Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 11/28/2025 at 8:35 PM, Callum1993 said:

Every Christmas Sandwich/Wrap having  Cranberry Sauce on it. You can keep your sweet jam. Just give me the Turkey, Stuffing, Bacon. A bit of mayo if necessary but please no more Cranberry. 

Every Christmas sandwich having mayo on it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 11/28/2025 at 8:35 PM, Callum1993 said:

Every Christmas Sandwich/Wrap having  Cranberry Sauce on it. You can keep your sweet jam. Just give me the Turkey, Stuffing, Bacon. A bit of mayo if necessary but please no more Cranberry. 

Mayo is an all year round condiment, cranberry sauce only gets the festive period to shine.

Posted
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

"Your courier has one stop along the way."

My version of this: ordering two Amazon items yesterday at separate times (didn't realise I needed the second until later), both getting dispatched separately, with one being delivered, then me going to get changed, and then minutes later the delivery guy coming back with the second. Annoying for him and me as he doubtless had to drive off, then come back within minutes after another delivery.

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 hours ago, davertfnewman said:

My version of this: ordering two Amazon items yesterday at separate times (didn't realise I needed the second until later), both getting dispatched separately, with one being delivered, then me going to get changed, and then minutes later the delivery guy coming back with the second. Annoying for him and me as he doubtless had to drive off, then come back within minutes after another delivery.

Presumably though your delivery wasn't cold when it arrived?

  • Paid Members
Posted

Cooking instructions seem to be getting smaller on packaging. My eyesight is bad, but I’m sure it’s not getting that bad. I shouldn’t have to be taking a photo and zooming in or using a magnifying glass. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

apparently this is "proof of delivery" from DPD. 

No way of telling if that's even my parcel, but it's definitely not my fence.

0017_21163_129_3600_187_001_0_1.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted

That's more than a minor annoyance! We could probably have a whole thread about delivery nightmares. DPD seem to be really good round our way, I'm always delighted if I see that they're delivering a parcel.

  • Members
Posted

You honestly have to applaud that 'effort' don't you?

There is a new driver round our parts, and boy is he a hothead. I'm not one to usually open my door or nose outside but I genuinely thought a fight was happening outside my gaff last week so I opened the door.

This guy was absolutely raging screaming at the top of his voice "SCCCAAAANNNNN YOU FUCKING CCCCCUUUUUUUUUNT" over and over. He then, and I'm not exaggerating here, dropkicked a parcel at a neighbouring houses door and screamed "TWATTTTTT" at it as he did.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry* as on one hand that's not cool, but the gig economy is rubbish and he's clearly stressed out of his head. As he got back in the van I didn't want him to feel conscious and lit up a cigarette so he didn't think I was just out there for him, and asked him if he was OK and he very calmly replied "Very well thanks, yourself?" like nothing had happened.

 

*laughed obviously. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

DPD were shite for us last week. Sent us a text on Wednesday morning saying it would be delivered during such-and-such a one-hour window, with a named driver. It didn't show up.

Thursday, got another text in the exact same format - hour window, named driver. It didn't show up. Clicked the tracking link, which very usefully just repeated all the details in the text, and an admission that the driver was "slightly late". I called up the customer service line, and, thankfully, was only waiting about half an hour. To be fair, the rep was quite helpful - he said he'd put in a note for the drivers to prioritise our delivery because of the missed ones, but he also said to me to speak to Currys (the order was a computer) if it didn't get delivered this time, as a dispute raised by them would be more effective in getting a refund or some kind of remedy.

Got a text Friday morning. Exact same format as the previous two - but this time, there was no scheduled time slot. Even they didn't fucking trust their own scheduling.

I agree that the gig economy is absolute shite, and I do feel bad for the drivers - especially this time of year. But sending actual delivery info and then not delivering is not on; I was OK, as I can have my office anywhere, but a lot of people don't have the option to stay home waiting three days in a row. I'm sure most people would be fine waiting a bit longer than usual before getting definite information they can rely on.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

DPD are usually pretty good in my experience - their usual protocol is supposed to be that if you're not in to take delivery, that they take a photo of the parcel in the doorway. At my old flat, I was up three flights of stairs, so I'd usually try and meet drivers halfway, and DPD still always made sure to get a photo in the doorway as proof even when I met them to take delivery. So this was a surprise.

Their customer service is predictably pretty awful - a phone line that makes you manually enter your reference number before you're put through to a human, who then asks you for that same number anyway, or a terrible AI live chat that can't actually answer any questions or remember anything that's been said before the last message, and only ever tells you to contact the person you ordered from. However you contact them, they always start with "I CAN SEE THAT YOUR PARCEL WAS DELIVERED TODAY AT...", which is just a perfectly annoying way to respond to someone complaining about having not received the delivery. When the live chat said that it had been delivered, they had a screenshot of a map, but with no house numbers on it, and it looked like it had been "delivered" somewhere further up my road. I traipsed up there a bit but couldn't see anything that even looked like the fence in the photo.  

I eventually managed to get a call back from customer service after they spoke to the depot, who admitted that the proof of delivery doesn't add up - the tracking says it was received by someone (the name given is just my surname), but the photo is just a parcel being shoved over a fence with no identifying information for either the parcel or the delivery address. They tried to call the driver while I was on the line, but couldn't get through, so sent him a text and apparently informed his manager, and have assured me that they will reattempt delivery today. I have no idea how they're supposed to reattempt delivery if it's apparently already been delivered or left somewhere, fuck knows. Fingers crossed it ever shows up.

 

 

EDIT: absolutely fuck the gig economy, and both my partner and I have worked in delivery and "fulfilment" at Christmas, so I know how much it sucks to have to do this job. But like @Carbomb says, I'm lucky that I can be very flexible about where I work, but Tuesday is ordinarily my one definite day in the office, and I had to make arrangements to be home for this delivery which, if it had actually been delivered here, would have been resolved by now and I could probably still have made it to my first in-office meeting anyway. But instead I'm now waiting around indefinitely in the hope that they somehow manage to redeliver today as promised. And if it's not, I will probably have to swap days again, and so on and so on.

I can understand at other places I've lived - I have been in blocks of flats where there are two very similar addresses in the same estate, or in buildings that are named but there's no signage to actually tell you that, or places that are just hard to find on Google Maps or whatever. But this place is just a numbered residential property, and it could not be clearer where it is, it has a covered porch, and it's two flats in one building, so it's not like you have to go far to try and leave it with someone else if I couldn't take delivery. It's about as easy a place to deliver to as you can get.

Edited by BomberPat
  • Paid Members
Posted

People using the word ‘addicting’ rather than addictive. I know that it’s not grammatically incorrect or anything like that, and it is a real word. But I hate it, and if I were in charge I’d remove it from the dictionary. It winds me up to no end. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Had a DPD delivery last week and the drivers name was CURLY. I was hoping it was your man from the cobbles but it was a big friendly bald bloke from Eastern Europe somewhere. 

We live at 278A and it drives me fucking mental how many packages get left at my house for 276. They run a business and get lots of deliveries so it’s constant. The delivery drivers must see 278 on next doors gate and just assume we’re 276 despite the big sign that you have to walk past to get to the house clearly saying 278A. It’s got to the point now where as soon as I hear footsteps on the drive I bolt down the stairs and shout at them as they’re running away, then they get annoyed that they have to walk round to next door with it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

British-based publications/companies/etc doing 'Best of 2025' lists and including stuff that wasn't released in this county in 2025. 

BBC Culture's number 1 film of 2025 is Hamnet, which comes out here in January 2026. Gets my goat it does.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...