The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

They may have lost millions of viewers but they're making more money than they ever did. Whether that is sustainable long term is another matter, but they don't seem to care about the standard of TV product they put out because it has no real effect on their bottom line. Which is all that matters at the end of the day. 

We all know that. And no one disputes it. But you're talking like everyone moans but still watches every week. Apart from @Supremo, who is a nutter, no one does. Practically everyone just reads about it, sees it on social media or dips in and out if there's big news or a big show. Hence the massive drop in viewership. And it doesn't matter a bit because traditional viewership is practically irrelevant. 

I don't buy that argument that they don't care about their standard of TV product though as I can go weeks missing Raw and it is still the same when I go back to it yet I thoroughly enjoy SmackDown every week which I believe has mostly the same writing team.

If they don't care, why are both not poor? There's a massive inconsistency in Raw and SmackDown that I cannot put my finger on.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, FUM said:

I don't buy that argument that they don't care about their standard of TV product though as I can go weeks missing Raw and it is still the same when I go back to it yet I thoroughly enjoy SmackDown every week which I believe has mostly the same writing team.

If they don't care, why are both not poor? There's a massive inconsistency in Raw and SmackDown that I cannot put my finger on.

I think it's a combination of the length, and them never really being able to solve the conundrum of three hours every week, and Vince being more invested in Raw and constantly having his sticky fingers all over it.

Smackdown has almost always been better since they split again. They'll do a draft and ruin it for a bit and then it'll settle down again. It's much easier to fill two hours and they seem to book far more traditionally and logically, which I can only put down to not having to cater to Vince's whims.

Should add, I barely follow SmackDown at all. Can only put that down to it being on Friday night. When it used to be Tuesdays, I'd check Twitter or YouTube habitually but now, nothing. 

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

@tiger_rickThat's fair, but I can't understand investing so much energy into something that is blatantly not for us anymore and hasn't been for a long tine. They said it over the weekend. They're a media company that happens to have a ring in the arena each week. I guess it's my fault for reading this thread, but the same comments made every week about how they're doing it wrong when they clearly don't give a single fuck is fascinating and crazy all at the same time. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

@tiger_rickThat's fair, but I can't understand investing so much energy into something that is blatantly not for us anymore and hasn't been for a long tine. They said it over the weekend. They're a media company that happens to have a ring in the arena each week. I guess it's my fault for reading this thread, but the same comments made every week about how they're doing it wrong when they clearly don't give a single fuck is fascinating and crazy all at the same time. 

We've all wasted thousands upon thousands of hours in our lives being wrestling fans. It's hardly a surprise that we're still interested, however much, in what the biggest company in the industry is up to. Those who aren't either don't come here anymore or post off topic.

Edited by tiger_rick

Putting on a watchable 3 hour show every single week is near impossible. PPVs can be a slog at 3 hours and they're usually full of pay offs and bigger matches etc, so there's no chance for Raw.

Certainly not blaming the length as the sole or even primary reason why it's shit, but it really doesn't help.

I think Smackdown being better is mainly down to it being two hours and Heyman, Roman, Bryan and Edge having some agency in what they're doing. Is the rest of it any better?

They certainly roped me in like a fool with the goodwill coming off the weekend. What a massive shit sandwich to eat that I can't wait to moan about . .

- The new announcer had a mare. He was different from the other robots which is in his favour but addressing the "WWE audience" in his first segment? Woof. Never got the right emphasis on anything with his Kermit The Frog voice.

- Kicking off the Raw after Wrestlemania with an oppressively long heel beatdown on a babyface Riddle that it's impossible to like. Miserable start.

- Rhea Ripley looking like the wheels are already falling off. About to hit Charlotte brick wall, and they've seemingly micromanaged all the cool and confidence out of her and she's having bad matches with Asuska. 

- Following up Damien Priest's big spotlight win at Wrestlemania with a roll-up loss to the Miz in his underpants. 

- Babyfaces Dana Brook and Mandy Rose walking out of their match in fear and accepting the count-out loss like cowards. Then their music plays as if they'd won and they look all smug on the ramp. The most offensive example of the "wins and losses don't matter" philosophy I think I've ever seen.

- Splitting up a group that had some chemistry in the Hurt Business then replacing Cedric and Shelton with the two tall dudes from defunct jobber group Retribution. It's like when they split up The Iconics for no reason to put them in inferior teams. Truly mental behaviour.

- Lore of The Fiend

Alexa Bliss Introduces New 'Friend' Lilly On WWE Raw After WrestleMania

Bring back Samoa Joe in a poncho. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

There are plenty of people on here who hate watch through Raw then can't wait to come into this thread to moan about it. Baffling. 

It’s far easier and more fun to not watch it but complain about the booking anyway!

Just a really odd show, it felt like it was written and not re-read, what we saw was first and final draft.

Simple thigs that would have made the show ALOT better-

-Lashley v Riddle announced on WWE.com during the day and headlined first hour instead of stupid set up segment and 15 min squash to start the show.

-Main Event announced in opening of show then spend the next 2 and half hours hyping it up, having each guy do a promo.

-Charlotte returning at the end of Rhipley v Asuka, taking them both out THEN doing that promo.

-Not having your face tag team RUN AWAY from heel and LOSE the match and then act like they have 'got one over' on the heel. At least have Nia jax slip on the outside on the 9 count, lose the match by count out then the faces run away having picked up a surprise count out win.

Charlotte is a really impressive performer in the fact the she is obviously really talented and yet while her dad was always a GREAT heel, there was still a bit of a likeability around Slick Ric. With Charlotte you don't get any likeability, so her heel turn last turn was almost meta as she's practically been a heel until she buggered off by all accounts. She also had a proper weird problem with Kairi Sane that no-one in the company made an effort to address, she nearly killed that woman a few times and got away with it.

• Paid Members

Why would anyone try and turn Charlotte face to begin with after the Lynch series proved everyone’s fucking sick of her? They nearly destroyed Sasha with their obsession with making “the Queen” in that stupid run of losing the belt on Raw and winning it back on PPV, I was so pleased to see Banks main event half a WrestleMania these years later after rehabilitating herself from being made to look such a loser/choke artist/quitter by that shitty shitty booking.

3 Hours definitely kills Raw dead. Nitro went downhill fast when they tried to stretch 2 hours of big names and great wrestlers into 3 hours and more filler started creeping in/people get bored and tired from open to end, especially when they start the show with an angle you have to wait 3 hours to see resolved (sometimes).