Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

JBL getting the belt I can understand, he’d had a couple of stop-start pushes at the end of the 90s and into the early 00s, and he’s a company arse licker, a bully and probably on Vince’s wavelength in many disturbing ways.

Jinder just seemed to go from being a very low level heel to shooting to the top of the card in no time whatsoever, a position which as I said he was never prepared for, not even in the slightest, and ended holding the belt for close to 6 months. He held it for longer than Roman Reigns’ 3 WWE championship reigns combined as well as both of Flair’s reigns and Edge’s 4 reigns. Batista, Mankind, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, all had shorter runs with the belt that Jinder fucking Mahal, its just fucking insane to think that he was ever put in that spot

• Paid Members
Just now, WyattSheepMask said:

JBL getting the belt I can understand, he’d had a couple of stop-start pushes at the end of the 90s and into the early 00s, and he’s a company arse licker, a bully and probably on Vince’s wavelength in many disturbing ways.

Well, yeah. I always use the rise of JBL and Edge as an example of how much star power had fallen off a cliff, but at least it was understandable.

Not only had all the proper stars left in one fell swoop, they also decided to split the already weak looking main event scene into two. It then caused a scramble of "Right....fuck... who do we have then?"

2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Jinder just seemed to go from being a very low level heel to shooting to the top of the card in no time whatsoever, a position which as I said he was never prepared for, not even in the slightest, and ended holding the belt for close to 6 months. He held it for longer than Roman Reigns’ 3 WWE championship reigns combined as well as both of Flair’s reigns and Edge’s 4 reigns. Batista, Mankind, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, all had shorter runs with the belt that Jinder fucking Mahal, its just fucking insane to think that he was ever put in that spot

It was for that Indian tour, wasn't it? The tour that he didn't even have the fucking belt on. Where he  beat Haitch too. Crazy.

7 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

It was for that Indian tour, wasn't it? The tour that he didn't even have the fucking belt on. Where he  beat Haitch too. Crazy.

He' dropped the belt the month before the India tour. The match with Triple H happened on December 9th in Delhi, which Jinder lost because of course he did, and bowed to his master afterwards.

I don't think it was only for the India tour that he got the belt, I'm sure there were reports at the time that linked it to WWE renegotiating TV deals in the country as well as launching the Network there.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

On what planet was JBL getting the belt understandable? He was two months removed from being out of the Acolytes who hadn’t even won the tag belts in over 4 years, with a singles pedigree of “8 days as European Champion.”

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

On what planet was JBL getting the belt understandable? He was two months removed from being out of the Acolytes who hadn’t even won the tag belts in over 4 years, with a singles pedigree of “8 days as European Champion.”

I think as he eventually grew into the role and settled in the upper midcard (his rightful place) that a lot of people forget at the time Bradshaw turning into JBL and winning the title was really fucking weird. It really wasn't much different at all from Jinder Mahal or Sheamus's first win. The fans never accepted him as a main event level star. 

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Was it only that long? I thought he’d been split from Ron Simmons for a year or so by that point. 
By understandable, I was meaning that they’d tried a couple of times to push him as a singles before changing their mind and just sticking back in a tag team.

And 8 days as European Champion is still more pedigree than what Jinder had. Excluding the WWWF era obviously, I think he was the first WWE Champion to win the belt without having a single piece of merchandise, that’s how far down the totem pole he was.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

2312AE0D-16E1-4D4E-9690-B442AD152CC9.thumb.jpeg.4903cb094f938e3b41908d33004afe2b.jpeg

This match graphic made my head burst trying to figure out how and when it could have happened. I have absolutely no recollection of Boss Man being in WWE during or after the Invasion.

He’d dropped down to the weekend shows by mid 2000 and got injured in April 2001. Was brought back in December that year, a few TV appearances and in the Royal Rumble in January 2002, then after that was tucked away on Jakked and Heat again until May when he assigned to OVW and eventually released in 2003

Edited by WyattSheepMask