Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 DTF St Louis When I saw this on Now TV I assumed it was some awful reality show. A truly terrible title for a show. However it's actually a really fun show with a unique visual style, great weird and dark humour, great performances and an intriguing story. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted March 10 Posted March 10 49 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: DTF St Louis When I saw this on Now TV I assumed it was some awful reality show. A truly terrible title for a show. However it's actually a really fun show with a unique visual style, great weird and dark humour, great performances and an intriguing story. I was particularly interested in seeing Velma making people’s dream come true. The show has such a strange style, like it’s almost what a Nathan Fielder adaptation of a True Crime podcast would look like, just not quite as strange. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 10 Paid Members Posted March 10 31 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: I was particularly interested in seeing Velma making people’s dream come true. The show has such a strange style, like it’s almost what a Nathan Fielder adaptation of a True Crime podcast would look like, just not quite as strange. I could watch Richard Jenkins bumble around this investigation for 5 series. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 10 Posted March 10 38 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: The show has such a strange style, like it’s almost what a Nathan Fielder adaptation of a True Crime podcast would look like, just not quite as strange. I've not watched DTFSL yet but the guy who created it also did another show called Patriot which also had a very odd style. Sort of weary wes anderson john le carre (but not overly whimsical?). Seems to like to take fairly well known tropey genre stuff and inject it with a tone that shouldn't quite work (but certainly did with Patriot and based on the new show reviews here too!) Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 11 Paid Members Posted March 11 Just finished Season 2 of The Wire. Frank Sobotka is such a tragic figure. I had no time for his idiot son and nephew though. In a way I enjoyed this season more than the first. It had a better overarching story but my word there are some real dickheads in this isn’t there? Loved seeing Valcheck eat a punch. Brother Mouzone is ace. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 Season 3 of The Wire was fine. There was only so long you could drag the Barksdale stuff out for I suppose but the show is less interesting without it. I’m on Ep7 of Season 4 and it’s been a slog. Half the cast from Seasons 1-3 are barely to be seen, the main cast are now all kids and Carcetti. I know it’s subjective but my expectations of the show were so much higher. It doesn’t live up to the “best show ever made” moniker it gets, at least for me. Way too many episodes of sod all happening. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 First two seasons are great. I do feel it goes down in 3 and 4, but still has its moments. I found the final season to be a real slog. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted March 17 Posted March 17 I’m firmly in the “season 4 is the best season” camp. I like season 5 a lot more than most people do. I enjoyed McNulty going a bit mad. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 I enjoyed season 5 as well, though I understand the criticisms of it being a bit less grounded than what came before it. I think part of why it's so lauded is that it comes into focus so well as a whole after the fact, when you see how every series focuses on specific areas of Baltimore life, and how they all feed into the systems that keep the poor oppressed and keep the drug trade going. There are really good character arcs going on almost in the background, especially among the kids, that aren't necessarily clear when you're in the weeds, but become so by the end. On not The Wire stuff, I'm a little late for the hype but otherwise pretty timely by my standards for TV watching, and have just started Small Prophets. Two episodes in and I adore it. A lovely weird little gem. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 17 Moderators Posted March 17 I haven't revisited the show at all since I first watched it, but I loved season 4. Probably my favourite. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 S4 is the best. Absolutely fantastic. The criticism of "nothing happening" is incredible to me. By S4 it's fucking jam packed with plot in every scene. Quote
Paid Members Bus Surfer Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) I watched it all back to back a few Christmases ago for the first time. Couldn't understand the hate for season 2. I absolutely loved the girls in the crate story and Subotka. Would go out on a limb and say season 4 was easily my favourite. The kids story was heartbreaking. I really struggled with season 5 though. Felt like it had jumped the shark totally and was hanging on. There's a McNulty scene involving a car which was just ridiculous. @FLips, if you're not too burned out after, I thoroughly recommend 'The Corner' which is made by David Simon and was basically the inspiration The Wire. Uses a lot of the cast too. All episodes are on youtube. Utterly bleak but captivating. The Audiobook is absolutely incredible also. Edited March 17 by Bus Surfer Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 Mouzone and Omar in the alleyway is in season 3. Stringer and Avon’s differing philosophies finishing their relationship, the “just a gangster, I suppose” chat, and the incredible scene where they reminisce and look out over what they’ve built together, each knowing they have stabbed the other in the back. Cutty’s whole story and the humanity it brings out of Avon. Bunny Colvin and Hamsterdam (and the meeting where Rawls finds out about it!). The introduction of Marlo and the arrival of Chris and Snoop. Slim Charles’ “if it’s a lie then we fight on that lie” speech. “Fine” is wild to me, but I am definitely in the “one of the best TV shows ever made” camp though, so we’re not likely to agree. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 20 Paid Members Posted March 20 I just finished the The Wire and let me just say I was completely wrong and had stupid reactionary opinions before I got the whole picture. Season 4 is a masterpiece. I’ll give my full thoughts when I’m not meant to be working but for now I’ll just say it was fantastic and my season order is 45321. Once you realise the show isn’t about one specific character or story but Baltimore as a City and the repeating cycle of the characters, the whole thing makes sense. There’s a ton I want to say but I will say Bubbles’ ending was perfect, as was the show’s ending in general. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted March 20 Posted March 20 1 hour ago, FLips said: I just finished the The Wire and let me just say I was completely wrong and had stupid reactionary opinions before I got the whole picture. Season 4 is a masterpiece. I’ll give my full thoughts when I’m not meant to be working but for now I’ll just say it was fantastic and my season order is 45321. Once you realise the show isn’t about one specific character or story but Baltimore as a City and the repeating cycle of the characters, the whole thing makes sense. There’s a ton I want to say but I will say Bubbles’ ending was perfect, as was the show’s ending in general. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt. I've always heard people say that the main character in The Wire is Baltimore. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.