UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I'm trying to find a match I remember reading about in a mate's copy of WCW Magazine as a kid. Here's what I remember (at least some must be misremembered):

• there was a LOT of blood in the photos
  • they fought at the WCW.com table, used keyboard or laptop as a weapon
  • I'm sure it was for the title of WCW Commissioner
  • Ric Flair or Terry Funk was probably in it 
  • it would have been late 90s/early 00s
  • it was not the Terry Funk/Kevin Nash Souled Out match

Anyone have any guesses? I can't find any PPV match that fits. Would a TV match have had a 2 page write-up?

According to Wiki, Terry Funk was Commissioner in 2000, and he wasn't in WCW in the late 90s, which will narrow it down some if it's him.

• Moderators

Souled Out was pretty early in January that year, and he was Commissioner for at least a week or two from my memory, so towards the very very arse end of 1999 is possible. Doubtful though. 

A quick check of Cawthons site would help but I can't be arsed.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I'm trying to find a match I remember reading about in a mate's copy of WCW Magazine as a kid. Here's what I remember (at least some must be misremembered):

• there was a LOT of blood in the photos
  • they fought at the WCW.com table, used keyboard or laptop as a weapon
  • I'm sure it was for the title of WCW Commissioner
  • Ric Flair or Terry Funk was probably in it 
  • it would have been late 90s/early 00s
  • it was not the Terry Funk/Kevin Nash Souled Out match

Anyone have any guesses? I can't find any PPV match that fits. Would a TV match have had a 2 page write-up?

If it's possible it was for the WCW Presidency, that might widen the field a bit, as that was Flair's thing for a while. Main bloody one I can think of was with Hogan in a steel cage, but it's Flair - there's bound to have been more.

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely helps me narrow it down. 

I'm thinking it being for the commissionership must be a red herring. 

I'm also wondering if it might have been David Flair in the match, not Ric. I definitely remember bleached blonde hair but I don't know if David was a mark for the blade in WCW like his old man. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely helps me narrow it down. 

I'm thinking it being for the commissionership must be a red herring. 

I'm also wondering if it might have been David Flair in the match, not Ric. I definitely remember bleached blonde hair but I don't know if David was a mark for the blade in WCW like his old man. 

David Flair did a 'First Blood DNA' match with Buff Bagwell at Halloween Havoc 2000. It was unusual for WCW magazine to have blood in it before that (as blood wasn't that common in WCW in the late 90s). It was around the storyline where Stacy Keibler was 'pregnant', and they were fighting over who the father was.

I went down a rabbit hole with this last night, and looked at the scans @Uncle Zeb linked to, but couldn't find anything useful. They only had a few magazines from that time period.

download (8).jpg

Thanks @Uncle Zeband @Chris BI've found it! Turns out memory is a funny thing! 

5WrivIk_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

HdzhcmX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

So, I was getting 2 matches mixed together, only being a Channel 4 WWF fan at the time. 

There was a page later that must have been the Flair connection misremembering. 

9qe20U5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Edit: so I was completely wrong and it WAS the Flair/Nash match (partly) 

Edited by Ro_y Disco

• Paid Members

It was named for Karl Gotch, even though he was Belgian, not German, and was probably used by Lou Thesz before him, if you can follow that.

Gotch was nicknamed "The Belgian Lion", which is likely why the NJPW logo is a lion in Belgian flag colours, in tribute to him as one of Inoki's mentors.

• Paid Members

I do remember in 2000 there was a texas death match between Flair & Funk? I think there was a match between Funk & Dustin as well while he was doing his American Nightmare gimmick. I have recollections of it being on one of the 5 PPVs I got in a box set of the first 5 WCW events of 2000.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I do remember in 2000 there was a texas death match between Flair & Funk?

Superbrawl 2000

3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think there was a match between Funk & Dustin as well while he was doing his American Nightmare gimmick

Uncensored 2000, bullrope match. 

• Paid Members

Nash had no right grappling with Terry Funk in 2000. What a ridiculous match.

Whatever happened to Mike Sanders? I thought the guy had potential.

ADDED: I'd love to know how many actual title defenses Lex Luger had in those 229 days.

Edited by bAzTNM#1