Did that really happen?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I woke up about 4:30am today and couldn't get back to sleep, primarily because I suddenly remembered that the Viking Raiders & the Street Profits had a "cinematic" backstage brawl that involved them falling into a dumpster containing some kind of creature, and joining forces to fight off Akira Tozawa's gang of motorcycle ninjas (including his own "personal collosus").

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Just seen a tweet from Corbin that he, Lashley and Drew were some sort of faction on Raw for a bit.

When on earth was that?!

Whenever Ambrose/Moxley was leaving. Early 2018? They formed to essentially be the Shield's final swansong at (i wanna say) Fastlane 2018.

• Paid Members
On 3/30/2021 at 8:50 AM, The King of Old School said:

Just seen a tweet from Corbin that he, Lashley and Drew were some sort of faction on Raw for a bit.

When on earth was that?!

On 3/30/2021 at 8:56 AM, Mikeymike83 said:

Whenever Ambrose/Moxley was leaving. Early 2018? They formed to essentially be the Shield's final swansong at (i wanna say) Fastlane 2018.

Who were Braun’s accomplices when they briefly did a trios program of sorts with the Shield? Was it Drew and Ziggler? Never forget that when the company builds a Cell match between Roman +2 and Braun +2 the winner will end up being.... Brock Lesnar.

• Paid Members

Seeing that new NJPW belt reminded me that WWE dropped the IC Title for a bit. Then I wondered if I'd made it up so had a look at the title history and, sure enough, it disappeared in late 2002 for about six months. Was it Kane v Trips in the unification match after all that Katie Vick nonsense?

Wasn't there a rumour that RAW's main title was going to be the Intercontinental championship but HHH didn't like the idea and so they brought back the World Heavyweight championship? 

Then they just got folded the IC title into the World Heavyweight title. Then 8 months later they presumably decided it would be nice for other people to hold a belt. 

25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah it was around that time. Unified it with the World Title, I want to say they unified the Hardcore & European titles around the same time, or maybe that was a few months earlier

Brought it back in a Battle Royale, which I think was won by Christian

From Wiki

"On the July 22 episode of Raw, Van Dam unified the WWE European Championship into the WWE Intercontinental Championship after he defeated Jeff Hardy in a title unification ladder match. As a result, the European title was abandoned.

On the August 26 episode of Raw, Van Dam also unified the WWE Hardcore Championship into the WWE Intercontinental Championship by defeating Hardcore Champion Tommy Dreamer in a hardcore title unification match. As a result, the WWE Hardcore Championship was abandoned."

IC title unification with World

"Kane began feuding with Triple H, leading to a match at No Mercy on October 20 in which both Kane's Intercontinental Championship and Triple H's World Heavyweight Championship were at stake. In the weeks preceding the match, Triple H claimed that, several years earlier, Kane had an unrequited relationship with a woman named Katie Vick"

My memory of it was slightly off, I could have sworn RVD lost the hardcore title to the World champion HHH in a unification bout.

• Awards Moderator

I think RVD vs. HHH at Unforgiven that year was for both the Intercontinental and World titles rather than the Kane match - Kane didn't hold the IC belt in 2002. Possibly the No Mercy match was for the unified World-IC title and maybe HHH was carrying both belts around, but RVD was the last IC champ before they got rid of it, I'm sure.

56 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think RVD vs. HHH at Unforgiven that year was for both the Intercontinental and World titles rather than the Kane match - Kane didn't hold the IC belt in 2002. Possibly the No Mercy match was for the unified World-IC title and maybe HHH was carrying both belts around, but RVD was the last IC champ before they got rid of it, I'm sure.

It was definitely Kane, he won the belt from Jericho about two weeks before he faced HHH at No Mercy, which was a unification match.

RVD unified the IC and European Title's against Jeff Hardy in May 2002, and then the Hardcore and IC Title against Tommy Dreamer a couple of months later.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

It was definitely Kane, he won the belt from Jericho about two weeks before he faced HHH at No Mercy, which was a unification match.

RVD unified the IC and European Title's against Jeff Hardy in August 2002, and then the Hardcore and IC Title against Tommy Dreamer a couple of months later.

You're right. My memory is going, I don't remember that at all!

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was pretty much the end of Kane when he was still really over. It's easy to forget that he had some great moments as a baby in those couple of years without it ever going anywhere. That Raw in Feb 2000 with the awesome 10-man tag ends with Kane returning to a monster reception. Earlier n 2002 he tags with Hogan and The Rock (I think) and has the crowd in stitches doing his Hogan bit in a backstage promo. This was the time to pull the trigger on him. Instead, he lost the belt, then the mask, was revealed to be pretty much completely normal, turned heel and meant nothing much from then on.

No Mercy 2002 is the PPV where the IC belt is unified as mentioned above. The show has a cold opening of Taker and Kane sitting on the bench. Kane has been accused of being a murderer. Taker has a broken hand and has been accused of cheating on Sara. Kane sits down and just says "So, how was your week?"