Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 23 Paid Members Posted March 23 You have to watch Breaking Bad first otherwise the finale of Better Call Saul will make very little sense whatsoever. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted March 23 Paid Members Posted March 23 Thing is, Better Call Saul had Breaking Bad to build off and from, as well as having people involved who had learned from years of making Breaking Bad. I think it's the better show overall, but not because Breaking Bad is a poor show. Because of that, I'd suggest watching Breaking Bad first. Otherwise, it might seem like a step down afterwards, whereas this way, you might be more likely to enjoy both as they are. In a similar way, if someone was looking to get into Trek, I'd suggest starting with TNG then moving onto DS9*, rather than going the other way round. *then stopping. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 23 Posted March 23 (edited) (Spoilers are for both shows) Arguably BB spoils BCS too. I think there's plenty stuff in Saul that might play better if you don't know who's going to live or die based on BB. I even got a bit into wondering if you could make a supercut of the two shows. I genuinely think there might even be a (slightly) better story in letting the whole world build front of you as.. Spoiler BCS really helps nail the theme that Walt is this chaotic entity that just keeps fucking everything up until he finally introduces an even more chaotic entity (Evil Nazis!) that fucks everything even more up. I think if you watched BCS first it sort of changes the gravitation pull of the whole story to the drug buisness and Albuquerque in a way that Walt is still a main player but not the main character, kind of like Marlo in the Wire I think you could watch BCS first as long as the moment you see Bryan Cranston on screen you go and watch all of Breaking Bad as Spoiler The show, somewhat thankfully, glosses over the details Saul's own Breaking Bad after Kim leaves. BCS explains exactly why it happens and BB shows you in depth who he became but essentially once it cuts forward to him in bed with a prostitute you really need to have seen all of BB for the rest of the story to pay off Although thinking about it one of the little things that adds so much to Better Call Saul is the visual language established by Breaking Bad. In a way other shows might make allusion to say Greek Mythology or slightly pretentious things to add emphasis to the mode/tone/idea of a scene Better Call Saul uses Breaking Bad for visual metaphors and similes (probably in the sound/music too but I never notice that as much) Spoiler My favourite was the garden gnome with a cracked face exactly like how Gus dies. Definitely remember a bunch of stuff with box cutters too Edited March 23 by organizedkaos Garbage - I Think I'm Crystalized (The Crystal Method Extended Edit) Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 26 Paid Members Posted March 26 (edited) HBO Max launched today. Good stuff on there of course, but it's missing a fair bit of stuff. Deadwood (the series, the movie is there), Oz, Dream On, tonnes of Adult Swim and most importantly to me, the TV movie The Park Is Mine are all absent. Probably tied up with rights and in some cases lack of interest, but it's a shame not to have all their shit on there. EDIT: No G String Divas. Edited March 26 by gmoney Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted March 26 Posted March 26 Yeah I’ve signed up to it despite the lack of Oz. That’s still on Paramount+ and I’d imagine it’ll migrate over once the rights are up. Decent & extensive selection for a launch day though Quote
Mr_Danger Posted March 26 Posted March 26 I’m currently binging through The Pitt. X rated ER meets 24 and I’m already hooked three episodes in. Makes me realise how much I loved and miss ER. Watched a couple of episodes from the first series of Paradise. I really liked This Is Us but gave up on it as the time jumps got quite annoying and the inevitable heartbreaking ending was going to kill me off. This is kind of the same without the sadness but there’s not 100 episodes to sit through so I’ll definitely stick with it. Quote
FTR2020 Posted March 27 Posted March 27 HBO Max also has the brilliant comedies Eastbound & Down, Vice Principals and The Righteous Gemstones. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 27 Posted March 27 And of course The Leftovers, which I will always champion as one of the best things ever and far too underrated still. Quote
Dai Posted March 27 Posted March 27 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hbo-max-4k-premium-1-year-subscription-via-android-device-vpn-see-op-4851943 If you have an Android device/Monzo card, you can fairly easily get the 4k premium version for under 4 quid a month using the above. LOL - Last One Laughing is back too. Everyone in my work thinks this is hilarious. I think its super average, with very few laughs. Am I the exception regarding this? Theres a bunch of great and likeable comedians on it, but it just ends up with pretty dull improv. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 27 Paid Members Posted March 27 2 minutes ago, Dai said: LOL - Last One Laughing is back too. Everyone in my work thinks this is hilarious. I think its super average, with very few laughs. Am I the exception regarding this? Theres a bunch of great and likeable comedians on it, but it just ends up with pretty dull improv. There is no amount of Bob Mortimer I wouldn't watch. The return of Graham Lister was unexpected, much like the lard and where it came from. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 27 Paid Members Posted March 27 13 minutes ago, Dai said: LOL - Last One Laughing is back too. Everyone in my work thinks this is hilarious. I think its super average, with very few laughs. Am I the exception regarding this? Theres a bunch of great and likeable comedians on it, but it just ends up with pretty dull improv. Yeah, I find it to be 10% funny and 90% tiresome. Plus having Peter Thiel's ventriloquist dummy hosting it is a massive turn-off. The Richard Madeley/Sam Campbell interview was probably the highpoint but I've found this season to be shite. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 27 Members Posted March 27 11 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: Peter Thiel How is this pronounced as it very much sounds like paedophile. Is that the gag? Quote
Merzbow Posted March 27 Posted March 27 17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: How is this pronounced as it very much sounds like paedophile. Is that the gag? Teal. Unfortunately. He's still definitely a nonce though. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted March 27 Paid Members Posted March 27 David Mitchell has been great on it. His joker was so unexpected. I would’ve lost it on that. Bobs equally as great. It’s nowhere near as good as last years. But there’s been some genuinely hilarious moments. The worst is the camera pointlessly going back to Jimmy Carr and Roisin Conaty laughing. Roisin is utterly pointless on there too. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted March 27 Posted March 27 I’ll just wait till it’s over and watch the Bob Mortimer compilation clips like I did last year. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.