Mr_Danger Posted March 3 Posted March 3 8 hours ago, LaGoosh said: From Few episodes in to this. It's a bit shit but easy enough to watch. There looks to be a bunch of people from Lost working on it as producers/writers/directors and you can definitely feel the Lost influence. The premise is fun but it's all let down a bit by an incredibly uninspiring and boring cast of generic forgettable network TV actors - I can't help but feel if they got some proper actors on it it would be much more engaging. But I'm intrigued enough by the mysteries that I'll crack on with it for now. Pretty much how I feel about it, especially the actors although they’re not given a great deal to work with. If they had an Olyphant or someone instead of shit Bradley Cooper it’d be a better watch. Feels like the perfect three season story show. I’ll still be hanging in around season 9. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted March 4 Paid Members Posted March 4 I actually got really annoyed because I decided to watch it after Season 3 aired hearing somehow that it had finished. Pushed through to the finale to see how they wrapped up everything they had going on only for it to end like that. Convinced myself it must have been cancelled until someone heard me complaining about it and told me there's a Season 4 coming this year ffs. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 7 Paid Members Posted March 7 Just watched the first episode of DTF St Louis with Jason Bateman, David Harbour, Linda Cardinelli and the always great Richard Jenkins. The trailer had me thinking it was going to be a straightforward sex comedy, but it isn't so far. Much more off kilter and interesting than I was expecting, Bateman is really unsettling in this, best performance I've seen him give since Arrested Development, the good ones. Excited to see the rest. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted March 7 Posted March 7 Yeah, not sure a sordid sex mystery was what David Harbour’s career needed at this moment in time but it’s definitely one I’ll stick with. Funnily enough I’ve been rewatching Arrested Development and I think it’s the best thing any of them will ever do. Search Party, Transparent, Ozarks, Scott Pilgrim and Alvin and The Chipmunks might be bodies of work thy can all be proud of but those things will never have Gob Bluth and his racial divide breaking muppet. Is there a link between Arrested Development and The Simpsons? As well as the show featuring a few Simpsons alumni the approach to joke writing is very similar. The first two series have an impressive hit rate of gags. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 7 Members Posted March 7 1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said: Funnily enough I’ve been rewatching Arrested Development and I think it’s the best thing any of them will ever do Bang on. Bateman in particular is just so good. There's a bit on the Always Sunny pod where Glenn Howerton says he inadvertently ripped him off in "Macs Banging The Waitress" as he drops into that very low energy, nonchalant way that Bateman does so well, and then says just how tough that is to do. To be the straight man in a comedy and do it so well. Incredible performance. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 7 Moderators Posted March 7 1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said: Funnily enough I’ve been rewatching Arrested Development and I think it’s the best thing any of them will ever do. Search Party, Transparent, Ozarks, Scott Pilgrim and Alvin and The Chipmunks might be bodies of work thy can all be proud of but those things will never have Gob Bluth and his racial divide breaking muppet. What do we think are the realistic arguments against this? Larry Sanders or Veep, for TV. Superbad, maybe.. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 7 Members Posted March 7 13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: What do we think are the realistic arguments against this? Larry Sanders or Veep, for TV. Superbad, maybe.. Well, I've just remembered that Gob and Buster (hey brothers) pop up in The Sopranos so that'd be the big outlier. But obviously it's brief. For Louis-Dreyfuss it's clearly Seinfeld. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 7 Paid Members Posted March 7 She's a guest star really. I think the first four series of Archer are exceptional, and Jessica Walter is outstanding in it, but it still isn't as good as prime AD. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 7 Moderators Posted March 7 Yeah I wouldn't really count JLD for Arrested. Nor Charlize Theron, Martin Short etc. We're talking main cast! Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted March 8 Paid Members Posted March 8 Finally got round to the new Muppets special on Disney+. Outside of the characters sounding "off" as time has gone on and actors have changed, its a really nice, wholesome watch that hopefully introduces even more of a new audience to the Muppets, using Sabrina Carpenter as the guest as well is a stroke of genius with her Disney connection and global fame. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 9 Paid Members Posted March 9 (edited) Picked up the boxset of The Wire for £15 last week. Just started the second season and the dropoff in quality of the theme song is harsh. The show itself is too early to make a judgement on but it’s not gripping me as much as I’d hoped. Edited March 9 by FLips Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 9 Paid Members Posted March 9 The Wire is a show I really enjoyed but didn't fall in love with till season 4. On rewatch I enjoyed it even more to the point that I love all the seasons. Season 2 in particular is one that people weren't high on first time round but on rewatch I think it may be one of the best single seasons of TV ever. I think I've rewatched the whole thing at least eight times front to back. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 9 Paid Members Posted March 9 Yeah I think it's quite common for Series 2 to bump people initially. I felt like I had to power through it a bit the first time, but it was at one point my favourite series. Ooooh, starting to feel a rewatch coming on, it's been about 5 years since I last watched it. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 9 Paid Members Posted March 9 not having the Tom Waits slander! Though the Blind Boys Of Alabama cover from series one is brilliant. Series 2 of The Wire was a slog for me at the time, because I kept watching it with one eye on when it was going to get back to the characters I loved from the previous series, rather than - I felt - wasting time with this whole new world, and only sometimes dipping back into the characters I'd got to know. I think everyone goes through that and then, when they've seen the show in its entirety and understand what they were doing with each series, generally reflect on 2 being one of, if not the best, of the whole thing. Personally I lean towards 3 - it's when everything started to come into focus, and you can see the bigger picture, and how this isn't just a show about drug runners and cops but about how every facet of Baltimore life is tied up in this corrupt system; at times, it feels like revisiting series one with renewed focus. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 9 Members Posted March 9 Rooster New Steve Carell show starts off with the best New Order song, so it is already an 8/10 within 2 seconds. He plays an author who gives a talk at the University his daughter (the gorgeous Charley Clive) works at, who has just broken up with her husband. It's a lovely first episode, great soundtrack, John C McGinley is in it, what more could you want? Very promising start, and really excited to see where it goes. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.