Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

We've got a leaking radiator, which need to be replaced. Annoying enough. We live in an ancient block of flats where the water flow can't be turned off to individual properties, so to get the new one on we have to drain the entire system and have the heating for all 50 flats turned off, and to do so we have to go through the building's management agency. Unbelievable fuck about. What stupid cunt designed this? 

Buying a takeaway Americano from literally any coffee shop. They fill it so full to the brim that it just spills out the top and all over your hand. Costa are the worst offenders.

"Ah nice one. Nah its cool I wanted to lick half of it off my hand anyway. The skin on my hand? No I wasn't fond of that, scald away!!!" 

And yes, I do ALWAYS ask if they wouldn't mind not filling it so high, and it never changes. 

Such a first world problem I know, but very minorly annoying.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

I get that but couldn’t we just slap a “Don’t let your kids swallow batteries” warning for morons on all the packs like the nut allergen warning on peanut packets? Which also represent a choking hazard to little kids but don’t need a Sonic Screwdriver to open.

I know you're just venting and probably not particularly interested, but it's not because they're a choking hazard. They're super dangerous if swallowed. If you had a child who had a peanut allergy that could kill them you just wouldn't have them in the house / would keep them out of reach.

The idea of permanent adult supervision as an alternative is laughable and doesn't feel like it really warrants any dissection, just more than 5 seconds thought.

With you on the 9v batteries though, which seemingly can't be bought in packs smaller than 5 as well.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

They're super dangerous if swallowed

I was curious to learn more, and apparently "Every year in the United States, more than 3,500 people of all ages swallow button batteries" & "Button batteries may also cause permanent injury when they are placed in the nose or the ears. Young children and elderly people have been particularly involved in this kind of incident".

It did also explain the specific danger of internal reaction, but I think Air raids warning needs updating to "Don’t let your Americans, kids or pensions swallow batteries". 

The US also have a "24-hour National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 800-498-8666" 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

With you on the 9v batteries though, which seemingly can't be bought in packs smaller than 5 as well.

Tesco sell them in a twin pack which was very convenient as that’s how many I needed.

• Paid Members

The continued overuse of ellipsis, particularly on Twitter when used to make a point of contention. It makes my wheels wobble. Again, frequently used in the context of sport. “And the club say there’s no problem…” “Yeah, that’ll work out…” “Maybe he’ll work out he’s not as good as he thinks he is…”

Not sure if it’s that fact that it’s used so frequently in a condescending tone, or whether it’s the hesitation and word omissions implied per the definition of the ellipsis itself, but in any event it gives me the willies. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Add to that, people who don't know what an ellipsis actually is, and happily use four, five or even more dots......

More dots means more pretentious implied wistfulness……….

"Can I just shock you?"

I wouldn't mind it if it actually led into a different or vaguely controversial opinion, but it invariably prefaces someone stating the common opinion or, even worse, just stating something utterly bland and normal. Someone in OT used it. Their earth-shattering reveal? "I watched NXT." Fuxake. If it's meant ironically or sarcastically, it's not coming across, especially as it's phrased in a way that doesn't seem like it would come out of someone's mouth. It also reeks of "I'm so special and edgy, me" terminal uniqueness.

Or it's just the evolution of language and I'm not a hip cat anymore.

• Paid Members

I have an old co worker who because he works seasonally is now at home for 3 months paid and has taken to commenting on every social media post about football raging about player values, which clubs deserve the most merit, Harry Kane in general and it's the same thing on what has to be close to 50 threads in 3 days.

He's a nice guy so I don't want to do away with him on media but at the same time I'm finding it hard to resist posting the Simpsons Old Man Shouts at Cloud photo every time he posts. 

It'd not be so bad if every comment he's made isn't just a blatant attempt to bait someone and all he gets back is laughing emojis baiting him more.

• Paid Members

I've only ever seen it used ironically, or referencing the Alan Partridge where he's trying to get into the BBC commissioner's good books.

Waiter: Will you be having wine with your meal?
Tony: Not for me.
Alan: All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people don’t you? You know, wine this, wine that!. Let’s have a bit of red; let’s have a bit of white! Oooh that’s a snazzy bouquet! Oooh this smells of, I don’t know, basil! Sometimes you just want to say ‘sod all this wine just give me a pint of mineral water’.
Tony: I don’t think wine is an elitist thing anymore. You can get good wine in Tesco’s now. I’d love to make a genuinely popular wine programme.
Alan: Can I just shock you? I like wine! Despite what I just said earlier. At any one time I have nine bottles of wine in my house.

Replying to @CavemanLynn

Edited by gmoney