deathrey Posted January 31 Posted January 31 (edited) I'm in. It's literally just me and the optometrist (and another guys who's consult I'm trying not to listen to) inside the clinic. Lenses are in (and comfortable) now I just have to wait around for a bit to make sure they stay put. The mother comment was more in reference to milking it when I get home and taking to the sofa for the afternoon. I could be at deaths door and my kids would be jumping on me and my husband asking me where the kettle and cups are so he can make me a cup of tea, whilst suggesting it might be easier for me to do it myself. (that last comment was sarcasm but you get my point) Edited January 31 by deathrey Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 31 Members Posted January 31 1 hour ago, waters44 said: No need to worry about work. A trip to the Golden Arches on the way, I dunno mate, the eye specialist being very very close to you and saying "is it better with lens one...*pauses for 30 years*...or lens two" and getting a big whiff of McMuffin seems a bit rum for them to have to deal with. Save it for the drive home innit? Quote
deathrey Posted January 31 Posted January 31 And I'm free!! For all my moaning that was actually a very good appointment. The optom that was there was the head of the clinic because in her words 'no one else will work Saturdays'. The condition I have is genetic so she spent a while talking through what signs to look out for in my kids and explaining that new treatments mean that if we catch it quickly, it can be completely treated and stopped in it's tracks with modern treatments which I had no idea about. She was also literally the only person there so no admin staff were available and I couldn't pay for my lenses so she said just take them and someone will call me in a few weeks from finance to pay. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 31 Members Posted January 31 Glad it went well @deathrey are they permanent lenses then? I wear dailies which are a massive pain in the arse, but i hate wearing my glasses as well. Anyway, hope you get a Saturday treat, no matter how small. Chippy tea should do it Quote
deathrey Posted January 31 Posted January 31 (edited) I have gas permeable lenses which are literally a small hard disc of plastic and they can last years if your prescription doesn't change. I had my last pair for 5 years. I have soft lenses which are monthly ones that I wear under the gas permeable for comfort reasons. I get the monthly ones for free as they have no prescription to them and pay £60 per lense for the gas ones. I tend to wear glasses day to day because two lenses per eye is a faff but my vision is so much better in lenses - and these new ones are a lot more comfortable and were a doddle to get in this morning as they've changed the fit a little so I might wear them a bit more regularly. Because of the improved vision with lenses, I've put them on this morning and thought a) I look fucking tired and b) I've got a lot more grey hair than I realised. Edited January 31 by deathrey Quote
Rossman Posted January 31 Posted January 31 Tradespeople. Particularly plumbers in this regard. It's like herding cats on crack. I'm trying to get someone in, to powerflush the central heating as the radiators only get hot at the top. I asked my usual plumber if he can do it. Said 3rd week in January. Great stuff. 1st week in January, I asked him for a date, so I could book it off work. Doesn't even read the message. 3rd week of January, I messaged him again. Read the message this time. Now it's, can do it in the next couple of weeks if that works for you! Replied to him ten minutes later, hasn't read the message... Whilst this was going on. I asked for a quote from British Gas. They came round, looked at the boiler, then said they will post the quote to me. I said can you email it to me. No, I don't have your email address. Well it's.....ah sorry, I've already selected the post option. It's going to be £830ish. Billion £ company and they're pricing in ishes. Messaged them on the chat, asking for the quote to be emailed. The engineer has the quote and we need to get it from him. But we've tried to call him & can't get hold of him. Two weeks later. No quote on email or through post. Complained to them, they're sending another engineer out on Tuesday to do the quote again! Found a local heating engineer in the next town who has actually quoted me. I've been told British Gas will be top end as it's a big company. This heating engineer has come back with "to do it properly" takes 2 days and best part of £1500. Looks like he's ripping all the walls down, replacing the copper piping and the radiators. I've had a go on Checkatrade also. Put all the details in. An engineer 2 hours away in Essex, came straight back with a quote of £600! 4 hour round trip and working for nought. Sounds too good to be true. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 31 Members Posted January 31 I had similar issues recently and needed a plumber to come round. Didn't give a time, vague references to the afternoon, and towards the end of the day. Told him I had to be out at a certain time to take my youngest to football, of course he turned up then. Texted me to tell me he'd been and I wasn't in. Said he'd come the next day. No times. Turned up while I was at the shop. I then saw him at Sainsburys, as its a small village, he said he'd come round later that week. I said can you call maybe the day before you come to make sure I'm in. He replied that he'd call on his way over. I give up. Quote
