Chico Torres Posted January 18 Posted January 18 22 hours ago, air_raid said: So fucking what? Doesn’t mean I can’t find it minorly annoying. “If it not be for some purpose of import, give’t me again” Othello By William Shakespeare Circa 1604 Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 18 Paid Members Posted January 18 6 minutes ago, Chico Torres said: “If it not be for some purpose of import, give’t me again” Othello By William Shakespeare Circa 1604 I was going to bite my tongue about the only dictionary definitions as such being in reference to “archaic” but… well, there it is. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 18 Paid Members Posted January 18 The co-op. There's 3 different co-op stores by me, all named 'the co-op', each of which belonging to a different franchise so each one has it's own app, it's own membership card and it's own reward scheme. I've just spent 10 minutes in one of them wondering why my card wasn't scanning. Of course, I was using the green co-op card in a blue co-op shop. Trips me up everytime! Quote
King Coconut Posted January 19 Posted January 19 21 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: The co-op. There's 3 different co-op stores by me, all named 'the co-op', each of which belonging to a different franchise so each one has it's own app, it's own membership card and it's own reward scheme. I've just spent 10 minutes in one of them wondering why my card wasn't scanning. Of course, I was using the green co-op card in a blue co-op shop. Trips me up everytime! You really would think they'd be a bit more cooperative. Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 25 Posted January 25 This might be a case of "Am I the arsehole?" but I was in a shop yesterday that was one checkout desk with two tills/servers with both people serving a customer. So, I stood back and in the middle of the two people being served. The one on my right said "Can you stand on the right, please?", so I moved to stand behind the person being served by her. Then the woman at the till on my left went "No, stand on the right!", meaning I had to stand at a right angle by the desk beside the person being served. Even the guy getting served turned and gave me a little bit of a "What's her problem, hey?" look, so just did as they asked and when my server got into "Hey, you alright, sweetheart?" and all of that the most she got out of me was "Hello" and "Thanks". Could be me being the arsehole, but just struck me as rude. Quote
Dai Posted January 26 Posted January 26 A cash self service machine would need to be 'cashed out'/processed once, possibly multiple times a day, which when you multiply that by every self service machine in the store, and then multiply that by every store in the country, youre talking a huge amount of extra money spent on labour. Then youre encouraging more cash to be in the store, which means extra money spent sorting out all that cash to be collected at some point. Pretty easy to see why they dont want to have to do that for every single machine at the self serves, it would be a nightmare. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 26 Posted January 26 Do many people have cash these days anyway? I'd be surprised if there was even a need for every machine to have a cash option. Quote
Paid Members waters44 Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 You can’t upset the “Cash is King” dullards who don’t trust the banks but will put all their info on social media etc. My Uncle is one of them and he still celebrates the fact the card tills went down at the local M&S but he was still able to buy a fruit scone with cash. This was about 3 years ago Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Do many people have cash these days anyway? I'd be surprised if there was even a need for every machine to have a cash option. I always carry a bit around with me because I have been known to lose both my debit card and phone. Plus a few of the takeaways round here prefer cash and I don't mind helping them out. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said: Do many people have cash these days anyway? I'd be surprised if there was even a need for every machine to have a cash option. The credit deficient, criminal element, and an increasing number of tinfoil hats that want their “privacy” and don’t want to be “tracked by the system.” But they’ve nothing to hide, honest guv. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 Self service tills are shit for anything above 3 items. I hate them. They ALWAYs have a hissy fit when I reluctantly use one. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 21 minutes ago, BigJag said: Self service tills are shit for anything above 3 items. I hate them. They ALWAYs have a hissy fit when I reluctantly use one. In Tesco it’s the opposite. Staff tell me if you have fewer than 5 items you’ll ALWAYS be chosen for a basket check. I love scan and shop except when chosen for said check, mainly because Mrs raid packs our bags into works of art to maximise space efficiency, Tetris style, and it’s not always quick or easy to rebuild once the clod has unpacked. But it’s often my sausage fingers to blame, as adding X number of the same product to your basket then removing some but not all of that product is also frequently a trigger for a check. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 (edited) I think it's simple really. Big chains like supermarkets, pay by card. Independent shops pay by cash. I don't know how much card processing fees are but I'm sure the Independent shops will be paying more so I always pay cash. Edited January 26 by Lion_of_the_Midlands Keith Stevens. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted January 26 Posted January 26 1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: I think it's simple really. Big chains like supermarkets, pay by card. Independent shops pay by cash. I don't know how much card processing fees are but I'm sure the Independent shops will be paying more so I always pay cash. The fees to process card payments used to be a lot more than the fee to pay in cash, but these days they’re basically the same so once you’ve spent your time cashing up and counting it, you’re not really any better off. The only real benefit for shops to be cash only these days is to make it easier to fiddle the books. Even drug dealers are accepting card payments these days. I got a new bank card the other week so dug out my wallet which I haven’t used for well over a year and in it was a £20 note I got given for my birthday during lockdown. I never even think about paying with cash anymore. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 I hate the self service machines in M&S, they don't scan anything unless you hold each item in a specific way and it takes ages. Conversely, the ones in Aldi will scan your item from several miles away. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.