Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

One of the matches in 2009 saw him, Quackenbush and Skayde against Cesaro, Dave Taylor and Daniel Bryan, which is a combination that only gets more bonkers the further removed from it we are in time. That weekend marked his US debut, too!

Actually really enjoyed that match.

Seeing the Chyna thread reminded me that she wrestled Masahiro Chono once which I had completely forgotten about.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

And the rest! His last match with them was 2011, so he was 70 when he had his last match there. One of the matches in 2009 saw him, Quackenbush and Skayde against Cesaro, Dave Taylor and Daniel Bryan, which is a combination that only gets more bonkers the further removed from it we are in time. That weekend marked his US debut, too!

It's just wonderful that one of British wrestling's elder statesmen should have such a final flourish to his career.

• Paid Members

Definitely - he had an odd little late career resurgence, and it was great to see. Even the fact that he's under WWE contract now is utterly bonkers, and something that never would have been conceivable more than a couple of years ago.

• Paid Members

YouTube randomly suggested some WWE compilation videos so I skipped through a few of them and there was RVD winning the "big one" finally. Not only had I forgotten about it but I didn't know if it 1) counted (due to Heyman counting the fall) and 2) if it really was the "big one" as he was announced ECW World Heavyweight Champion at the end. 

It stands out as one of the reigns that should never have happened for me because RVD didn't really fit with the main event stars of the time and would fit even less in the future. Thankfully, he cocked it up for himself anyway but I bought him even less than Rey as champion. There's nothing about him that stands out and I can't remember any matches he's ever had. 

Strange.

7 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

YouTube randomly suggested some WWE compilation videos so I skipped through a few of them and there was RVD winning the "big one" finally. Not only had I forgotten about it but I didn't know if it 1) counted (due to Heyman counting the fall) and 2) if it really was the "big one" as he was announced ECW World Heavyweight Champion at the end. 

It stands out as one of the reigns that should never have happened for me because RVD didn't really fit with the main event stars of the time and would fit even less in the future. Thankfully, he cocked it up for himself anyway but I bought him even less than Rey as champion. There's nothing about him that stands out and I can't remember any matches he's ever had. 

Strange.

I’m surprised you forgot about that match as it’s the infamous RVD vs Cena from One Night Stand where the whole “if Cena wins we riot” started and the Cena entrance with him getting booed to fuck and the crowd throwing his t-shirt back at him. 

• Paid Members

The only problem with RVD is that they pulled the trigger 5 years late. It was one of those desperate decisions they kept making in the two world title era coupled with the renewed interest in ECW rather than capitalising on a guy who was fresh and uber-popular in 01/02.

There's absolutely no doubt though that it qualifies as "winning the big one". He took the (a) World title off John Cena in an incredibly heated environment. One of the best "home" crowd atmospheres they've ever had.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

2) if it really was the "big one" as he was announced ECW World Heavyweight Champion at the end. 

IIRC part of the angle going in was centered around RVD winning the WWE Championship and bringing it to the revived ECW, at which point it'd either be "thrown down" a la Shane Douglas or rebranded to serve as the new ECW title, depending on how you look at it.

On the first episode of ECW, RVD said he was going to keep the WWE belt too "cos this one's shiny & it spins", at which point they treated him as a double champion (until he got busted).

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I’m surprised you forgot about that match as it’s the infamous RVD vs Cena from One Night Stand where the whole “if Cena wins we riot” started and the Cena entrance with him getting booed to fuck and the crowd throwing his t-shirt back at him. 

I know, when I read up on it afterwards I went back and watched the whole thing because it had been completely deleted from my brain. For some reason I had it in my head that the whole boo Cena to fuck thing happened with Edge when he cashed in his first MITB. Totally bizarre.

4 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

The talk about Mania getting announced in Tampa for April reminded me that Austin Theory, pre Speaking Out revelation and linking up with Gargano on NXT, was in a trio with Andrade and Angel Garza during the empty area run on Raw last year and got a Mania tag title match out of it

And also had a brief run as Rollins’s lackey after Vega kicked him out of that group.

It was a horrendous run from start to finish. He looked like a chump, showed absolutely zero charisma and I’m not sure if he ever actually won a match. No idea what they see in him, especially to keep him around after those allegations. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, danlewis said:

Whether you rate him or not, the idea that there’s nothing about RVD that stands out is an opinion I can’t understand at all.

I agree that by that time his main event push had been left too long but, as a wrestler, he is, if nothing else, not generic.

That's fair enough, he's just one of those that I didn't/don't really "get" to be honest. His entrance music was bad, his ring attire was naff and I can't remember any interesting/decent matches of his. 

‘Mr. Perfect’ Curt Hennig vs ‘StoneCold’ Steve Austin at RAW. Around 2002?!

Scott Steiner vs John Cena 

Shawn Michaels vs Rob van Dam for ‘Big Gold’ on RAW

Triple H vs Eddie Guerrero in RAW

Chris Benoit actually won the World Title in WCW

Edited by LWOLeN