Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Pretty sure that was originally Hebner's way of telling the pinnee to kick out.

It was after Hebner left, must have been somewhere in post 2007 pre 2014.

It only lasted a few weeks, but I remember it as everyone doing it.

4 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

It was after Hebner left, must have been somewhere in post 2007 pre 2014.

It only lasted a few weeks, but I remember it as everyone doing it.

Wasn't it part of a storyline where one of the refs had missed the fact that whoever was world champion or challenging for the title had their shoulders off the mat when the three count was made in their PPV main event. So they brought this whole checking to see if the shoulders were down but it didn't actually go anywhere

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wasn’t there a point about 3 or 4 years ago were episodes of RAW had actual titles because #1220 or whatever made it sound old, similar to why Wrestlemania doesn’t have numbers anymore

I’ve seen TV scripts where the episodes are named:

Don’t know if this is still going on today though, or when it started. I guess WWE TV writers employ whatever they can to make every episode of TV they write not feel the same week in, week out.

EDIT: The title of this episode made me chuckle: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CChN55bmzMkJ-eYiZlkRPfVU9pjc_XdD08699H48Bw2L8dAhzh_hphjj74DeBRLkb5mW2OuIFX1_1XjYDDdIPlq1n_A4-f9kFrYtB1TVv5NAg0mrNX4oIJEfBgg9goeQ-tE

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members

Not entirely on topic, so apologies, but since we’re on the subject of weird WWE quirks I’m forever fascinated by their mandate that refs must call it as a shoot and if guys forget to kick out then they must count the three and ring the bell.

It touches on the point @tiger_rick made in that you can always see a slither of logic behind everything they do - after all, you want the refs to maintain credibility - but then it goes through the brain of a mad man and just creates more problems than it solves. I’m convinced there’s been way more awkward moments where the ref has counted three and everyone has stood around confused than if they’d just pretended someone kicked out. Equally, I think it’s also created problems where refs are so determined to call it as a shoot and count the three that they accidentally do it when it’s not the finish and the guy did kick out.

There was a period a year or so ago where it felt like it was happening once a week on Raw. Ref counts three when he wasn’t supposed to, everyone jumps to their feet, time stands still as everyone panics, all wide-eyed and confused, and then the commentators have to do their best to cover over the course of a few minutes. Is this really preferable over just treating it like a work? So what if the ref says it was two but the guy forgot to kick out? All it takes is a super quick line from the commentators to say the ref must have seen a kickout that we missed, and we should trust his judgment as he’s closer to the action.

But yeah, back on topic there’s nothing I love more than when you see a mad image that feels like a fever dream that could never really happen. The Saudi shows are the best for it.

DC254AF8-E161-4415-835A-4E20CDE8B5C4.jpeg.0fade724a5c04b1e7f1ad5a5f63ce7af.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

Was watching an auld Premiership years or some shite like that in a Youtube rabbit hole the other day and it showed Roy Keane giving out that Wayne Rooney was involving himself in wrestling and all that nonsense. Apparently he had a confrontation with Wade Barrett when WWE was doing TV over here. I've no recollection of that happening at all.  I remember Shane pointing out Mourinho in the crowd back when Jose was at Chelsea alright.

I can recall WWE pretty well up til about 2004 and have progressively lost interest from then on.  No interest at all in current day stuff as its all so fucking soulless and samey.

Edited by DCW

• Paid Members

Speaking as a ref, the whole "call it as a shoot" thing is pretty much the standard. 

It helps refs perform better - you don't get the Hebner thing of having two different cadences depending on whether it's the finish or not, or worrying that it might not be the finish and counting 1..2..............3 as you're half-expecting the guy being pinned to kick out. Ultimately, it's the wrestler's job to kick out on time, and if they don't, it shouldn't be the ref that suffers for it.

Where it becomes an issue is when it's one of a dozen things you need to bear in mind; take the Wrestlemania finish where Ronda Rousey had her shoulder up but the ref counted the three anyway. Assuming that it wasn't intentional to create faux controversy to build to a rematch, should the ref have called it as a kick-out? He'd have been at risk of throwing off the timing to the finish to the main event of Wrestlemania, with an inexperienced wrestler who potentially couldn't have reliably ad-libbed back to a suitable finish, so that's something else to consider. The ref was also out of position, so didn't have a clear view of the shoulders - so, naturally, you'd want to say that he should have been better positioned for the finish. But if he had been, he would have been blocking hard cam, so he shouldn't have been doing that either. So that's a ton of decisions you have to consider in the split-second between the start of the cover and hitting the mat.

• Paid Members

There’s a shitload of stuff I forget and only remember when it gets mentioned on here. Or sometimes if I get a random like for something I tweeted about the product years ago. Truly remarkable.

* Kizarny

* The Social Outcasts

* Palmer Cannon

* Ricochet actually had a title shot against Lesnar.

* Harper and Rowan being called The Bludgeon Brothers for a bit, post-Wyatts.

* Trish coming back at the first Women’s Rumble WASNT her first match since retiring - she was in that Snooki match at a WrestleMania!

* Hawkins and Ryder previously being the Major brothers or something like that.

* Fake Kane.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Palmer Cannon

I know I'm in the minority but I liked palmer cannon, a straight up non heel non face authority with a clear on screen reason to make matches. 

The junior division he was credited as starting can get fucked though. 

56 minutes ago, DCW said:

Was watching an auld Premiership years or some shite like that in a Youtube rabbit hole

You didn't happen across that clip of mysterio saying he was disappointed Mexico weren't playing in the Euros did you? 

Fake Kane

May 19th 2006. Surely everyone remembers that? 

Edited by Tommy!