Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think they did attempt it with him. Not to that level, and maybe not to the level of the big WWE names, but as someone who never watched WCW or ECW, RVD and Booker T were treated as several levels above every other new face in the Alliance and I saw them as the two worth caring about in that group.

The writing was on the wall for Booker the moment they had Steve Austin lead WCW instead of him. By the time he started tagging with Test I knew they weren’t taking him serious any time soon. Van Dam was a different matter, he’d won at Invasion, he’d won at SummerSlam, he’d won at Unforgiven and genuinely just seemed pushed as a star immediately, and not just when wrestling midcarders. A few mates and I all thought there was a chance he might win the belt at No Mercy just to really shuffle the deck and delay the (seemingly obvious) Austin vs Rock match without having to rely on Angle too much and continue the Alliance dissent angle, but it wasn’t to be. Turning Kurt was daft in the manner they did which involved telling the story they wanted to but reverting him to his natural heel state by turning him three times in three weeks.

Never forget kids, that the big Invasion of the WWF by WCW essentially boiled down to Rock & Jericho vs Austin & Angle, to determine whether Vince or his kids were the winners. Absolute bollocks.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Remember that brief spell where triple threat tag matches had a member of each team in the ring at the same time? 

• Paid Members

I can't imagine it would have been good for business if your interviewer looks bigger than the guy he's interviewing though.

9 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

He was also a commentator on nxt under the name Jason Alberts. I believe he might’ve been doing comms around the same time as Renee Young was with Tom Phillips. 

Was he any good? I knew that Regal commentated on NXT at one point, but Albert's spell as a commentator totally passed me by.