Paid Members air_raid Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 To answer…. “Ibupren” I’ve heard many times from thickies. Conversely I have a warm affinity for these ones we get in Poland, not sure why. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 11 hours ago, Statto said: My wife and all her family (mis)pronounce it "eye-BOOPRA-fen" which jars me no end. My missus and in laws all do that too! Drives me crazy. You wouldn't happen to be married to my idiotic sister-in-law would you? Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted January 16 Posted January 16 While we’re at it, is it ‘para-seat-a-mol’ or ‘para-set-a-mol’? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 16 Members Posted January 16 26 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: While we’re at it, is it ‘para-seat-a-mol’ or ‘para-set-a-mol’? Scone. Quote
deathrey Posted January 16 Posted January 16 39 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: ‘para-seat-a-mol’ Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 the "why are there no aspirin in the jungle?" joke works with either pronunciation. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: While we’re at it, is it ‘para-seat-a-mol’ or ‘para-set-a-mol’? Neither Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 My sister’s fella pronounces it ‘Iburafen’ and it drives me up the wall. How? Silly twat must think the P and the O are silent or something. He also, for some reason, says “each and other” instead of just “each other” like a normal person. “They were talking to one and each other”. What? There are most likely a bunch more ways he butchers certain words and phrases that I’ve either forgotten or haven’t heard yet and my sister hasn’t told me about because she knows I’ll have a brain aneurysm. Yeah he’s thick as mince. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 16 Members Posted January 16 21 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said: There are most likely a bunch more ways he butchers certain words and phrases Is he little Carmine? The sacred and the propane. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted January 16 Paid Members Posted January 16 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Is he little Carmine? He’s an old fashioned guy, very allegorical. Another one, he asked me once “what was that thing with Ricky Jarvis?” I said I didn’t know who he was talking about and he reacted like I was the thick one. After about 30 seconds of his nonsense I realised who he meant. Ricky Jarvis. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 17 Paid Members Posted January 17 People who say "Very unique" Unique means only one of its kind, unparalleled, unlike anything else. Something cannot be very unique, it's either unique or its not. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted January 17 Paid Members Posted January 17 29 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: People who say "Very unique" See also "somewhat unique." Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted January 17 Paid Members Posted January 17 Excellent call, I cannot stand “very unique”. Every time someone does that I hear the bit from Captain Fantastic: I’m pedantic about that sort of thing as it is, but things like that feel indicative of the death of media literacy, which is an ongoing very bloody major annoyance of mine. In the same movie I particularly like him considering “interesting” to be a non-word when analysing a piece of art. Not necessarily a misuse grammatically, but a waste of a word. I feel that way about “underrated” and “overrated” as well. There are of course times when they can apply, but the vast majority of the time I find those words have little or no utility. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 17 Paid Members Posted January 17 It's the case for most superlative adjectives, really. Like "very delicious", or "really miraculous"; absolutes are, by definition, not subject to degrees. My linguistic peeve, which I've mentioned on here before, and I fully accept is a valid casualty in the war of attrition that is language change, is describing a sound as "iconic" (a visual descriptor) instead of "anthemic". Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.