WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

213506354_1227408474361189_5555869439895 

Chuffed about this! Obtained the Platinum in GTA Vice City. By and large, it was a super fun time as Vice City is a great game with a killer soundtrack but the final trophy - Take The Cannoli - is completely fucking horrendous and made a stark contrast to an otherwise wonderful game.

For those who don't know, this trophy requires you to reach the rank of Godfather which entails earning 10 million dollars and having a Criminal Rating of 1 million. However, after achieving the coveted 100% complete, my Criminal Rating was only just over 4000. To do this legitimately would probably take hundreds and hundreds of hours. As it stands, I used a workaround involving gathering 7 helicopters in close proximity and using the blow up all vehicles cheat. Over and over again. Thousands of times. Must have been typing in that fucking cheat code at least 7 or 8 hours in total, and annoyingly, some of the helicopters (which give you points when exploded) would continuously despawn after a few minutes requiring me to trek and collect more. Honestly, it's probably one of the most tedious, dull and monotonous slogs I've ever done in a game but it was all worth it to collect that sweet, sweet Plat.

It would be a very warranted and good question at this point to ask "Spirit, why the fuck would you needlessly put yourself through that?" and my answer is simply because when I had already been awarded 90% of the trophies and had only one more to get, I was determined to finish the job and get another Platinum for my collection. A touch of OCD too, I would suspect. 

A month or so back I polished off the Platinum in GTA 3 so I have San Andreas next to complete the set. Going to finish off Far Cry 4 first and maybe the first Jak and Daxter, which I downloaded after having fond memories of it from my boyhood, and then I might have to set out to becoming King not just of Liberty City and Vice City but of the entire state of San Andreas too. 

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

• Paid Members

This looks like it could be fun. A lot of Nickelodeon characters from different eras of the show look to be in it as well. 

• Paid Members

as far as Smash Bros clones goes, that looks fun. The only downside is that Smash Bros works because it adapts existing game characters and their "movesets" and abilities into a fighting game in a way that makes sense. The reason this tends to fall apart in other franchises is that there isn't an existing set of "moves" and abilities to pull from, so a lot of it ends up being quite arbitrary - what "moves" do Nigel Thornberry or the kids from Hey! Arnold have?

The Kingdom Hearts series was (is?) massively reduced on the PS Store, something like £70 reduced, so picked that up as I'm not really playing anything at the moment and the other half just finished Bugsnax. I've played the first and second game way back when, but can't really remember much of them, and my girlfriend's never played any of it. I'm currently playing through 1 while she plays through 2.

2 in particular is really slow starting, and full of all the bullshit confusing storytelling that underpins this daft kids' game for some reason. I'm starting to really annoy her by, every time a bunch of blokes in black cloaks start talking incomprehensible rubbish, saying, "do you remember when this was a game about Donald Duck being a wizard?". 

• Paid Members

That's the Far Cry 4 Platinum now done. I mentioned previously that I remembered 4 as being more of the same as the third game but, after having revisited it 5 years later, that wasn't really fair. Yes, much of the game mechanics are similar with the outposts and radio towers and such but I loved all the extra detail in the world - the propaganda posters and, especially, the masks of Yalung and all the darkly poetic beauty in the notes left alongside. I had forgotten about how you can make pretty major decisions throughout when dealing with various leaders and even Pagan Min himself and it was a great touch letting the player decide which of the 2 strands of the rebel movement he favoured (Sabal all the way!) The whole thing felt much more fleshed out than Far Cry 3 and and the story was first class. I really like how the weapons feel in this game - I make special mention to the sniper rifle. That's got to be the most fun I've ever had in a sniper rifle in any game. 

The Platinum was by and large pretty easy to get with nothing giving me too much difficulty. Beforehand, I was a little worried about the offline trophies (god I hate offline trophies) because with an old game like this, the servers are usually pretty much deserted. I got lucky though and there were people on at the time and I found a guy on Reddit willing to help out with the quick co-op trophies. 

Shout out to Pagan Min for being another bloody amazing Far Cry character. Stole the show whenever he appeared, even when it was just over the radio, and I could listen to his wit for hours. Very different character to Vaas but similarly as captivating. 

Far Cry 4 worth a buy? I say: Definitely! For the story mode alone, and while there are a good variety of other missions, the sheer number of them can get a bit repetitive but they're all optional unless you want to get 100%. I'll have a wee break from Far Cry and play a couple of other things next and then I'm going to give 5 a go! 

• Paid Members

Got the platinum in Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy this evening. I played the game when I was a kid so this was full of nostalgia for me. Even today, it's a very fun game and it provides a few hours of an enjoyable romp through a world bursting with colour and charm. I've never played Jak 2 or 3 but I don't have any real urge to do so, having heard that the series took a totally different turn and tried to be gritty instead of joyfully cartoonish.

