The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I'll caveat this by saying that I know you're just repeating what someone else has said, FUM. This genuinely isn't aimed at you. 

However, it's really interesting to note the language used when talking about Sasha and Naomi. "Tantrum", "hissy fit" etc. While I'm not saying these phrases aren't - and haven't been - used while talking about male wrestlers, it's pretty telling that almost every time a female wrestler is reported to have an issue with management, these words rear their ugly heads. It's disproportionately prominent. 

It's worth saying that I don't think Alvarez used the word tantrum, and FUM is just using shorthand. You're right more generally though

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

At the end of the day, it's a job, and if you're not happy in your job, you're well within your rights to complain to your boss.

And to take it further, you're well within your rights to quit if the boss doesn't listen to you. And most of our jobs don't involve you risking injury every time you do the job.

1 hour ago, stewdogg said:

Sasha doesn't do bad from her merch I'd bet, nor Naomi either. The amount of youngsters wearing Boss glasses, and having glowsticks is insane. Perhaps they're thinking they should be worth more because their merch is a good seller, which is a pretty shitty take on other entertainers in the company.

Is it? Merch is always used as a metric as to who or what is over and what the audience connect to. If your merch is outselling most of the others, it shows you have leverage and marketability. 
Stone Cold 3:16 t shirts spring to mind. 

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Probably got something to do with how the better you do, the higher up the card you’re positioned, means the more you get paid and the more T-shirts you sell which in turn means AGAIN how much you get paid, how much attention you get for sponsorships and acting gigs etc which are other ways to get paid etc. Its not a perfect parallel to EastEnders as some seem to think.

Isn't that the same for all entertainment though. The more exposure you have then the more doors will be opened for advertising contracts, other TV gigs or movies.  I can see why wrestlers were more protective of their image in the 70s/80s when you'd make a living going from territory to territory and your drawing power could be hit if you were made to look a fool/wimp on the way out of your last place.

It doesn't work like that though now does it. They are basically TV performers and sure, you may discuss the direction of your character, but you still have to deliver what you are contracted for surely else it's the wild west. 

47 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

Isn't that the same for all entertainment though. The more exposure you have then the more doors will be opened for advertising contracts, other TV gigs or movies. 

Not really because you have to be talented and, for the purposes of adverts, be liked by the audience. An extreme example is Laurence Fox. A mediocre actor getting by but as soon as he opened his mouth, his family name isn’t opening the doors anymore because he’s an awful bollocks. On the other end of the spectrum you have Danny Dyer, a pretty poor actor but because he is liked (over, if you will) he gets the gigs. 

• Paid Members

It's relentlessly depressing just how many people are willing to jump to this company's defence and doubt the intentions and stances of individual performers against it.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, kieranjennings said:

Isn't that the same for all entertainment though. The more exposure you have then the more doors will be opened for advertising contracts, other TV gigs or movies.  I can see why wrestlers were more protective of their image in the 70s/80s when you'd make a living going from territory to territory and your drawing power could be hit if you were made to look a fool/wimp on the way out of your last place.

It doesn't work like that though now does it. They are basically TV performers and sure, you may discuss the direction of your character, but you still have to deliver what you are contracted for surely else it's the wild west. 

They're TV performers that risk injury performing and get more money depending on their place on the card and how popular they are with the fans. Ken Barlow wasn't getting a cut of merch depending on how many tshirts with him punching Mike Baldwin they were selling.

Also, wrestlers are expected to be a lot more invested in their characters than actors. It's really reductive to say "they're basically just TV actors, get over it", because they're "in character" a lot more than actors and have to travel the country where they're expected to be in character (or at least near it) and then they have to go hurt themselves for the cheering crowd. It's really not the same.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, Duke said:

It's worth saying that I don't think Alvarez used the word tantrum, and FUM is just using shorthand. You're right more generally though.

Yeah to be fair to him, that was me. I do agree with the other poster who said that wrestling is one place you do see those sort of terms towards men as much as women. On a wider scale of the entire entertainment industry, it’s a fair remark though.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

A tournament! Haha! How many teams do they have? Two?

If they weren't so stubborn and dead set on being the only place in town, they could really make it interesting by bringing in outside teams. 

More chance of Santina Marella teaming with Jillian Hall.