Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
On 1/17/2021 at 4:56 PM, Suplex Sinner said:

That's fair enough, he's just one of those that I didn't/don't really "get" to be honest. His entrance music was bad, his ring attire was naff and I can't remember any interesting/decent matches of his.Ā 

In WWE he had some cracking matches though was mostly on autopilot for most his run. Most his best matches there were in his first year. I'd recommend going back and checking out his PPV bouts vs Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and triple threat with Austin and Angle all from 2001. They hold up very well.Ā 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

In WWE he had some cracking matches though was mostly on autopilot for most his run. Most his best matches there were in his first year. I'd recommend going back and checking out his PPV bouts vs Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and triple threat with Austin and Angle all from 2001. They hold up very well.Ā 

Cheers - that's my afternoon viewing sorted once I finish the last bit of Navalny's latest release on the Putin Palace. Will report back!Ā 

For weeks, RVD vs Jeff Hardy was the greatest match anyone in my year at school had ever seen. Only watching Raw and Nitro at that point, we'd never heard of him. Then this smug fucker in a tiger singlet strolls out, spin-kicking human crash test dummy Hardy all over the shop, while hot-dogging and high-fiving to the fans when the rest of the Alliance was generic-heeling. It was mental.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, marc2j said:

Kozlov is such a random one as well, because they threw up a press release with Jerry Jarrett introducing him and made him out to be a somebody, but he was pretty average the whole time. God knows what the was all about.

Didn't they have a hard on for Kozlov because he was in The Wire. Obviously he wasn't a main character but you can see him in the background as muscle in a couple of scenes.Ā 

• Paid Members

I saw RVD Vs Matt Hardy on a TNA house show around 2010; absolute definition of phoning it in, but Van Dam always had a reasonably unique way of moving, and a strong enough moveset, that even an RVD match just going through the motions was still unlike anyone else's match on the card, so he had something to offer long after he stopped giving a shit, let alone when he was still motivated and over.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Here's one-Drew McIntrye was married to Tiffany/Taryn Terrell. My wife actually reminded me of this a few weeks ago when I was watching an ep of RAW.

Wasn't that quite publicised, though? It's certainly one of the first things I thought when TNA brought her in, because WWE fired her following accusations of domestic abuse towards Drew.

7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'd forgotten about him until watching Rumble 2009 recently. He really isn't better than he's credited with being. He's a stiff. Nothing comes naturally to him. He just wasn't cut out for it. It does make you wonder why it takes so long for them to see that. Are they just praying they'll improve? They put a guy like him in a position to get over with short squash matches, which almost always works. But for whatever reason, they didn't realise he wasn't good until they put him in a high profile match with Trips. Then they completely lose interest until he becomes comedy fodder. Rinse and repeat.

Iā€™m going to preface this with ā€˜2008Ā me thought he was terrifyingā€™ - Iā€™m definitely viewing him through a slightly distorted lens - but he had enough in the way of solid matches to suggest to me he was more than - as BurningRed described- a Ukrainian Jinder.

He had weaknesses - glaring ones - but as usual when WWE has a short term infatuation with aĀ wrestler they didnā€™t care and failed to book around them.

Iā€™m not trying to say he was wasted or anything like that, and even I donā€™t bloody know why Iā€™m taking it upon myself to defend Vladimir fucking Kozlov. Itā€™s just that heā€™s talked about as being a uselessĀ lump in the same mould as Khali, Kenzo Suzuki, Viscera and Jinder Mahal, and I donā€™t think thatā€™s completely true.Ā 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

RVD vs Jeff Hardy was particularly good and the Undertaker match I watched was decent too save for some absolute roaster in front of hard cam yelling/cheerleading for RVD constantly...could hear him over the crowd too.Ā 

Something else I'd forgot - Undertaker has been doing the apron leg drop for 21 years! I thought it only appeared in his offence in the 2010s!Ā 

Cheers for the recommendations!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Iā€™m not trying to say he was wasted or anything like that, and even I donā€™t bloody know why Iā€™m taking it upon myself to defend Vladimir fucking Kozlov. Itā€™s just that heā€™s talked about as being a uselessĀ lump in the same mould as Khali, Kenzo Suzuki, Viscera and Jinder Mahal, and I donā€™t think thatā€™s completely true.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

You consider Viscera a useless lump in comparison to Koslov?

Aye, one of those is not at all like the others. Even as Mabel, he was pretty good for a huge fella. He was never particularly charismatic or all that interesting but he certainly could move for a big lad. Far more natural than any of the other stiffs mentioned.Ā 

And Kozlov is most definitely one of those stiffs. Even Jinder Mahal was better. And Jinder got himself ripped while he was still a wrestler so that's another win.

16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Ā 

Aye, one of those is not at all like the others. Even as Mabel, he was pretty good for a huge fella. He was never particularly charismatic or all that interesting but he certainly could move for a big lad. Far more natural than any of the other stiffs mentioned.Ā 

And Kozlov is most definitely one of those stiffs. Even Jinder Mahal was better. And Jinder got himself ripped while he was still a wrestler so that's another win.

Have to disagree with you here. Does Mahal even have one passable match? Kozlov could at least have a fun squash, while his match with Undertaker was solid, and he had a few solid matches on Smackdown during that run. Almost all under 10 minutes in length, but solid nonetheless.

Again, I donā€™t know why Iā€™m defending him. You know that ā€˜pick the bill you want to die onā€™ phrase Vince McMahon apparently likes? This certainly isnā€™t that hill for me...but I do think Kozlov was better than youā€™re suggesting.

I actually meant to type Heidenreich and not Viscera, but I had him on my mind after watching this brilliant little squash matchĀ and wound up messing up my post. Sorry, V.Ā Ā