Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

@theringmaster didn't Drew and Taryn split because she was abusing him?

After a little research she apparently beat him up during a domestic. Got herself suspended and he got sent upon his run in 3MB.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, simonworden said:

Does anyone remember the period where WWE.com was posting indie wrestling and TNA wrestling results? I think the idea was they wanted to bring in all the traffic that was going to the observer and alike to their own website. 

Yeah, their idea was that WWE.com would become the one-stop shop for all wrestling news. Obviously didn't last.

After Lo Down discussion in the Rumble thread - D'Lo Brown being brought back in 2008! He mostly worked dark matches and house shows, but had a run of TV matches against Santino that I have absolutely zero memory of. Similarly, the Headbangers making three random Smackdown appearances in 2016.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Similarly, the Headbangers making three random Smackdown appearances in 2016.

The Headbangers getting that Smackdown gig in 2016 was bizarre as fuck, but I enjoyed it. Spirit Squad started showing up around the same time too. It's like they were just pulling names out of a hat marked 'old tag teams that are still alive'.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

This. Ultimate Warrior's last in-ring performance in 2008 in Madrid against Orlando Jordan.

He drew an impressive crowd looking back at it, but they match kinda stunk the joint out. The finish was horrendous.

Yeah, that was for that big Italian-based promotion, Nu-Wrestling Revolution - they were basically a European 1PW, splashing the cash on big arena shows and big names.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The Headbangers getting that Smackdown gig in 2016 was bizarre as fuck, but I enjoyed it. Spirit Squad started showing up around the same time too. It's like they were just pulling names out of a hat marked 'old tag teams that are still alive'.

I couldn't have The Headbangers in 1997 nevermind 2016. They were kind of for their time, but they were the shits. Along with The Godwinns, Mosh and Thrasher were "What's on Nitro?" material.

The 2016 idea wasn't the worst one though. Bring back older, recognisable names to use as regular jobbers to bulk up the roster, rather than sacrificing any of your more current talent. Is this the time that Curt Hawkins, MVP etc all started popping back up?

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

The 2016 idea wasn't the worst one though. Bring back older, recognisable names to use as regular jobbers to bulk up the roster, rather than sacrificing any of your more current talent. Is this the time that Curt Hawkins, MVP etc all started popping back up?

Hawkins re-signed in 2016, yeah, as did Jinder Mahal at roughly the same time. It looked at the time they were both gonna be used in the way you describe, but obviously it went a bit better than that for Jinder...

MVP didn't pop back up until the Rumble last year though, save a one-off on an Old School/Legends Night type Raw in 2018.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, IronSheik said:

This. Ultimate Warrior's last in-ring performance in 2008 in Madrid against Orlando Jordan.

He drew an impressive crowd looking back at it, but they match kinda stunk the joint out. The finish was horrendous.

Didn't he suffer a bad leg injury in the days leading up to it? I recall something and you can clearly see him hobbling into the ring.

On similar lines, a Memphis booker trying to promote Hogan v Lawler in Memphis in 2007 was quite the polava. Of course WWE pulled Lawler from the show before it could take place, forcing Paul Wight to replace him during one of his WWE sabbaticals.

Only drew 2,200 in a 18,000 seat arena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMG_Clash_of_Legends

Edited by garynysmon

7 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Didn't he suffer a bad leg injury in the days leading up to it? I recall something and you can clearly see him hobbling into the ring.

On similar lines, a Memphis booker trying to promote Hogan v Lawler in Memphis in 2007 was quite the polava. Of course WWE pulled Lawler from the show before it could take place, forcing Paul Wight to replace him during one of his WWE sabbaticals.

Only drew 2,200 in a 18,000 seat arena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMG_Clash_of_Legends

Wow, I was not aware of this! 

On 1/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, LaGoosh said:

In WWE he had some cracking matches though was mostly on autopilot for most his run. Most his best matches there were in his first year. I'd recommend going back and checking out his PPV bouts vs Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and triple threat with Austin and Angle all from 2001. They hold up very well. 

RVD was having very good TV matches with the likes of Rock, Angle & Austin around that time too. He was clearly still motivated and a breath of fresh air compared to the bang of shite off the rest of the alliance duds. RVD apparently turning down a storyline where he bangs Steph (cos it would upset his wife in real life) and his habit of cutting lads open with his kicks seem to have put paid to his initial push, despite the popularity. They should have really just had him win the title at that No Mercy 01 triple threat and then drop it during the unification tournament in December if it was a flop, would have been the one positive story from the disaster of the invasion angle that they at least attempted to make a new star.

• Awards Moderator

I think they did attempt it with him. Not to that level, and maybe not to the level of the big WWE names, but as someone who never watched WCW or ECW, RVD and Booker T were treated as several levels above every other new face in the Alliance and I saw them as the two worth caring about in that group.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator