Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

The grocer's apostrophe has become the de facto for signs.  At this point it must be sign makers changing the text they receive to have apostrophes, unless every business owner also has no idea how to use them.

If a mistake is made often enough some arsehole will suggest changing the rules to include it, which infuriates me.  A good example being the meaning of "literally" which some dictionaries are actually changing so it can also mean the opposite of what it used to mean, i.e "figuratively".  I'm all for an evolving language but not when you're abandoning a perfectly serviceable word and completely changing the meaning of another just because people's education is lacking.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Tamura said:

Sign-makers that can't get apostrophes correct. Especially when they aren't even consistent in the same sign...

With such cavalier use of the apostrophe, clearly these are people living on the very fringes of society.

• Paid Members

Current annoyance.

Registered to volunteer with a local football club in helping out with web and digital stuff. Got an almost-instant response when I submitted my details. In November.

Since then I’ve had three hour-long Zoom calls over three months where people just keep going over how we’re all “time poor” and “need to make the best use of our time” yet keep dithering about on calls without setting any next steps or action points.

• Paid Members

That confused.com advert that says "how did the inventer of the clock know what time it was" and a mechanical bird says "just make it up". 

The recording of time via the sun and the breaking of the day into hours on a base 12 existed for thousands of years before the mechanical clock as far back as ancient Egypt and Greece, perhaps further but my knowledge stops there, but it's not like It's you need Google an astrolabe to know a sun dial is a thing and it's older than the mechanical clock surely. 

• Paid Members

McDonalds adverts really went to shit lately. The Maya Jama one for the McCrispy was only slightly irritating for using “100% chicken breast fillet” as a selling point when (a) it shouldn’t have to be highlighted and (b) their existing chicken burgers were. That eyebrows one where the whole office wordlessly decides to go to McDs is awful, and commits one of my sins of advertising in that while we all recognise the brand, there’s not a single shot of the product in it. Then the other day I saw the McSpicy ad… I know what they’re going for but somehow every one of the people pulling their various faces, instead of convincing me of the heat of the food, just makes me feel somehow that they’re a twat. I can’t explain it.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Strong parallels to you and Orton, potential to have been one of the all time greats but relied too heavily on the same routine and spots. 

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I AM an all time great. 

I thought he meant that both your dad's had Hepatitis C.