Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, davertfnewman said:

Makes you long for the strangely-understated Dexter Fletcher doing voiceovers for Maccies.

TIL.

Mine for today - why the hell have Colmans not got their cranberry sauce into the shops yet?? Or is it just my area?

  • Paid Members
Posted

cleaning up after a Christmas party.

We do one every year, and it's lovely having a load of mates around. I put together a Christmas playlist, make some mulled cider, and we have a lovely time. This year's was a bit bigger, as it doubled as a housewarming, and a few of us staying up to watch Cena's last match.

I'm already resigned that I'm going to spend most of the next morning doing the washing up, taking bins out, and other bits of cleaning. But fuck me, this year felt like the worst yet. I put coasters out in every conceivable place someone might have put a drink, and yet by the looks of things everyone collectively decided not to use a single one of them. Someone managed to somehow spill red wine on to the living room wall, so I'm going to have to repaint over that as the stain is absolutely not coming out. Everyone was asked to take their shoes off as they came in, yet multiple people as they were leaving put their muddy boots back on and then walked all over the flat to make sure they said goodbye to absolutely everyone, just traipsing dirt all over the place - luckily I'd already washed away the massive bit of fox shit from the footpath directly outside our flat before anyone arrived. Two ashtrays outside, yet still there was ash and fag ends all over the patio. Thank fuck it's only once a year.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Your post there stresses me out so much because I just would not enjoy that at all. I’m too much the other way to the point that nieces and nephews don’t come round much anymore, other than Xmas day (but that’s ok because I’m usually half cut by 2pm with the stress anyway)

My daughter is good as gold, looks after everything, calm, tidy and it’s because me and her Mum are like it I suppose. But other kids come here and they’re just mental. First time my nephew stayed over he broke a shed window and then when he left I found that he had taken some of the thermometers off the radiators? They never turned up so god knows what he did with them. 

My Mum’s house is a free for all, the kids have an amazing time and it’s really nice to see, but I just can’t be like it myself. I’m on tenterhooks whenever people are here, it’s horrible but I can’t help it. 

I just can’t imagine spilling red wine on the wall and just bailing, or walking round the house with muddy shoes. I really don’t understand people sometimes but maybe my standards are too high!

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, waters44 said:

But other kids come here and they’re just mental.

I find this to be a constant source of stress in my life. My eldest son is 3 and a half but he's very calm, collected, intelligent and when he plays he does so in a really creative and interesting way - creating all these intricate stories, games and genuinely funny scenarios. It's beautiful to watch really. But when another kid gets involved or is in the same place all they seem to do is scream like fucking banshees, smash everything up and run head first into walls. I feel bad for my son because he just looks at them with this expression of "what the fuck is wrong with you?" and I don't blame him.

On the subject of kids one of my constant minor annoyances is lazy parents. Anytime I go to the playground or a softplay or whatever half the parents just spend the whole time on their phones completely ignoring their kids. It's kind of heartbreaking. You see them desperate for their parents attention but they never get it. Once I was having loads of fun with my son and this other kid just followed us around for an entire hour desperate to join in while his dad sat on a bench with a coffee staring at his phone the whole time. The only time he got up and paid attention was when he told his son it was time to go! Just this weekend me and my son were playing in the sand pit while another girl played on her own looking completely bored and depressed while her Dad sat on the side of the sand pit looking at BBC news. It boggles my mind. Utter cunts.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted

We were looking through old family photos the other week and my neice, who is nearing 2 years old, tried to swipe the photograph like it was a phone. Depressing.

Posted
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

cleaning up after a Christmas party.

We do one every year, and it's lovely having a load of mates around. I put together a Christmas playlist, make some mulled cider, and we have a lovely time. This year's was a bit bigger, as it doubled as a housewarming, and a few of us staying up to watch Cena's last match.

