The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

No idea why Cena's there, I have seen Paul Heyman's promo explaining his appearance. Which for me is one of the worst offenders for breaking the realities of wrestling. On a live (totally not scripted in anyway) show John Cena's surprise appearance is announced. The Tribal Chief clearly must be a big NXT fan as he was watching at home and got straight on the phone to Paul Heyman.

"John Cena's been getting involved in Bloodline business, it's time we can get in his for a change. Be in Bron Breakker's corner next week."

Paul Heyman was convienently in the parking lot of the PC with an NXT camera crew so he can join the show and make the announcement

Stuff that makes no sense like that has been part of wrestling for so long you just have to accept it.   Edge's AEW debut makes no sense either.   He was at the venue, he'd signed a contract, he'd gone to the trouble of shooting that video of him in a car and delivered it to the director, the pyro guys had set up his pyro, but he only came out because Sting was in trouble.  If the attack on Sting wasn't happening would he have just not come out?   Or would he have come out after everyone in the main event had just gone to the back and just said hello to the crowd?

Replying to a much earlier post, but Hogan v Goldberg on Nitro is one of the most memorable moments in WCW history and cemented Goldberg as a tippy top star to the extent that he still pops a crowd now!

It may have seemed foolish at the time but it was very, very cool and sometimes that’s what matters to posterity.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Promoting "Cody Rhodes makes an announcement" is making me nostalgic for old episodes of Dynamite where they seemingly did that weekly and it was never anything of any note at all.

I prefer the TNA approach where they used to hype up Dixie making an announcement and the announcement would be that a subsequent announcement was coming about a match or talent coming in. They'd hype the announcement of an announcement, just to keep you on the hook. Russo would have been proud.

14 hours ago, Loki said:

Replying to a much earlier post, but Hogan v Goldberg on Nitro is one of the most memorable moments in WCW history and cemented Goldberg as a tippy top star to the extent that he still pops a crowd now!

It may have seemed foolish at the time but it was very, very cool and sometimes that’s what matters to posterity.

I'll be honest, I was as smarky as they get and I didn't think at the time that it seemed foolish. It's been years of the "WCW pissed thouands of dollars of PPV money down the drain" rhetoric that have convinced people it was foolish, or the "one week build" line suggesting that even for free TV they could have got a bigger gate, despite putting 40,000+ IIRC in the Georgia Dome which was fucking massive e.g a pretty profitable night's business anyway. I remember seeing they were doing Goldberg vs Hall with a chance to wrestle Hogan for the belt later and being convinced it would be yet another shitty DQ finish, and there was no chance Hollywood was dropping the belt right before a PPV and being delighted when baldilocks crushed him, even if it was 1% disappointing that the prolonged Hogan/DDP issue wasn't immediately going to result in a title match any time soon or Page title win. It was a result, let's not forget, that had ZERO bearing on the next PPV main - Hogan/Rodman vs Page/Malone, and only served to change Goldberg/Greene vs Giant/Hennig to two separate matches, with Road Wild already planned to be the Jay Leno fiasco (again, title irrelevant). The business logic was reasonably sound if you believe that they knew an eventual rematch on PPV would still get an inevitably huge buyrate, just like come January they knew they'd do great business in the Georgia Dome again with Goldberg going for the belt having been screwed over in the meantime (although that execution was - ahem - flawed). Fuck it, you could even leave everything between 6th July Nitro and the much-maligned Fingerpoke exactly the same, and if the focus had stayed where it was planned to be - Goldberg minces every one of the nWo elite in turn until an EVENTUAL rematch with the Hulkster where he gets the belt back, and STILL have got things moving back in the right direction and drawn that big PPV payday everyone whines about, if Flair and Hogan collectively hadn't complained their way into fucking it upside down.

Or, we've all thought too much about it and forgotten that WCW were happy doing loads of PPVs 97-98 without a title match at all, whether the champ was Hogan OR Goldberg.

Edited by air_raid

17 hours ago, air_raid said:

It's a weird line, because rivalry is good. They aren't "enemies" would be more accurate ; WWE should want to see AEW thrive. If Cargill works out then you'll have two examples along with the return of the reinvented and reinvigorated Cody as to why rivalry is really important and a second successful company benefits WWE. 

Yeah, I thought Heyman was excellent when asked about it. Triple H is just that shit munching smug bastard who still thinks he's fighting WCW

Bloody hell. They’re going to demolish AEW in the ratings. I’m kind of surprised Khan hasn’t done more on his end, although I’m not entirely sure he recognises any of the problems that his shows have; and maybe he does view his line-up as being enough to combat NXT. 

Edited by RedRooster