook people with his first AEW match, and I think they can, then they're pacing it properly - his first promo this week, first match next week, and save theĀ bigĀ matches for later down the line. Each of those can be a draw in its own right, and to rush past "first match" and get straight to the bigger match is a horrible decision.

Given that tonight's Dynamite is the anniversary episode, I imagine there will be some big moments, and perhaps another Devil mask cliffhanger to hook people for the Tuesday show, and I think that kind of mystery is more likely to get people to tune in than any one match.Ā