Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I mean, that was pretty much his whole journalistic output. He was brilliant.

Yeah, it's the sort of stuff that's great to read at the time, but doesn't hold up much for me when you look back. I sometimes listen to the excellent podcast Chart Music, which features various ex-Melody Maker writers (Simon Price, Neil Kulkarni, Taylor Parkes and others) talking about old episodes of Top Of the Tops. It's really funny and interesting, but I find the episodes that cover the time period when they were writing professionally to be least enjoyable by far. They slip into their old vitriolic reviewing personas very easily and start laying on hyperbole about how shit bands are and slapping each other on the back about how funny their old reviews were (a lot like how I imagine a UKFF podcast talking about old posts would be). 

• Paid Members

People who don't pack as they scan on the self service checkouts are all, at best, LibDems. That's right, leave it all to the end and pack it then, Miles, don't worry about the seething queue behind you.

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

People who don't pack as they scan on the self service checkouts are all, at best, LibDems. That's right, leave it all to the end and pack it then, Miles, don't worry about the seething queue behind you.

Couple of things. They hide all the bags and run off in my Asda. If you so much as look at the packing station before you’ve paid it tells you to get fucked and rescan which ever product you were meant to have put in their last and lastly it’s a self scan, it takes about 10 seconds to pack. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, gmoney said:

I may be revealing myself to be a complete numpty, but where I shop (Lidl) I don't think you can take stuff out of the area before you pay for it? 

The trick is to put your own bag in the bagging bit before you start scanning, and then throw stuff into it as you go. But depending on the size/shape of the bag, and how weight-sensitive the self-checkout is, it usually just ballses up and you're left moving stuff around and having to pack at the end anyway.

My local big Sainsburys has removed almost all of their proper checkout lanes, and put in more (and bigger) self checkouts now. I'm normally annoyed by anyone taking a trolley-full of stuff through self checkout as it is, and these are clearly designed for that. 

Personal annoyance in this area was that the other day I went to Lidl, massive queue at the self checkouts - again, a few very full trolleys worth of stuff, which it's not laid out to accommodate, and I was only buying two or three items - and neither of the two cash checkouts were working. But they didn't have anyone telling people that, just had to wait 'til you got to the front of the queue, where there was one member of staff calling people forward if they were paying by card. They get a lot of cash customers, and I don't know what they particularly expected them to do once they got to the front. 

Another customer service moan while I'm at it - went to CEX yesterday, looking on the off-chance they had a couple of DVDs/Blu-Rays I decided I wanted. They didn't, but my girlfriend found a movie called "Frankenstein General Hospital" for a quid that looks absolute dogshit and insisted we buy it, and I found a Takeshi Kitano boxset. Went up to the counter, and I don't expect or particularly care if I get big smiles and hi-how-are-yous, but basically just had a bloke grunt at me instead, which is a bit too far down the opposite end of the scale. He proceeded to spend a full ten minutes "looking" for the Takeshi Kitano DVDs - though I could see that the first place he looked was in the "A-Z Blu Rays" shelf, then he just seemed to be pulling discs at random from different bits of the A-Z DVDs, before disappearing out of sight. While I was waiting, four or five other people were served, until eventually it was just me waiting. It had been pretty obvious for a long time that he couldn't find anything, but at no point did he ask any of his colleagues for help, nor did any of them seem to offer to help him. Eventually, he just shrugged at me and said, "we don't have these ones". I was too fed up to be bothered asking if he could ask someone else to look for them or anything like that, or to suggest that the fact that they had the boxset on display would suggest they probably actually did have the DVDs back there somewhere. No "I'm sorry" either for the wait or for not getting what I was trying to buy, no attempt at explanation or anything, just a mumbled "don't have them", as if that's just an everyday thing that can't be helped. Tempted to pop back in a day or two and see if it's back on the shelf and try and buy it from anyone else working there.

Long story short, after all that, I came away with nothing but sodding Frankenstein General Hospital.

• Paid Members

Lack of media literacy combined with an assumption that one's own experience is universal.

A video just came up on my Facebook titled something like "As Kids We Were Too Innocent To Understand What Happened To The Kittens". It was a clip from a Tom & Jerry cartoon, where Tom goes to Heaven, and there's another cat at the door checking people in as they arrive. Before Tom, a wet sack bounces up to the gate, and three smiling kittens pop their heads out.

The kittens were drowned in a sack. I understood that as a kid. It's not a secret joke designed to go over children's heads. 

21 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Lack of media literacy combined with an assumption that one's own experience is universal.

I saw one of these a couple of weeks ago where people where "only just realising" that the cop at the beginning of Home Alone was Joe Pesci.

Surely nobody's "only just realising" this stuff and it's just designed to get comments, even if those comments are people telling them they're stupid?

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, s279 said:

I saw one of these a couple of weeks ago where people where "only just realising" that the cop at the beginning of Home Alone was Joe Pesci.

Surely nobody's "only just realising" this stuff and it's just designed to get comments, even if those comments are people telling them they're stupid?

Some YouTubers are known to put deliberate mistakes or mispronunce words to generate comments.