Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

New temp at work is the dullest, most irritating man in the world.

He recently claimed that he doesn't watch films, and doesn't like to read fiction, because "it's all made up, it's not real". He did say that he likes to watch documentaries, but I've yet to hear him mention a single documentary that he's actually watched, and he seems to have a complete lack of curiosity about how the world works at all. 

He's currently leading the office in yet another iteration of the Harry & Megan conversation - the number one reason why I prefer to work from home - and said how he thinks Jeremy Clarkson's column about Megan was "genius" and "hilarious". He said that he doesn't know where you get the inspiration for something as good as, "I hate her at a cellular level" - I was tempted to suggest that maybe reading or watching some fiction might broaden his horizons as to where "inspiration" comes from - and then started trying to argue that people "didn't understand the context", because he was comparing it to "a film or a book or a series or something"; a context that, not watching films or reading fiction, he neither understood or remembered himself, but that he's adamant everybody else missed.

Last week, his misremembered talk radio story was that he was convinced that a school in London was going to be renamed "Political Correctness Primary School". 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

New temp at work is the dullest, most irritating man in the world.

He recently claimed that he doesn't watch films, and doesn't like to read fiction, because "it's all made up, it's not real". He did say that he likes to watch documentaries, but I've yet to hear him mention a single documentary that he's actually watched, and he seems to have a complete lack of curiosity about how the world works at all. 

He's currently leading the office in yet another iteration of the Harry & Megan conversation - the number one reason why I prefer to work from home - and said how he thinks Jeremy Clarkson's column about Megan was "genius" and "hilarious". He said that he doesn't know where you get the inspiration for something as good as, "I hate her at a cellular level" - I was tempted to suggest that maybe reading or watching some fiction might broaden his horizons as to where "inspiration" comes from - and then started trying to argue that people "didn't understand the context", because he was comparing it to "a film or a book or a series or something"; a context that, not watching films or reading fiction, he neither understood or remembered himself, but that he's adamant everybody else missed.

Last week, his misremembered talk radio story was that he was convinced that a school in London was going to be renamed "Political Correctness Primary School". 

Is your temp Michael Owen by any chance? The description is dangerously close.

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/michael-owen-films-371076

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Harry & Megan conversation - the number one reason why I prefer to work from home - and said how he thinks Jeremy Clarkson's column about Megan was "genius" and "hilarious".

Yes, same, I’m so glad I don’t have to listen and try to chip in to topical chats that I couldn’t give a shit about. But if you don’t say anything & just there, people start to think you’re mardy (partly true, but just usually tired). 

I’ve mentioned my partners family before. They were talking about rented accommodation in Bedworth and how it’s expensive. Her dad said to her sister “And you can’t get the good houses because they rent them to illegal immigrants and that’s true”. After a few seconds I piped up with “Who is renting houses to illegal immigrants?”  As my partner looked at me and said “NO!”, he said “The council”. I replied with “I can guarantee you that’s not true” as my partner ordered me to be quiet. 

About five minutes later he was in the kitchen and I overheard him say to her sister in a mocking manner “I wish I could sit there and fact check everything on my phone” and I thought “Yes!! I really wish you could as well!”  He was frosty with me for the remainder of our visit and my partner said I’d pissed him off and annoyed her a bit too. To be honest I was honestly trying to make him know the distinction between an illegal immigrant and an asylum seeker. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• 2 weeks later...

An ad for a 'Sports podcast convention' is always playing on my Spotify for the last few days. When giving the dates for the event, the voice over says "From eighth to twelfth of February". Every time I hear it, it sounds so unnatural that they don't put a "the" before each date. It annoys me that no one producing/editing this did not pick up on it. 

31 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

🎵Just sold my car, at we buy any car🎵

Something I really admire about the original song is how it’s often credited to “Nightcrawlers featuring John Reid” when Nightcrawlers WAS John Reid. 

Mobile phone naming conventions, or the lack thereof.

Shopping for a new phone is a nightmare if you don't give a shit about phones in between buying them. You'd think iPhone model numbers would be simple after hearing model names like "iPhone 6" etc, but no, you've also got bollocks like "iPhone XR" and "iPhone SE," the latter of which comes in three generations and will the store page tell you which it is? Oh Zeb, you sweet summer child.

• Paid Members

I don't know the first thing about phones, was the last person I knew to get a smartphone, only ever buy a new one when the previous one becomes completely unusable, all that stuff. I haven't the faintest idea what the difference between two phones is, whether this Motorola would be better than this Samsung, or whatever, but you'd think it should at least be easier to figure out whether different models of the same phone are better or worse.

I've got a Motorola, higher model number than my previous phone, so assumed it would be an improvement. It maybe is in some areas, but it doesn't have contactless on it, which the previous, older phone did. It took me the first time I was at the shop trying to pay with it and it not doing anything to realise that.