simonworden Posted November 17, 2025 Posted November 17, 2025 I know the answer is to just not look but I feel it does get thrown down my throat. Seems like there are hundreds of nobbers making mocking cooking videos now where they copy someone else's recipe that seems a bit mad. They do it with the same cuts, same sarcastic tone and then ultimately surprised when it works at the end. The premise doesn't annoy me but the fact so many people do the same thing in the same way just to collect ad revenue (or in most cases attempt to) annoys the hell out of me. I'm sure this is happening in other areas as well, but this happens to be one that the interweb things I enjoy (wrongly). It's like all podcast/ video things now have to use enormous marital aid like microphones with everyone talking in the same smug way, same lighting. I don't why I'm surprised that now we have all the tools for more people to express themselves creatively without huge cost/ skill barriers, but everyone just creates the absolute same thing. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted November 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 17, 2025 Not long ago I heard someone paid to speak on TV ask their interviewee “Why was you (arguing so much)” instead of “why were you.” Can we better vet these people, please? Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted November 17, 2025 Moderators Posted November 17, 2025 (edited) I basically think of that as dialect now I hear it so much. It's always Essex / Kent people who say it, even some people whom I know are reasonably intelligent. Edited November 17, 2025 by Chest Rockwell Quote
King Coconut Posted November 17, 2025 Posted November 17, 2025 (edited) It's south Wales dialect too. I loves yearing it when I goes home. Not on the fucking telly though, obviously. Edited November 17, 2025 by King Coconut Paul Bodin Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 17, 2025 I remember watching a quiz show, and the couple who made it to the final was Welsh - when offered a risky trade-off, the bloke turned to his wife and said "Have a go, is it?" Also liked that thing in Essex/Kent/Cockney where they'll say "Do what?" in response to something with grammar that doesn't fit at all, like "Is it OK if I'm a bit late?" Quote
davertfnewman Posted November 17, 2025 Posted November 17, 2025 3 hours ago, Carbomb said: I remember watching a quiz show, and the couple who made it to the final were Welsh - when offered a risky trade-off, the bloke turned to his wife and said "Have a go, is it?" Also liked that thing in Essex/Kent/Cockney where they'll say "Do what?" in response to something with grammar that doesn't fit at all, like "Is it OK if I'm a bit late?" Fixed that for you! You're absolutely right about that Welsh false finish, though. My family is predominantly from South Wales and got a few guilty of the unnecessary question suffix. "This weather is gorgeous." "It's beautiful, yeah?" "Yes, it is..." Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 17, 2025 3 minutes ago, davertfnewman said: Fixed that for you! Nope - a collective noun can take both singular and plural! But I appreciate the solicitude. Quote
davertfnewman Posted November 17, 2025 Posted November 17, 2025 I'm sure people have told me "Get out of here, ya Yank!" for less before! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted November 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 17, 2025 Had new broadband put in today. Got a text from Vodafone last night telling me "Your install is scheduled for between 8 and 1!" Since when is it not 'installation'? I don't normally care about little language things like this but this has really got on my tits for some reason. Broadband's great btw. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 17, 2025 4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Had new broadband put in today. Got a text from Vodafone last night telling me "Your install is scheduled for between 8 and 1!" Since when is it not 'installation'? I don't normally care about little language things like this but this has really got on my tits for some reason. Broadband's great btw. It seems to be a more modern linguistic trend, using a participle instead of an existing noun. "Invite" instead of "invitation" "select" instead of "selection" "disconnect/connect" instead of "disconnection/connection" I'm not sure what's behind it - perhaps it's just considered faster. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted November 18, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 18, 2025 12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: HadI don't normally care about little language things like this but this has really got on my tits for some reason. Ah, that’s how it starts. My new line manager is a total wally - for many reasons, but not only is she is a “should of” moron, but she’s one of those idiots that likes to promise she’ll “revert” instead of reply. That one is absolutely terrifying me, that it will become one of those cases where so many people use it wrongly, they’ll put it in the dictionary and it will become “correct.” Quote
Paid Members Slapnut Posted November 18, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 18, 2025 (edited) There’s a group of fellas who have started appearing on my social media algorithms who cosplay as the Welsh Trotters for local events and appearances. One of the things that annoys me is that, apart from dressing up as the characters, they don’t actually do anything Only Fools related whatsoever. You’d assume they’ll somehow mix Welsh culture with some of the famous lines or vernacular, but no, you’ve just got this chap dressed as Del Boy saying “What’s happening, it’s Del Boy here butt, and today I’m in Neath doing a food challenge” and that’ll be it. No lovely jubbly, cushty, plonker or anything like that, just a chap in a beige trench coat going “fucking hell, hot these wings are boy”. But that’s not even the thing that annoys me the most. The worst part about the entire thing is that the most common duo they trot out to these events isn’t Del Boy and Rodney, or Del Boy and Uncle Albert, or even Del Boy and Grandad. The most common duo they send to these events is Del Boy and Damien! Imagine booking an Only Fools and Horses imitation group to your event and not only do they chat to you as if it’s Dai in your local, but they’ve had the brass neck to send you a Damien! Edited November 18, 2025 by Slapnut Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 18, 2025 Members Posted November 18, 2025 21 hours ago, air_raid said: Not long ago I heard someone paid to speak on TV ask their interviewee “Why was you (arguing so much)” instead of “why were you.” Can we better vet these people, please? Absolutely nothing wrong with this. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted November 18, 2025 Paid Members Posted November 18, 2025 2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Absolutely nothing wrong with this. People sounding thick? I don’t lose sleep over it or anything, but it is a minor annoyance. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 18, 2025 Members Posted November 18, 2025 14 minutes ago, air_raid said: People sounding thick? I don’t lose sleep over it or anything, but it is a minor annoyance. It's not people sounding thick, it's just a way of speaking based on where you were bought up as Chest mentioned. I know plenty of people who say that or things like "Where was you?" etc and they're definitely not thick. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.