Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

My phone isn't always charging properly by cable. It's less than 5 months old, as if the official charger and cable I user. Took it to an EE store that advertises next day repair as its an EE phone. Inevitably they don't do next say repair but whatever.

Bloke checks it with an unofficial charger. "Works fine."

Explain that I have had problems with it.

Tries it with a different charger. Message comes up about slow charging and then it doesn't charge. "I'll take it to the back to show my manager."

Come back after 5 minutes. "We'll send it for repair but if the engineer thinks you might have caused any damage you'll have to pay for it."

Ask how I could have damaged it.

"By plugging it in. Could have been you wedged in a speck of dust."

Ask how they would know that it happened when I plugged it in and not when he plugged it in.

"If you  have a broken leg and you go to the doctor you wouldn't then complain that your leg is broken."

Point out that a doctor could damage it further.

"Well yeah. You're trying it on."

Fuck sake. It wasn't my metaphor, it was his! I didn't try and change the topic with a faulty metaphor. I just asked how they could tell I damaged something by doing the exact same thing they did. 

If they have said "if you've played basketball with it you'll have to pay for any damage" but why would I have to pay for damaging a phone port by plugging a phone charger into it?

• Paid Members

EE are the worst bunch of overcharging bastards in an industry of overcharging bastards. Couldn’t get anything other than a paltry 4 GB for less than £70/month, even as a “new” customer. Got sick of paying Kevin Bacon’s salary so moved on. Didn’t even get a “we can do you a deal to stay” call. They literally don’t give a shit.

1 hour ago, RalphyV2 said:

Smarty is brill, was paying £10 for 60GB 

Do you remember which network they piggyback on? Been tempted before as they're cheaper than Giffgaff for what I use, but don't want to end up with worse local coverage.

Netflix content warnings at the beginning of episodes. I appreciate they’re a nice thing and are trying to be considerate, but they can lead to inadvertent spoilers. I was watching a show that had a troubled character going through a bad patch and at the start of the episode it said “Warning - Suicide”. Sure as shit, the character topped themselves and it totally took away the drama. 

• Paid Members

The @'ing of big businesses/football clubs etc on social media in criticism. The most pointless exercise in the world (unless it's used as a service to respond to queries obviously). Football Twitter is especially toxic, eye-rolling for this. "Just sack the manager already!" - Yep. I'm sure the football club's social media team will report that back to the board of directors and a decision will be made immediately. 

By all means moan and voice your opinion on it but tagging the official accounts is just odd. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

By all means moan and voice your opinion on it but tagging the official accounts is just odd. 

I can't speak for sport but many many big brands and no doubt smaller ones run social listening through services that show overall barometers and word clouds to provide sentiment analysis on social media. It's a way of aggregating opinion, especially as new campaigns or slogans are launched. 

Like I said not directly related to football but I'd be shocked if larger organisations don't have this. So it's not entirely redundant. Not saying that's what Kieran from Walsall is intending but it gets fed somewhere and someone's being paid to monitor it. 

Edited by Onyx2

When it comes to modern versions of cartoons I grew up with, I usually try to stay open minded and remember it's not being made for me. Transformers? Do what you like. Thundercats? Revamp away.

But the fact the new Inspector Gadget couldn't resist meddling with one of the greatest theme tunes of all time has mildly annoyed me. These kids have been robbed.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, RalphyV2 said:

Smarty is brill, was paying £10 for 60GB 

Will vouch for this, I had a 100GB of data on a ÂŁ15 /m plan. Internet connection was always spot on with it, even when going through the countryside, streaming a game or whatnot

Edited by Mikeymike83

• Paid Members

NOTHING should be as hard to open as the packaging on LR44 batteries. I felt like Ultra Magnus clawing futilely at the Matrix.

While I’m at it, battery operated decorations that need a little screw undoing to open them on top of a normal clip. Fuck off!

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The reason for both of those things is that lr44 batteries are super dangerous for kids.

I get that but couldn’t we just slap a “Don’t let your kids swallow batteries” warning for morons on all the packs like the nut allergen warning on peanut packets? Which also represent a choking hazard to little kids but don’t need a Sonic Screwdriver to open.

Plus those stupid little screws show up in stuff that takes AA batteries too but other devices that take AA or AAA don’t. And I reckon the unsupervised kid who’s stupid or determined enough could swallow those as easily. I dunno, I thought we’d become wiser as a society in the way we don’t need those PSAs telling kids not to die on train tracks or fall into moving tractors, but maybe we need new ones for parents such as “Don’t leave your kids unattended if they haven’t learned the difference between sweets and batteries yet.”

I’m sticking with “there to vex me.” Along with my smoke detectors needing those chunky square batteries I haven’t bought since Galvatron went in the loft more than 25 years ago.