Jak 1 is grand though. I love a good platformer and collectathon and this game has both in spades. It's quite short too - I'd recommend Precursor Legacy to anyone who's wanting a game they can play and complete over the course of a weekend. It's not too hard as well which is nice. 

I did have a bit of an issue getting the Platinum as the game seemed to run into a bug in the final cutscene and I wasn't awarded the extra item I needed and so the trophy didn't pop. I was raging but thankfully I found a fix round it. 

• Paid Members

Picked up the Streets Of Rage 4 DLC the other afternoon. The new characters are interesting. Estel does some huge combos, her defensive special is a little blast of electricity which stuns enemies around her, her star move is the police car she uses against you when you've got her energy down in a boss fight. Her grab is different as well. She gets the enemy in a headlock rather than the usual judo/Thai boxing style grab and does punches to the head. 

Max is Max, he moves faster than he did in Streets Of Rage 2, and feels a little faster than Floyd. His moves are pretty much the same as he had in SOR2, the Atomic Drop still does ridiculous damage, as does his star move if you're in the right place. 

Shiva is a glass cannon. He doesn't seem to have a lot of health, but hits quickly, and can string together some nice chains for decent damage. He can't use weapons, but it you stand by a weapon and press the pick up button he'll flick it into the air and fire it in the direction he's facing. He's a really technical character. 

I just had a trot through the first level with them to see what they were all about. I'm not sure whether it'll change the story if you fight Estel as Estel, but I can't imagine it would. 

There are also colour pallet choices for the SOR4 characters now. Axel & Blaze have pallets themed around how they looked in Streets Of Rage 3.

I haven't had a look at survival mode yet, but will probably have a look while I'm off tomorrow or Friday. It's well worth a look if you enjoyed the original. 

EDIT: Also you can unlock Roo from SOR 3 now. On the title screen hold up and square (or up and X on XBox) on story mode for a few seconds, then start the game and he'll be there on the character select screen. Finish a level with him and he'll be peranently unlocked. He can't use weapons at all, and has everything he had in SOR 3. For his star move he summons Bruce (the clown miniboss from SOR3) to come and fight alongside you all for a little while.

Survival mode is fun. There's a random survival mode, and a weekly challenge. You spawn in a room with random enemies (or predetermined if you're doing the weekly challenge) and fight your way through. The enemies could be any of the grunt enemies or mid bosses from the whole Streets OF Rage series. There are pickup crates with money, health, weapons, but could also be environmental hazards. Once you've cleared the stage you get a choice of 2 or three power ups (some add an effect like oison, fire, or electricity to your special, blitz or weapon attacks, some will give you reduced health loss from specials, reduced damage from foes, extra star moves etc, there are a lot to discover) and then onto the next room. Every 4 or so levels you'll end up in a boss room, which will contain what appears to be any boss from a Streets Of Rage game. Mr X, those fat fire breathing guys from the end of level 3 in the first Streets Of Rage (Whose name is Bongo), Abadede, 3 Shivas.

As you play through you earn extra moves for your characters as well, and they've created some extra moves for the old versions of the characters too. So you get the option to switch your blitz attack, specials, or star moves out for alternate moves which may better fit your play style, and can totally change the way a character plays. There's a lot to do It's well through out.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I think this is the right thread but finally managed to get a PS5 on order yesterday so hopefully be with me by the end of the month. Had to order the console with the Spiderman game which is probably fine for a first game.

Any other suggestions on games to pick up? Call Of Duty worth it? (normally love them to be fair). 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BigJag said:

Has anyone tried out the game in todays Google banner? Nice retro SNES RPG style game. With a bit of an Olympics theme.

Simple yet good fun.

I sat for a few hours before working playing it! Got all the trophies!

Flight Sim is available for preinstall on the new Xboxes. Very much looking forward to flying over my own housing estate on Tuesday. I've never played anything like it so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm not a sim gamer but I do love just booting up something like Skyrim to aimlessly wander in as a form of relaxation. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

On 7/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, Briefcase said:

I think this is the right thread but finally managed to get a PS5 on order yesterday so hopefully be with me by the end of the month. Had to order the console with the Spiderman game which is probably fine for a first game.

Any other suggestions on games to pick up? Call Of Duty worth it? (normally love them to be fair). 

Did you skip the last generation or are you only looking for current gen recommendations?

6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

If you're looking for a (very) moderately priced tennis game on the Xbox One then Tennis World Tour is under £3 on a deals with Gold offer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/tennis-world-tour/bzx8lhqfccrh

or if you want Nadal and a licenced arena included you'll have to throw down £7 https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/tennis-world-tour-roland-garros-edition/bv1ghbxb8ndd

For £3 I'm quite happy with the purchase.

I very nearly paid 20 quid for this the other month, thanks very much!!