WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Got the Platinum on the remaster of Far Cry 3 on PS4. I love that game, the main story is fantastic and the game itself is a ton of fun whether you're sneakily perched on a hill taking down an outpost with a sniper rifle, hunting ferocious animals in the jungle or simply chilling out with a beer playing poker in a dive bar, Far Cry 3 is all-round fantastic.

Special mention to Vaas Montenegro, who must be one of the greatest characters in gaming. The guy who voiced him hit it out of the park with this one - totally unhinged, mesmerizing performance. I remember playing Far Cry 4 on PS3 which, while very fun, seemed like it was for the most part just Far Cry 3 only in the Himalayas. I'll probably pick it up at some point and play it again and I've never played 5 before so I'll need to get on that too. 

"Did I ever tell you the definition....of insanity?"

All that and no mention of Citra? Phwooooaarr!

One of my favourite gaming memories was playing Far Cry 3. I was perched above an outpost early on in the game wondering how on earth I was going to clear it. Suddenly there was a commotion when a tiger walked in. I sat above laughing my box off as the tiger tore them all to shreds. I also got a cheevo for clearing an outpost undetected! 

• Paid Members

Make It Bun Dem is a great song. I got it, stuck it on very low difficulty and still struggled. If I had a keyboard and louse I'd have a fighting chance, but shooters and controllers don't work for me. I think the only reason I made it through Outer Worlds was because I had two companions to do all the shooting for me. 

• Paid Members
On 6/22/2021 at 1:35 PM, BomberPat said:

I do wonder how I'd feel about the game if I didn't have a ton of nostalgia attached to it - I didn't play any of the other Alex Kidd games until years later, 

I had played Miracle world to death as a youngster and when I eventually played the 'Magic Stars' version It was too much for a brain to handle. It was absolutely nothing like Miracle World and my child like mind couldn't fathom how it could be so different and crap. It was like getting a knock off pair of Nike off a market stall. 

Mario 2 brought similar feelings. 

Edit - me and the misses just spent about 5 hours completing Alex Kidd in Miracle world. Must have used a thousand lives on the infinite mode. There's no way I could do it with a normal amount. 

I never finished it as a kid. The block puzzle at the end of Cragg Lake was infuriating. After about an hour we deicided to look up the order and even then it was hard not to set off the ghost because as mentioned the jumping mechanics are a bit iffy. 

I'm never going back. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
On 6/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Weezenal said:

Sonic Mania is free on Epic Games this week.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/sonic-mania

It's a heck of a game. The update with Ray the Flying Squirrel & Mighty The Armadillo is good as well. I'm not as good at Sonic games as I remember. I blame the switch from 50Hz on my PAL Megadrive to them now all running at 60Hz and not being able to keep up with the speed. 

• Paid Members

Picked up Formula Retro Racing on my XBox One for a tenner. If you like Virtua Racing this is as good as you're going to get away from Switch or eBay. It captures the look and something of the feel, although it's a little more arcadey than the original VR. It's got a nice selection of tracks, with Fuji Raceway and Monte Carlo making appearances as well. Decent price as well. There's an Arcade mode and a mode called Eliminator where you have to stay above 10th position (there are 20 cars to a race) with the AI cars getting faster and faster whenever you complete a lap. A rearview mirror would be nice, or even just being able to see behind you with a button press in cockpit view. It lets you look behind you using the chase cameras, but it swings around the car, which can be a bit time consuming, but according to the Devs there are improvements and patches coming. It's fun, and a decent price as well.

Gamepass' streaming service can now be played on PC, so if you have a potato for a computer you can still play a bunch of games. I've found that it has some bad input lag but that could be an issue with my internet, it's fine playing a turn based game like Gears Tactics tho.

• Paid Members

I picked up the mobile one for my phone this morning. The board at Blackburn have askedfor a mid-table finish, but seem unhappy that we're currently mid-table. It's a strange beast.