Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

"Can I just shock you?"

I wouldn't mind it if it actually led into a different or vaguely controversial opinion, but it invariably prefaces someone stating the common opinion or, even worse, just stating something utterly bland and normal. Someone in OT used it. Their earth-shattering reveal? "I watched NXT." Fuxake. If it's meant ironically or sarcastically, it's not coming across, especially as it's phrased in a way that doesn't seem like it would come out of someone's mouth. It also reeks of "I'm so special and edgy, me" terminal uniqueness.

Or it's just the evolution of language and I'm not a hip cat anymore.

This was me in the NXT thread. For context, the term is a reference to a popular Alan Partridge catchphrase. For additional context, watching NXT itself wasn't the earth-shattering reveal - the surprise I was conveying referenced that fact I enjoyed a full episode of the show for the first time in a long while. It certainly wasn't an attempt to come across as special, edgy or 'look at me!' and I was trying to convey how overwhelmingly positive I found the show to be. Hopefully the rest of the post conveys that. 

EDIT - Why do I keep saying the word convey? 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

This one might be technical ignorance guiding my cynicism so bear with me…

Smart plugs connect to the Internet through the home wi fi. Through my mobile, and the Home app, which is also connected to the Internet, I can use my phone to turn the plugs on and off manually. Am I seriously supposed to be believe, when the plugs have connection to the Internet through a router that’s never switched off, and my phone talks to the plugs through an app, that it actually physically requires a “hub” to operate the plugs remotely? The hub which also only gets its connection from the same router??? And how about “scenes” - the app is where you set them up but you can’t actually use them without a hub? What’s essentially a glorified timer can’t just run through an app and the net, it needs a whole separate plastic brick sitting on the counter? Or is this just Apple finding a clever way to sell another piece of hardware by manufacturing a problem that needn’t exist?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Coconut said:

I've got lights, plugs, garden hoses and webcams without any hub needed.

That's possibly the most unique OnlyFans I can imagine.

I’m not policing people’s language and personal experiences with such a horrible time, but a minor annoyance of mine is when someone is referred to as “Losing their battle with cancer”. It suggests they could’ve tried a different strategy or did something different, and they would still be alive if they did. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m not policing people’s language and personal experiences with such a horrible time, but a minor annoyance of mine is when some is referred to as “Losing their battle with cancer”. It suggests they could’ve tried a different strategy or did something different, and they would still be alive if they did. 

https://www.theonion.com/loved-ones-recall-local-mans-cowardly-battle-with-cance-1819565052

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m not policing people’s language and personal experiences with such a horrible time, but a minor annoyance of mine is when someone is referred to as “Losing their battle with cancer”. It suggests they could’ve tried a different strategy or did something different, and they would still be alive if they did. 

Steven Wells made that point a lot when he was dying from it - that he wasn't in a "battle" or "fighting" cancer, he was dying of a horrible disease and there was fuck all he could do about it. I can't find any of those articles now, but did find plenty of obituaries that use that exact "lost his battle" cliché regardless.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Steven Wells made that point a lot when he was dying from it - that he wasn't in a "battle" or "fighting" cancer, he was dying of a horrible disease and there was fuck all he could do about it. I can't find any of those articles now, but did find plenty of obituaries that use that exact "lost his battle" cliché regardless.

He sure was one of the good ones.