Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

For some reason I'm unable to post any pics on here 🤷‍♂️ but there's a picture of Vince Mcmahon giving the go ahead for Jushin Liger to make his entrance at the Tokyo Dome. It's from the Wrestling summit which saw WWF, New Japan and All Japan put on a joint show. 

Watching it the other week, it's bonkers in hindsight. 

Shane McMahon is refereeing a Kenta Kobashi match, Tito Santana is playing heel, Bret Hart and Mitsuharu Misawa in his Tiger Mask II have a dull 20 minute draw, Hulk Hogan has a brawl with Stan Hansen unlike anything he ever had in WWF (the 10 year old me who was collecting Coliseum Home Video tapes was weirded out by this) plus you have Stan Hansen turning face for life by knocking over Mel Phillips over pre the Hogan match. 

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmSRikAm2H/?igshid=tglvvqhrc6oc

Absolutely no recollection of that. Can’t imagine Ricky flourishing in that role.

I’m sure that Ricky playing darts was involved in this somehow. Like he scored more than Chavo and Chavo got the hump. Again maybe I’m misremembering 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

They did try him as a singles just after the first brand extension - I recall him teaming with Austin and facing Scott Hall - but that lasted a matter of weeks. Possibly the plane ride from hell put paid to it?

That draft came just after Mania 18 and in the September he was injured. Excluding OVW he was basically injured until he returned on SmackDown straight back into the APA.

His career went singles nobody - New Blackjacks - singles nobody - maybe this guys better in tag teams? (Acolytes first run) - singles nobody - yeah, definitely a tag team guy (APA again) - WWE CHAMPION. What the fuck?!

I don’t think I’ll ever not get angry thinking about it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

One positive thing about JBL's career is I bet he was fucking fuming that he had to have his last ever match as a IC Title loss to Rey Mysterio in 21 seconds at Wrestlemania 25.

Looking at the WM25 card, I completely forgot about Matt vs Jeff happening.

Wasn't his back completely fucked? Pretty sure he couldn't actually wrestle a proper match but they wanted to give him a final farewell. I'm sure he was alright with a big payday on the biggest show of the year for 21 seconds work.

7 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

One positive thing about JBL's career is I bet he was fucking fuming that he had to have his last ever match as a IC Title loss to Rey Mysterio in 21 seconds at Wrestlemania 25.

Looking at the WM25 card, I completely forgot about Matt vs Jeff happening.

Why would he be fuming? A Wrestlemania payday for 30 seconds work, I bet he was fucking delighted

Early 2011. Dolph Ziggler shows up on Raw one random week with short, dark brown hair.

He looks miserable, cut out all of his theatrical stuff, and appeared to be adopting a more serious demeanour.

It didn’t even last a month. He re-started bleaching it blonde and grew it out again.

In conclusion: It was thought that Dolph’s gimmick was getting a bit samey and needed updating.

... ten years ago.

271BF088-7A64-4EC9-8559-7B92E3A7AD1A.jpeg

7 minutes ago, dopper said:

Early 2011. Dolph Ziggler shows up on Raw one random week with short, dark brown hair.

He looks miserable, cut out all of his theatrical stuff, and appeared to be adopting a more serious demeanour.

It didn’t even last a month. He re-started bleaching it blonde and grew it out again.

In conclusion: It was thought that Dolph’s gimmick was getting a bit samey and needed updating.

... ten years ago.

271BF088-7A64-4EC9-8559-7B92E3A7AD1A.jpeg

I remember this. Guessed that his likeness to Evan Bourne was the reason the look didn’t last long. 

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Considering how petty and ego driven he seems to be, I reckon the last thing he'd want his retirement match to be is getting squashed by a cruiserweight. I bet he was hoping for an Undertaker or Shawn Michaels match or something. Wanting to go out like Flair the year before.

I'd imagine the complete opposite to be honest. He always seemed to appreciate that Eddie put him over, his biggest title reign was mainly him trying to make babyfaces looks good and sneaking out with victories, he put Rey over in his first "retirement" match and strikes me as the kind of "old school" guy who thinks you should go out on your back. 

I'm not saying he's not an arsehole. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

One of the less talked about racist WWE gimmicks, Momma Benjamin. It’s either amazing or just plain sad that even in the mid-2000s WWE was able to get away with things like this, Cryme Tyme, Kung Fu Naki, Muhammad Hassan and Kerwin White.  

That last one I thought was an excellent gimmick, because of how surprisingly "real life" it was, both in terms of the character itself, and the awareness of how it would and should be received. Remember, he was booked as a heel, and it was probably the most interesting Chavo has ever been. If Eddy hadn't died, forcing him to drop the gimmick, it could've made for some great stories down the line, with either Rey or Eddy himself challenging him over his self-hating and racist behaviour.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

One of the less talked about racist WWE gimmicks, Momma Benjamin. It’s either amazing or just plain sad that even in the mid-2000s WWE was able to get away with things like this, Cryme Tyme, Kung Fu Naki, Muhammad Hassan and Kerwin White.  

The early to mid 2000s was a car crash of rapidly declining audiences leading to throwing anything to the wall and hoping it stuck.

Other than a few Bischoff moments, I hold no fondness at all for that era of RAW when they changed the intro music and had the commentators sat near the rampway.

Stuff like "Hot Lesbian Action" felt pretty fucking desperate even at the time, and society had started to move on from that Crash TV/South Park/Celebrity Deathmatch phase while the WWF was still stuck in a rut of trying to bring back the viewers they'd lost post-WM17.

That said, Kerwin White was marvellous.