Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 It's not one extreme or the other. There are perfectly good reasons for wanting cash to still be in circulation, and to want a hybrid system of cash and electronic. For me, the two main ones are: 1. For people in domestic abuse situations, a big part of why they're trapped is because the abusive partner is controlling the finances, and cash becomes the only financial means via which they can escape. 2. A lot of homeless people don't have bank accounts, let alone electronic payment systems. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 (edited) 13 minutes ago, Carbomb said: 2. A lot of homeless people don't have bank accounts, let alone electronic payment systems. I thought about this recently. Me and my wife saw a homeless guy in town and he was politely asking people if they had any change. Was absolutely freezing that day and people were mostly just walking straight past him. We wanted to give him something but, like most people these days, we hardly ever carry cash anymore. We ended up just buying him some food but I’d never stopped to really think about it before just how much harder the growth of contactless payments will have made things for people in that position. Barely anyone seems to have cash on them these days. Edited January 26 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 (edited) 3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said: I thought about this recently. Me and my wife saw a homeless guy in town and he was politely asking people if they had any change. Was absolutely freezing that day and people were mostly just walking straight past him. We wanted to give him something but, like most people these days, we hardly ever carry cash anymore. We ended up just buying him some food but I’d never stopped to really think about it before just how much harder the growth of contactless payments will have made things for people in that position. Barely anyone seems to have cash on them these days. I made a point for a while of carrying a small stash of fivers and pound coins, but, business being the way it's been the past couple of years, can't afford it right now. Fingers crossed things pick up this year. Edited January 26 by Carbomb Don Hutchison Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 As usual I’d just like to shout out for the money launderers. When the main high street of your impoverished little ward has three barbers for every five units and they all get enough business to keep trading year in, year out… Theres probably more to that car wash than you think too. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 I'm a 'cash is king' bore unfortunately, stemming from when a solicitor looked through my bank statement and could barely contain his look of disgust upon seeing how many fast-food transactions were on there. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said: Even drug dealers are accepting card payments these days. I wouldn't know anything about that. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted January 26 Posted January 26 42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: I hate the self service machines in M&S, they don't scan anything unless you hold each item in a specific way and it takes ages. Conversely, the ones in Aldi will scan your item from several miles away. Aldi barcodes generally taking up the bottom quarter of the packaging on stuff like cereals and bog rolls, sometimes wrapping round corners, saves me no end of time not having to faff about finding it like I have to do usually. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 14 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: I'm a 'cash is king' bore unfortunately, stemming from when a solicitor looked through my bank statement and could barely contain his look of disgust upon seeing how many fast-food transactions were on there. Ah, fond memories of a hungover Sunday morning in my 20s, placing a Dominos order the moment they opened because I thought I was going to die. I decided I needed a fat bastard “pizza, sides and Coke” £19.99 deal. My flatmate got in on the deal too and when we offered it to our friend who’d slept on the sofa, he wanted the same. Tried to place the order and at first attempt it didn’t go through, followed moments later by a fraud alert phone call from my then-provider, Nationwide Credit Card, checking the “suspicious activity” was really me. If they’d checked my transaction history, I doubt they’d have considered £60 of pizza on a Sunday morning that suspicious at all, and I told them so. Needless to say, I had the last laugh. Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 26 Posted January 26 My self service gripe is when the packing platform doesn't register the weight of a bag of crisps or something with air in the package, prompting you to have to wait for the assistant to come and run their card over it to reset it. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 19 hours ago, davertfnewman said: My self service gripe is when the packing platform doesn't register the weight of a bag of crisps or something with air in the package, prompting you to have to wait for the assistant to come and run their card over it to reset it. This is why I love scan & go. Weight never comes into it. Put your bags wherever, zap the barcode, pay, and fuck off home without fuss. * M&S is better still. Scan and pay with the app and you just walk out without going to a till of any kind. * About 70% of the time. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 (edited) I don't trust myself with the scan and go. I know I'll accidently miss scanning a bag of Nik Naks or put through some maris pipers as baking potatoes and the next thing I know I'm doing a ten stretch in Wormwood Scrubs. Edited January 27 by gmoney Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 (edited) On 1/27/2026 at 12:40 PM, gmoney said: I don't trust myself with the scan and go. I know I'll accidently miss scanning a bag of Nik Naks or put through some maris pipers as baking potatoes and the next thing I know I'm doing a ten stretch in Wormwood Scrubs. I felt like this with the old scan and shop, ever since I accidentally shoplifted a single loose onion from Stretford Tesco. I’m sure they’ll catch up to me one day, I’ve only moved four times since. Edited January 28 by air_raid Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 22 minutes ago, gmoney said: I don't trust myself with the scan and go. I know I'll accidently miss scanning a bag of Nik Naks or put through some maris pipers as baking potatoes and the next thing I know I'm doing a ten stretch in Wormwood Scrubs. I did this the other day. Just idly putting fish cakes and buttermilk chicken in my bag without scanning them. They're not made for the terminally absent-minded. Quote
deathrey Posted January 27 Posted January 27 I actually love that scan and go gives you a running total of your shopping too, makes me a little more discerning about what I pick up. My maths is not the best and my mental arithmetic is almost always wrong when I've tried to keep track whilst doing shopping the old fashioned way. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 27 Members Posted January 27 3 hours ago, gmoney said: I don't trust myself with the scan and go. I know I'll accidently miss scanning a bag of Nik Naks or put through some maris pipers as baking potatoes and the next thing I know I'm doing a ten stretch in Wormwood Scrubs. A fair sentence for the Nice and Spicy. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.