Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Was he any good? I knew that Regal commentated on NXT at one point, but Albert's spell as a commentator totally passed me by. 

He was alright. Nothing special. But better than Alex Riley when he was doing comms in nxt. I think he would’ve got better over time but then he got the head trainer gig. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Albert on commentary, his gruff voice and accent reminded me of Jesse Ventura. He was nothing special, but he was knowledgeable didn't detract from the product, and could have grown into something better. He felt appropriate for what was then still very much a developmental brand.

He was moved off commentary when he took over head trainer duties at the Performance Center due to Bill DeMott being a wrong'un. 

Am I the only one that had forgotten Jushin Liger had a match with Tyler Breeze at an NXT Takeover? I remember it being a bit of an odd one just to find in for I've batch at a Takeover art the time but until I was reading through this topic trying to think "what do I remember....."  I'd never have been able to tell you it happened

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Statto said:

Prichard confirmed that a program with Taker was indeed the plan on an AMA version of his podcast recently, but then Hade turned up at TV and they saw the size difference between the two, and that was that.

I always find this kind of thing staggering - that someone is scouting talent, signing them, shooting promos with them, coming up with a storyline with The Undertaker, all without ever thinking, "hang on, he's a foot too short".

• Paid Members

229F258D-7698-4A94-9EDE-E67B73BC844D.jpeg.85d20e5f4253978f1ca747d874e2442b.jpeg

20A8FED1-DDB9-41C5-ABEA-7E7256348E56.thumb.jpeg.c3a9f0cd32523fc58ac14a1bbf987ede.jpeg

John Silver getting WWE tryouts. This was news to me and looks super weird now.

What an open goal they missed not signing him though. Imagine letting Silver go to your competitor whilst you’re sending out Dexter Lumis every Wednesday.

• Paid Members

I wasn't overly familiar with John Silver pre-AEW - I'd only really seen him as a super-serious masked heel in CHIKARA years back, and while I was a fan of his work, there was nothing there to suggest he was capable of such wildly entertaining character work and great comic timing. 

I don't know if he showed all of that in his more recent indie stuff, but it feels like so much of it has just been stumbled upon since he joined AEW.

Yeah Silver is a really curious one. Until about the spring he was someone in AEW who I honestly struggled to remember the name of. He and Reynolds were just the Dark Order run in boys and were treated as such. The empty arena era giving them two some matches on DARK where they got to show off those mad move combos and BTE really made everyone take a shine to him. Like I said, the best hot tag I've seen since Daniel Bryan. It's amazing every time he does it, it even wakes old JR up, who clearly loves the bloke.

I like Alex Reynolds too, something about his voice and hair makes me think of RVD for some reason. He doesn't get enough for how solid he is. 

The Dark Order skits and characters in how they act on the online stuff always reminds me of a sitcom and not sure which it is and its bugging me.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

I think it speaks to the difference between NXT and AEW’s systems though that Silver has been able to develop into such a wildly entertaining character. Even if he’d been signed by NXT and began showing flashes of it there you know for a fact they’d either quell it or start scripting their style of comedy for him to try and adapt to. Even when someone reveals themselves to be naturally funny in WWE it just means they’re gonna end up dancing or doing shitty slapstick.

It’s something I think about with Moxley. Do you think they’re able to watch him now and still try and convince themselves that their way is the right way? Is everyone so indoctrinated that they’re unable to admit - even internally - that he’s gone on to make an absolute show of them, becoming the best top babyface of the last five to ten years?

I know it’s probably a culture of everyone bullshitting and putting on a show to toe the company line but I love the idea of someone in a meeting in Titan Towers still trying to argue they were right to go with Screamin’ Seth and Sulkin’ Roman over Dean Ambrose as the top guy.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

WWE would have latched onto the 'Hungie' thing way too much. He'd be renamed Johnnie Hungie and would be constantly snacking, taking breaks mid-match to eat a doughnut while Michael Cole does his laugh.

Johnny Hungie loves to eat and he loves to have fun 

On the Moxley thing, I've said before but AEW got a much better version than WWE had to work with, not saying they didn't do there part in fucking him up at times but the skinny body with thinning floppy hair, and somewhat lazy attitude (look at Austin podcast).

His last 6months he got in solid shape, sorted his hair, grew a beard and actually looked like a tough badass, too little too late on both parts, AEW have booked him better still think they had a better template to build on.

• Paid Members

With some people, I think there's an element of performing roughly to the level they're being given. Give Mox some motivation and a reason to be there, and he'll turn it up. Book him in a gasmask, and he'll underperform. 

Same thing, I think, with Nakamura. If he's booked as a big deal, he'll perform as a big deal - look at his NXT run or NJPW time as an example of that. But if you want him bumbling around the midcard, he's going to perform at exactly that level, and concentrate on his surfing instead*.

Some people are motivated to prove themselves with the brass ring thing. Others will take the approach 'well, if you've seen how good I am and you don't want that, fine - if you want me to do this instead, I'll do this.'

*To be fair, I'm the guy that thinks Nakamura should have won the Rumble and been the Lesnar-beater out of NXT. While I haven't seen any of his run since his AJ feud, it sounds like he's been as half-arsed as his booking since then.