I'm already resigned that I'm going to spend most of the next morning doing the washing up, taking bins out, and other bits of cleaning. But fuck me, this year felt like the worst yet. I put coasters out in every conceivable place someone might have put a drink, and yet by the looks of things everyone collectively decided not to use a single one of them. Someone managed to somehow spill red wine on to the living room wall, so I'm going to have to repaint over that as the stain is absolutely not coming out. Everyone was asked to take their shoes off as they came in, yet multiple people as they were leaving put their muddy boots back on and then walked all over the flat to make sure they said goodbye to absolutely everyone, just traipsing dirt all over the place - luckily I'd already washed away the massive bit of fox shit from the footpath directly outside our flat before anyone arrived. Two ashtrays outside, yet still there was ash and fag ends all over the patio. Thank fuck it's only once a year.

Take your shoes off for a party? I'm afraid I'm washing my hair that night...

  • Paid Members
Posted
31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I find this to be a constant source of stress in my life. My eldest son is 3 and a half but he's very calm, collected, intelligent and when he plays he does so in a really creative and interesting way - creating all these intricate stories, games and genuinely funny scenarios. It's beautiful to watch really. But when another kid gets involved or is in the same place all they seem to do is scream like fucking banshees, smash everything up and run head first into walls. I feel bad for my son because he just looks at them with this expression of "what the fuck is wrong with you?" and I don't blame him.

My daughter and the cousins are almost 10 now so we are through this stage thankfully, but this is exactly what we had to deal with a few years ago. One birthday my daughter got given the Happy Hippos game. She opened it straight away, took great pleasure in setting it up, started the game and within two minutes her cousin had broken it. 

It got to the point where we had to hide all of my daughters nice toys whenever people were coming over because she was starting to get stressed with it all too. It's tricky being this side of things because if you complain the other parent will say "They're just being kids", which I get, but then also maybe your kid shouldn't be smashing everything up

  • Paid Members
Posted

When I was a kid, I used to hide all my toys in my wardrobe and tie the door handles up with my dressing gown belt if some of my younger cousins were coming over. They were fucking feral. One of them lined up my subbuteo players once and walked over them. 

When he was old enough to come playing football with us, I enjoyed kicking lumps out of him.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Used to have a feral kid next door who would turn up in our back garden and sometimes wander into the house. His hands were always sticky and he was often fully nude, right up to the age of about 4-5. My mum had taken him home and had words with his parents multiple times, but the last straw came when he came round with a cup full of orange squash and poured it right into the cartridge slot of my Mega Drive. One of the angriest moments of my childhood by some distance. I’d have happily booted him down the stairs in that moment, but thankfully I opted to scream bloody murder at my mum to put a stop to his visits instead. 
 

As I got a bit older I ended up feeling sorry for him and his brother as his home life was terrible. The dad yelled and swore his head off any time either of them breathed in front of him and the mum seemingly completely ignored the whole family at all times.

On a lighter note, his mum had the nickname Big Bird in the neighbourhood, because she was very tall and liked to wear bright yellow dungarees. 

Ahh the 90s. 

Edited by JLM
Posted

Having memories of a cousin of mine who's about three years younger. While I was the kid who was trained to wait when you're in a shop and something's being bought for you, he was the one who was ripping it out of the packaging to the annoyance of everyone except his nan, including the one time where he ripped a toy car out right across the bar code, meaning the assistant had to send someone to go and get another one to work out what they were putting through the till, causing everyone a delay.

He came to my house in the nineties and wiped the progress off one of my games, which was at something like 95%, when I left him to play alone. When I confronted him he said "I pushed a button and it just happened". I think I promptly pushed the off button and sent him on his way downstairs to his mom.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Oh I have a great one of these too! Almost certainly told it on here before but it’s been a while. 
 

My younger cousin growing up used to get very fixated on video games. Like a bit more than the average gamer kid. If he was really into a game it was hard to reach him and it would take multiple attempts to get a response, sometimes requiring you to literally stand in front of the screen to make him acknowledge you.  His dad grew up in a village in Mauritius and did not understand or trust the video games. These two things did not gel well together and there was much conflict between the two as a result.  
 

