The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

Nitro also even when shit still had hot crowds as well. But 3 hours of weekly wrestling TV is just impossible. The 2 hour/90 minutes without your ads TV seems to work fine. Smackdown proved it and AEW Dynamite proved other companies can work that format. But 3 hours is just too long, I get it's not totally on them. 

Also, given I've not regularly paid attention for a while, but RAW the show itself, just feels old dated and shite. I don't know what it is. But just RAW in its existence just feels dated and dull. The show is 28 years old. Smackdown weirdly doesn't and I can't really understand why. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

The Charlotte promo didn't strike for me because they kept having her switch between the hard camera and the in-ring camera like a fucking newsreader. It was well delivered and probably a welcome change for the character to just become a female Roman Reigns but it's just another thing that feels so inauthentic because of what they're asking of her.

Charlotte talking into the camera in the ring would have been really powerful because they had done away with that sort of thing but not like this. Poor lass was back and forth with the director trying to keep up too. Much more effective if she spoke to the hard cam and and then turned to speak directly down the in-ring camera to hit the message home.

Isn't it worrying that an absolute pleb like me can work that out but they pay professionals to cock it up.

28 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nitro also even when shit still had hot crowds as well. But 3 hours of weekly wrestling TV is just impossible. The 2 hour/90 minutes without your ads TV seems to work fine. Smackdown proved it and AEW Dynamite proved other companies can work that format. But 3 hours is just too long, I get it's not totally on them. 

Also, given I've not regularly paid attention for a while, but RAW the show itself, just feels old dated and shite. I don't know what it is. But just RAW in its existence just feels dated and dull. The show is 28 years old. Smackdown weirdly doesn't and I can't really understand why. 

I put it down to pacing, nothing on smackdown is stretched out, because of time restraints almost everything serves a purpose, so much on raw is clearly booked with the message 'take your time about doing it'.

Raw definitely needs freshening up in terms of format. RAW Underground was naff but i enjoyed the idea. The WWE network documentaries are so superb you would think they could work out a way to bring them into production and produce segments (especially in the Thunderdome era), 3 hours of wrestling and promos doesn't work in a landscape where there is just so much wrestling.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

The Charlotte promo didn't strike for me because they kept having her switch between the hard camera and the in-ring camera like a fucking newsreader. It was well delivered and probably a welcome change for the character to just become a female Roman Reigns but it's just another thing that feels so inauthentic because of what they're asking of her.

Charlotte talking into the camera in the ring would have been really powerful because they had done away with that sort of thing but not like this. Poor lass was back and forth with the director trying to keep up too. Much more effective if she spoke to the hard cam and and then turned to speak directly down the in-ring camera to hit the message home.

Isn't it worrying that an absolute pleb like me can work that out but they pay professionals to cock it up.

Definitely agree on the direction and camera work - sadly that's also the same as a lot of the in-ring stuff isn't it? However I felt her words and performance in general was light years ahead of what poor Rhea did backstage. That's probably the worst promo I've ever seen from her. I don't know what happened there.

The thing about the Charlotte promo was she was kinda right, outside of Banks v Belair every other woman match/segment at mania was poor.

There is a scary big gap between the elite women wrestlers (Flair, Banks, Bayley, now Belair) and everyone else. Watch that mania tag gauntlet and tell me who is on their level? Like anywhere NEAR their level?

I don't know why they don't make RAW more like a magazine show these days. Proper sit down interviews with different hosts, maybe showing clips of the odd 'on this day' classic match, videos of the stars getting up to stuff away from the ring or about their background (where they grew up/how they got into the WWE etc.) and have matches/angles disbursed in between that get dissected by a panel (like most Sports coverage shows).

It would get different formats and different hosts within the show so would presumably make it feel more lively. 

46 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

I don't know why they don't make RAW more like a magazine show these days. Proper sit down interviews with different hosts, maybe showing clips of the odd 'on this day' classic match, videos of the stars getting up to stuff away from the ring or about their background (where they grew up/how they got into the WWE etc.) and have matches/angles disbursed in between that get dissected by a panel (like most Sports coverage shows).