Paid Members stumobir Posted January 31 Paid Members Posted January 31 2 hours ago, Rossman said: Tradespeople. Particularly plumbers in this regard. It's like herding cats on crack. I'm trying to get someone in, to powerflush the central heating as the radiators only get hot at the top. I asked my usual plumber if he can do it. Said 3rd week in January. Great stuff. 1st week in January, I asked him for a date, so I could book it off work. Doesn't even read the message. 3rd week of January, I messaged him again. Read the message this time. Now it's, can do it in the next couple of weeks if that works for you! Replied to him ten minutes later, hasn't read the message... Whilst this was going on. I asked for a quote from British Gas. They came round, looked at the boiler, then said they will post the quote to me. I said can you email it to me. No, I don't have your email address. Well it's.....ah sorry, I've already selected the post option. It's going to be £830ish. Billion £ company and they're pricing in ishes. Messaged them on the chat, asking for the quote to be emailed. The engineer has the quote and we need to get it from him. But we've tried to call him & can't get hold of him. Two weeks later. No quote on email or through post. Complained to them, they're sending another engineer out on Tuesday to do the quote again! Found a local heating engineer in the next town who has actually quoted me. I've been told British Gas will be top end as it's a big company. This heating engineer has come back with "to do it properly" takes 2 days and best part of £1500. Looks like he's ripping all the walls down, replacing the copper piping and the radiators. I've had a go on Checkatrade also. Put all the details in. An engineer 2 hours away in Essex, came straight back with a quote of £600! 4 hour round trip and working for nought. Sounds too good to be true. Full sympathy, dude, nothing worse. How sure are you that it’s sludge build up?Is it all radiators or just a few? If you bleed the worst offending radiator and collect some of the drained water in a glass, the colour will be a good indicator of whether or not you need a flush. It’s unlikely to be clear but I’d only be concerned getting in to the shades of dehydrated piss. If you do bleed a radiator then it’s likely you’ll need to top up the pressure so only bleed if you’re confident in doing that. If the drained water looks alright then it’s likely your system just needs balanced (causes same problem - cold bottom) which is a very straight forward DIY job, if you’ve got a spare couple of hours. It’s just turning your heating on/off and adjusting the valves on your radiator until they’re all equal temperatures. What kind of system do you have - closed (combi boiler) or vented (you’ll have water tanks)? A full flush on closed system shouldn’t be taking anyone 2 days, assuming you don’t live in a manor house. £600 seems about right but avoid Checkatrade, MyBuilder etc at all costs. I’ve never known any decent tradesman to be on those sites. Asking for recommendations in local Facebook groups is a safer option. Worth noting that you’re getting winter quotes, you’ll be amazed at how available and affordable heating engineers are in the middle of Summer. Quote
Rossman Posted February 1 Posted February 1 11 hours ago, stumobir said: Full sympathy, dude, nothing worse. How sure are you that it’s sludge build up?Is it all radiators or just a few? If you bleed the worst offending radiator and collect some of the drained water in a glass, the colour will be a good indicator of whether or not you need a flush. It’s unlikely to be clear but I’d only be concerned getting in to the shades of dehydrated piss. If you do bleed a radiator then it’s likely you’ll need to top up the pressure so only bleed if you’re confident in doing that. If the drained water looks alright then it’s likely your system just needs balanced (causes same problem - cold bottom) which is a very straight forward DIY job, if you’ve got a spare couple of hours. It’s just turning your heating on/off and adjusting the valves on your radiator until they’re all equal temperatures. What kind of system do you have - closed (combi boiler) or vented (you’ll have water tanks)? A full flush on closed system shouldn’t be taking anyone 2 days, assuming you don’t live in a manor house. £600 seems about right but avoid Checkatrade, MyBuilder etc at all costs. I’ve never known any decent tradesman to be on those sites. Asking for recommendations in local Facebook groups is a safer option. Worth noting that you’re getting winter quotes, you’ll be amazed at how available and affordable heating engineers are in the middle of Summer. Pretty much all the radiators are hot at the top, cold at the bottom. I have replaced 2 myself and the water that came out was jet