One game my cousin got really into was Majora’s Mask. He’d finished Ocarina of time and was very very excited to play the follow up. Perhaps Majora’s Mask’s most famous/infamous section is The Great Bay Temple. Basically in this level there is a central hub and you have the ability to change the flow of water through the level, which makes different parts of it accessible or inaccessible. The first play through of this is often very frustrating. There is trial and error, there is backtracking, there are spells where you get lost and completely forget how the whole thing connects together, or what exactly has changed after your most recent action. Pre-YouTube tutorial it was a real hair puller for many a young gamer. 
 

So one Saturday afternoon my cousin is tackling the great bay temple. He has been at it for a long time. Pretty much since he woke up at the crack of dawn until early afternoon. I was visiting on a long summer holidays stay. Myself and his older brother were playing fighting games on the Saturn in the same room, occasionally asking him how it was going and getting no response.
 

My uncle had popped his head into the gaming room half a dozen times, telling my cousin to turn the game off and play outside. He had not been acknowledged on any of these attempts. Half of the problem was my cousin being locked in, the other was that my uncle did not command authority. He would try to gradually increase the gravity of his commands to turn off the game, but it was well known that he would never do anything more than keep asking until he gave up. Imagine our surprise then, when five hours into my cousin’s Great Bay Quest, my uncle decided today was the day to take a stand. He stormed into the room and unplugged the N64 at the wall, annihilating his progress in one fell swoop. 
 

My cousin went absolutely apeshit. He went outside but he did not play cricket in the sunshine. He stormed off to god knows where and was not seen for several hours. Upon his return, he did not say a word to anyone until he eventually went to bed, still seething. 
 

Sunday morning. Another beautiful day in Hyrule. The rage has subsided, it is time for Great Bay round 2. Same routine. Rise at dawn, temple until early afternoon. At about 12:30ish it is my time to leave. I always travelled to my cousins’ house for a long stay as they lived hundreds of miles away, and I always brought my entire gaming library with me. We always tended to have the consoles and games the others didn’t, so between us we had amazing coverage. So on the Sunday I’m in the gaming room rounding up my shit. Trying to figure out which controller belongs to who, finding discs still in consoles etc. My older cousin is doing a last minute rapid sweep of the room. He is in a hurry because my mum is impatiently waiting in the car. Without thinking, he unplugs my N64 controllers from slots 3 and 4 (correct!) and then WHIPS MAJORA’S MASK OUT OF THE CARTRIDGE SLOT! 
 

I have seldom seen a person so enraged before or since. My GOODNESS was he pissed. What made it worse is that my older cousin was in hysterics. He couldn’t believe what he’d done. He was staring at the bugged out screen with the cartridge still in his hand, unable to breathe from laughing. My younger cousin was hitting him, calling him a stupid fucking stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid etc etc etc. Utterly enraged. 
 

I left to go home, and was told that within an hour or  two he had calmed down, but still wasn’t speaking to anyone. My older cousin mistakenly thought it was over. Little did he know, that some ice cold revenge would be served the following morning.

 The following day, my cousin game down to the gaming room to find that his little brother had scorched the Earth. All Dreamcast VMUs wiped, N64 cart save slots gone, N64 memory card saves gone, GBA Pokemon teams released. There were no survivors. 

The Great Bay Temple was defeated soon after, but at greater cost than anyone could have imagined. 
 

 

Edited by JLM
Posted

On the topic of kids and other kids..
 

My daughter was in the soft play area there recently and there was a traveler child in there with them. Honestly he looked at least 12, my daughter is 3.

He was shadow boxing in there at one stage !!

  • Members
Posted

Out in the smoking area today, 1 lad was showing 2 other lads multiple videos with full volume. It was excruciating as this went on for the duration of me smoking two cigarettes, so not a quick clip.

I felt sad for myself but also sad for the 2 lads who had to feign interest and fake laugh, as there is absolutely not many things worse than someone showing you a video and watching for your reaction. 

"It's this bit...no wait wait, its this bit...look...haha...oh no wait, this is the best bit"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...