Paid Members air_raid Posted January 3 Paid Members Posted January 3 Too many scripts or song lyrics these days using “(insert X) and I” presumably to sound smart or eloquent when as the object rather than subject of the sentence, “and me” is correct. It’s another “revert” situation that I’m terrified is just going to become accepted as “fine” when it isn’t. It’s incorrect. Quote
Paid Members Ronnie Posted January 3 Paid Members Posted January 3 27 minutes ago, air_raid said: I’m terrified is just going to become accepted as “fine” when it isn’t. It’s incorrect. You lost that battle long ago. It's been the trademark of an aspirational manner of talking for as long as I can remember. (Those not quite ready to make the jump often opt for “myself” instead.) I think that the origin is fairly easy to discern: “Me and air_raid had a good moan” gets corrected to “air-raid and I”, and the reason isn't clarified but the lesson is absorbed as “‘me‘ is wrong”. And so there's hypercorrection in those cases where “me” is unequivocally correct, reinforced by hearing so many other supposedly educated people say, “Between you and I” and “Best wishes from air_raid and I”. Quote
King Mal the Glorious Posted January 5 Posted January 5 Spent over an hour walking to work in the ice and snow, only to get sent home after 20 minutes because the internet isn't working and IT aren't in to fix it. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 5 Paid Members Posted January 5 Making an small, simple error I've never made before, while doing a task that I do all the time, then repeating that same error constantly afterwards. I've clicked the wrong button while doing something easy at work today about five times. The button has not moved. Infuriating. I get a similar thing happen in video games as well. I can be on a certain section of a game, a hard boss in Dark Souls or whatever, and then suddenly I can't even get to the boss because I'm being walloped by an easy enemy every time or falling off the same bit of a ledge or whatever. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 9 Paid Members Posted January 9 The difference between traditional outtakes and what I think of as the more American style bloopers and the slow encroach of this latter, less funny style taking over. Outtakes Compilation of actors trying to say lines and corpsing. Inexplicably one of the most infectiously funny things you can watch. The inclusion of clapperboards showing how many takes they've done welcomed. AMAZING Bloopers Has some corpsing, but will also usually have a shitty "funny" soundtrack underneath it, as well as stupid pranks played on set, someone doing something self consciously wacky or even to camera interviews about how so bloody silly Steve Carrell was on set. SHITE. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 10 Paid Members Posted January 10 14 hours ago, gmoney said: The difference between traditional outtakes and what I think of as the more American style bloopers and the slow encroach of this latter, less funny style taking over. Outtakes Compilation of actors trying to say lines and corpsing. Inexplicably one of the most infectiously funny things you can watch. The inclusion of clapperboards showing how many takes they've done welcomed. AMAZING Bloopers Has some corpsing, but will also usually have a shitty "funny" soundtrack underneath it, as well as stupid pranks played on set, someone doing something self consciously wacky or even to camera interviews about how so bloody silly Steve Carrell was on set. SHITE. Happy Christmas, Dennis Norden. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted January 11 Paid Members Posted January 11 Playing Rhythm Kitchen on Mario Party Jamboree and I messed up the very last move in the final game to spoil a perfect run. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted January 11 Posted January 11 Been watching Londons Burning on on demand...got to the end of series 5 and the next available is series 11! No thanks it got shit in that time and there was barely any shouts by then! Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 11 Posted January 11 Did you at least get the episode where the window cleaner was impaled on railings after falling off his ladder? That was always the saddest episode our family watched. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted January 11 Posted January 11 Yep! Got as far as Colin and Zoe's wedding then skipped 6 series! Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 13 Paid Members Posted January 13 A tampax advert was just on and they must have said THE GUSH about half a dozen times. Between this a the bloke singing DIARRHOEA at me, could I just have a moment where I don’t feel sick please? Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 13 Paid Members Posted January 13 People using ‘chill’ rather than ‘chilled’ or ‘chilled out’. I don’t know when this started, but it makes me cringe every time I hear it, so whoever was patient zero for this one can go fuck themselves. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 13 Members Posted January 13 4 minutes ago, FLips said: A tampax advert was just on and they must have said THE GUSH about half a dozen times. Between this a the bloke singing DIARRHOEA at me, could I just have a moment where I don’t feel sick please? Yeah that's rank. Shout out to this Andrex advert though with a banging drum and bass track, that doesn't once mention nastiness. Quote
Paid Members Thunderplex Posted January 13 Paid Members Posted January 13 59 minutes ago, FLips said: A tampax advert was just on and they must have said THE GUSH about half a dozen times. Between this a the bloke singing DIARRHOEA at me, could I just have a moment where I don’t feel sick please? Diarrhoea man is the Head Teacher in the latest series of Mammoth. Proof that things can only get better. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 I'm off work tomorrow so my wife and dog who usually sleep heavily through the night have both decided to team up and have a restless night, right up until they were sure I was awake and not getting back to sleep and now they're both fast asleep snoring. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.