WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

@SpiritOfTheForest you are a fucking mad man. I tried Crash Bandicoot and was shocked at how insanely hard it was and how quickly into the game it got so hard. The idea of platinum-ing that game is horrifying to me. Well done, sir.

I just finished Little Nightmares 2. The look, atmosphere and sound design of this game (and the original) is absolutely superb and incredibly creative and unique. Worth playing for that alone. The gameplay and puzzles are pretty good for the most part except for one particular section where the controls just feel broken and not done properly so getting through was very, very painful. I think my PS4 is coming to the end of its shelf life...I'm really struggling to find new stuff to play.

Cheers! It was brutal but it was mostly about patience and trial and error with a fair bit of luck in a couple of levels. Games like this are all about muscle memory so after multiple tries various parts of the levels would become second nature. Indeed, for The High Road I eventually found I played better when my mind wandered a little and I was effectively playing on autopilot. I treated the harder levels the same way I did Flappy Goat: as soon as I could feel myself becoming stressed out or overly annoyed, I took a break and treated these levels with good humour and a "Haha maybe I'll get it next time" mentality. Getting raging at this game is recipe for failure. Apparently, 1 is the hardest, 2 is slightly more lenient but still hard and 3 is a fair bit easier. Think now I've got the first I'll move on to the second after I've played something else first to freshen things up. Would be nice to get the whole trilogy Plat-ed one day!

• Paid Members

Picked up Forza Motorsport 7 in the sale the other day. It's fun, but I know it'll reach a point where I'm not going to have the reaction times/coordination to do the races in faster cars and end up doing hot laps of the Nurburgring, Le Mans and the Top Gear test track in a 2CV. There's some grindy nonsense and loot boxes involved as well, but it all looks like it uses in game currency as opposed to any microtransactions. 

On 8/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, LaGoosh said:

I just finished Little Nightmares 2. The look, atmosphere and sound design of this game (and the original) is absolutely superb and incredibly creative and unique. Worth playing for that alone. The gameplay and puzzles are pretty good for the most part except for one particular section where the controls just feel broken and not done properly so getting through was very, very painful.

I think I know the section you’re referring to, and if I do, it’s where I gave up. Is what happens next worth the frustration? Should I give it another try?

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think I know the section you’re referring to, and if I do, it’s where I gave up. Is what happens next worth the frustration? Should I give it another try?

The flashlight section. I eventually got through it by a mix of closely copying YouTube videos and running like a mad man/dumb luck. It's one of the most frustrating sections of a game I've played in years. If you were enjoying the game til that point I'd say crack on and give it another go as it is good afterwards but also wouldn't blame anyone for giving up.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The flashlight section. I eventually got through it by a mix of closely copying YouTube videos and running like a mad man/dumb luck. It's one of the most frustrating sections of a game I've played in years. If you were enjoying the game til that point I'd say crack on and give it another go as it is good afterwards but also wouldn't blame anyone for giving up.

Yeah, that’s the one and I felt exactly the same. I’ll maybe give it another try then. 

Final Fantasy XIV (PS4) 

Tried it a couple of times in the past but never really stuck with it. 

Giving it a proper go this time and really enjoying myself. Very accessible for an MMO and no toxicity at all so far. 

Just done the first two instance raids (watched videos first like a good little geek) and both went perfectly. Also nice that they were pretty easy which is a good way of easing new players in. 

Also helps that I've set a goal for myself going in Pugilust>Rogue>Ninja. Currently lvl 24 Pugilist.

Getting early Guild Wars 2 vibes which is a good thing. 

Hard to believe that the original was apparently a complete dumpster fire. 

• Paid Members
On 8/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, Merzbow said:

Anyone had much luck cleaning out a PS4? Mines been getting noisier and started lagging and crashing, a database rebuild seems to have helped for now but I'm going to blow the dust out and re-plug in the HDD etc.

I followed a YT vid and stripped the PS4 down, unclogged and removed a whole mess of dust and fluff, and the fucking thing was still back to being super-rocket powered loud within three days. It's massively frustrating, I've only had it since 2015 and it started to go downhill a couple years ago. I guess this serves me right for having an Xbox 360 for over a decade that never red-ringed once.

22 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I followed a YT vid and stripped the PS4 down, unclogged and removed a whole mess of dust and fluff, and the fucking thing was still back to being super-rocket powered loud within three days. It's massively frustrating, I've only had it since 2015 and it started to go downhill a couple years ago. I guess this serves me right for having an Xbox 360 for over a decade that never red-ringed once.

I don't think current consoles will be much different, it feels like they're now just PC's in really unsuitable cases.

• Paid Members
On 8/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Train Sim World 2 is on Game Pass. See you later. 

If you picked up any of the add-ons from the last one they carry over as well. It looks decent in the newer version of Unreal. There are some stability issues, I hear, but it's still fun. 

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2021 at 11:21 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Final Fantasy XIV (PS4) 

Tried it a couple of times in the past but never really stuck with it. 

Giving it a proper go this time and really enjoying myself. Very accessible for an MMO and no toxicity at all so far. 

Just done the first two instance raids (watched videos first like a good little geek) and both went perfectly. Also nice that they were pretty easy which is a good way of easing new players in. 

Also helps that I've set a goal for myself going in Pugilust>Rogue>Ninja. Currently lvl 24 Pugilist.

Getting early Guild Wars 2 vibes which is a good thing. 

Hard to believe that the original was apparently a complete dumpster fire. 

Pugilist is independent of Rogue/Ninja, it feeds into Monk instead which is still a top-tier melee DPS. 

It was a complete mess until Yoshi P rewrote everything and it went stratospheric. Indeed, it's *too* popular at the moment because everything's bloody fulll and queue times to just start the game up were ridiculous; there's apparently more capacity coming on in the lead-up to the next expansion out in November

/ Summoner main, LVL 79 but slightly overlevelled for where I'm at and still only doing normal-tier content

Edited by seph