It would get different formats and different hosts within the show so would presumably make it feel more lively. 

Probably because that's not what USA Network are paying for.   Raw is a live event show and that's what USA Network want on at 8pm on a Monday.   They have other shows, This Week in WWE etc, plus endless YouTube videos, that cover all that stuff you want If that's what you want to watch, it's there for you.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Because they still think people might switch over to Nitro.

I had a thought... one of the things that Nitro changed was how Raw used to tell you 2/3 matches you could expect to see next week, then Nitro happened and as soon as Raw was live every week they started hardly ever announcing anything for “next week” apart from the occasional contenders match. I wonder if they might catch more viewers if they made more effort to consistently announce the forthcoming matches? Probably not since everyone’s over-exposed and wrestled everyone already but there’s nothing to lose. Since WCW died the “you’ll have to watch it to find out” approach has steadily resulted in fewer people bothering on a year by year basis. Maybe they’d catch more interest if they occasionally did, like....

”OK lads, next week we’ve got Matt Riddle against Keith Lee because they were both popular in NXT and you might enjoy them beating shit out of each other. Winner might be in line for a shot at Sheamus or something. If you prefer something a bit more smaller lads flying around, AJs wrestling Kofi again because that feud will run until at least WrestleMania Backlash if not longer. Sod teasing anything on Twitter or having it be a surprise- Becky Lynch is coming on the show NEXT WEEK to speak about her potential return date so definitely watch NEXT WEEK to find that out. Plus (insert another match with a vague connection to a feud for the PPV) and lots more, NEXT WEEK!” *

I mean, tell people what they’re going to see and a few more might decide to watch it.

* Not actual suggested pitch.

One of the things I miss most in wrestling is when a big name would announce a match the live crowd were salivating over... for the following week. I fucking loved watching as 20,000 people would slowly realise that all they were getting was the promo. They'd sour so quickly.

I haven't watched an episode of Raw since about 2006 and have no intention of watching the current one, but still enjoy coming on here and reading how badly the current iteration is going and the obvious ways it could be improved.

I think deep down I'm hoping to come on here one Tuesday afternoon and read that they've finally cracked it, Kevin Dunn has been drowned in a vat of toothpaste and Raw is must watch (or even just watchable) again. It's the hope that gets you I suppose!

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I had a thought... one of the things that Nitro changed was how Raw used to tell you 2/3 matches you could expect to see next week, then Nitro happened and as soon as Raw was live every week they started hardly ever announcing anything for “next week” apart from the occasional contenders match. I wonder if they might catch more viewers if they made more effort to consistently announce the forthcoming matches? Probably not since everyone’s over-exposed and wrestled everyone already but there’s nothing to lose. Since WCW died the “you’ll have to watch it to find out” approach has steadily resulted in fewer people bothering on a year by year basis. Maybe they’d catch more interest if they occasionally did, like....

”OK lads, next week we’ve got Matt Riddle against Keith Lee because they were both popular in NXT and you might enjoy them beating shit out of each other. Winner might be in line for a shot at Sheamus or something. If you prefer something a bit more smaller lads flying around, AJs wrestling Kofi again because that feud will run until at least WrestleMania Backlash if not longer. Sod teasing anything on Twitter or having it be a surprise- Becky Lynch is coming on the show NEXT WEEK to speak about her potential return date so definitely watch NEXT WEEK to find that out. Plus (insert another match with a vague connection to a feud for the PPV) and lots more, NEXT WEEK!” *

I mean, tell people what they’re going to see and a few more might decide to watch it.

* Not actual suggested pitch.

I don't think that's possible for WWE because they rewrite the show so much that nothing they announce would actually happen. I think they like the option of being able to change everything up until the second the show starts.

1 hour ago, kieranjennings said:

I remember an interview w Cornette, Alvarez or Meltzer. Apparently WWE commit to a set number of live broadcasts over the course of a month or quarter. This is what the companies are paying for. Not replays or non match content. That's on other things as people have said. 

They simply need to cut back to two hours and feature actual wrestling w heels, faces and a fight. This isn't that difficult. WWE are trying too hard to be mainstream yet they are battling against actual mainstream programs.