WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Managed to squeeze in about ten games on the Halo Infinite testing flight this weekend which was very enjoyable. Jumped for joy winning my first three games until I realised I was playing against AI bots and they were 'easy'. When they improved the difficulty I went back to being shit.

Started The Ascent and whilst it looks pretty, it reminds me to Crusader on PSOne. Which isnt a bad thing, its just a bit samey. Will keep trying to see if it hooks me in.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm tempted to dig out the 3DS now. It must be somewhere. Such a weird bit of kit that I often forget ever existed.

You absolutely should. There are loads of hidden gems for that console, and even the games that are expensive physically are still available at a relatively reasonable price on the digital store. The 3D is also far more effective than I'd remembered. It's just beautiful in A Link Between Worlds, and really adds to the gameplay in a way that I hadn't expected that it would. 

• Paid Members

@TildeGuy~!I got a switch lite and the only time it's an issue is playing a game where it's designed completely around motion control, like the Mario Galaxy port. It can still be played but it's clunky to control.

Outside that it's surprisingly good for everything else I've played including skyrim, borderlands and bioshock where I thought the screen size might be a pain with a lot going on but thankfully it isn't in my opinion. 

Edited by Tommy!

Have 8BitDo not invented some sort of dongle that lets you hook the lite up to the telly? Surely it’s doable.

The Switch is great and the Lite works absolutely fine but Nintendo are fucking trash. Wanna catch up on all that Nintendo gaming you’ve missed out on over the years? Tough shit, we’ll drip feed you our back catalogue with minor quality of life tweaks (if any) and charge you £50 for our old games. I do love them though, the pricks.

21 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Have 8BitDo not invented some sort of dongle that lets you hook the lite up to the telly? Surely it’s doable.

The Switch is great and the Lite works absolutely fine but Nintendo are fucking trash. Wanna catch up on all that Nintendo gaming you’ve missed out on over the years? Tough shit, we’ll drip feed you our back catalogue with minor quality of life tweaks (if any) and charge you £50 for our old games. I do love them though, the pricks.

The problem is the USB-C port, they've taken out the stuff that feeds video from it so it'd be damn hard to come up with something to do it.

Because I'm a fucking idiot, I've completely killed my PS4 whilst cleaning it. It's irreparable and I can't afford to replace it at the moment. So instead I've installed the Gamecube emulator on my laptop and have had a blast playing through Def Jam Vendetta today. I've installed a bunch of games that will keep me occupied for a while. 

Any hidden gems I need to be aware of? 

Is anyone getting Chernobylite? Reviews on PC so far are decent to great and it looks like it could be a nice little Stalker-lite fix before the new game comes out. I think console versions come out next month.

Edited by Merzbow

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah, the amount of goodwill Nintendo are afforded is genuinely absurd. I know people will say they're not competing with Sony and Microsoft, but a lot of their tech and UI infrastructure is still so half arsed in this day and age. 

There'll invariably be an awkwardly timed successor to the Switch mid way through the PS5 and Series X lifecycle again, it'll get the usual first party runs, and then will revert for the second half of its lifecycle to being an underpowered dumping ground for bloatware. Rinse and repeat. 

They're printing money though. Why change. 

• Paid Members

While there's no excuse with Nintendo in terms of how behind the times they are with hardware or online functionality, the sense of entitlement people have about their back catalogue is insane.
Why should Nintendo be expected to just have full access to their back catalogue? Sony don't, and unless you have the physical disc Microsoft don't either. The Switch Online service has some stinkers but nearly every "big" NES and SNES game is on it, and if you want Gamecube and N64 so bad just emulate it because that's all the Switch will be anyway.