black. And it was like silt sitting at the bottom of the bowl I collected the water in. Those radiators are now lovely and toasty. Only ones that get fully hot. I did take a small radiator off and give it a blast through with the hose. That did a good job but having a chemical clean would be better. Its vented. We have a hot water tank for the hot water. And then gas boiler that does the central heating. And there's a small tank in the loft. I think it's a feed and expansion tank as it holds about 18 litres. The boiler was replaced before we moved into the house by the previous owner. Almost 5 years ago. They've gone the cheapest route and not had the system cleaned when the boiler was put in. It's pretty much one of those things we've put off and this year the wife's had enough and wants a warm house this winter. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted February 1 Paid Members Posted February 1 Two weeks before we move out of this house our sewer clogged up and spewed shit all over the back patio. £220 for a bloke to come out on a Saturday 7pm in the dark, four hours after we called them, ask to use my hosepipe and then unclog the sewer but leave all the shit and tissue around and tell us to put it in a binbag. We had Northumbrian Water out to do it twice before and they came out in an hour and cleaned the entire thing up with a massive jetspray but sadly after the second visit realised we weren’t part of the line and it was a private manhole, but that it was their line causing it due to eroded clasps. Well they never bothered coming out to fix it, so it happened again this time but now they also refused to come out and clean it because we’re not their problem. Great. Before you all start thinking we take massive dumps, the first time happened the week we moved in after the previous tenants clogged it and moved out, then back in April was twigs and a brick that somehow got into the manhole, then this time was the faulty piping catching it that never got fixed. Please don’t think we take massive sewer clogging dumps. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted February 1 Paid Members Posted February 1 9 minutes ago, FLips said: Please don’t think we take massive sewer clogging dumps. On this forum? The thought would never have crossed our mind. Spoiler (It would) Quote
deathrey Posted February 1 Posted February 1 21 minutes ago, FLips said: Please don’t think we take massive sewer clogging dumps. If this is the case then I'm not really sure that you belong here. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted February 2 Paid Members Posted February 2 I was supposed to be having new stair carpet and flooring for the landing and bathroom fitted today. The delivery turned up at 9am and the carpet fitter turned up just as they were leaving. The delivery comes from a central warehouse and the carpet fitter is a sub-contractor supplied by the local shop. You will note the word "Supposed" at the start of my post. The warehouse has sent no underlay. Double the amount of stair carpet, double the flooring for the landing and bathroom and no gripper rods or anything to fit the carpet with. So now the carpet fitter obviously can't fit anything, not even the upstairs flooring as the stuff to fit that wasn't sent either. So now I have to wait until the 25th of February to get the right stuff delivered and the carpet fitters to be free to do it. A great way to start the week. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted February 2 Paid Members Posted February 2 (edited) 8 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: I was supposed to be having new stair carpet and flooring for the landing and bathroom fitted today. The delivery turned up at 9am and the carpet fitter turned up just as they were leaving. The delivery comes from a central warehouse and the carpet fitter is a sub-contractor supplied by the local shop. You will note the word "Supposed" at the start of my post. The warehouse has sent no underlay. Double the amount of stair carpet, double the flooring for the landing and bathroom and no gripper rods or anything to fit the carpet with. So now the carpet fitter obviously can't fit anything, not even the upstairs flooring as the stuff to fit that wasn't sent either. So now I have to wait until the 25th of February to get the right stuff delivered and the carpet fitters to be free to do it. A great way to start the week. My mate was once meant to have lino fitted in his bathroom which he’d recently just completely done up. This was the finishing touch to a new bathroom suite. They turned up and without his knowledge fitted the bathroom with carpet, including tearing his new bath panel off to fit it underneath the bath. They arranged to come and remove it but never showed up, so him and his Dad tore it up, rolled it up and drove it to the store and chucked it through the front door and left. Edited February 2 by FLips Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted February 2 Paid Members Posted February 2 Restaurant staff who keep asking me how my meal is. They always catch me as I'm in the middle of a mouthful. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.